Heron Armoury?

Open to public view.

Postby Caz » 28 Mar 2006 09:38

Stunt Weasel wrote:I hide behind no sofa !!!

It's a loveseat.

Mario

:lol: :lol:

tart
Caroline Stewart
"Stylish , but a slight bit lazy, maybe?" - Carlo 26 Giugno 2008

Director/Founder - The School of the Sword
HEMAC
Caz
Brigadier

Postby Stunt Weasel » 28 Mar 2006 09:40

Tarts are delicious (and, yes, I'm always thinking about sweet foods). :D

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby J Marwood » 28 Mar 2006 09:40

[quote="Kim Young]Thanks James. Does Tim Noyes make only for re-enactment? When I heard that he did custom stuff I wondered whether it was WMA quality.
Kim[/quote]

TBH Kim, I don't know. I've only handled this one piece he made...

If you do want something really nice then go for the guy who is doing Matt's longsword - even the messed-up first attempt I handled a couple of weeks back is better than pretty muche everything else I have handled.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Caz » 28 Mar 2006 09:41

J Marwood wrote:If you do want something really nice then go for the guy who is doing Matt's longsword - even the messed-up first attempt I handled a couple of weeks back is better than pretty muche everything else I have handled.

Who dat den???
Caroline Stewart

HEMAC
Caz
Brigadier

Postby Kim Young » 28 Mar 2006 09:45

Kim Young wrote:
admin wrote: .... you should get some more of your lot to come and say hi - they don't really come online very often do they?

I'm the advance guard! :) (i.e. the one they're willing to sacrifice).
The others are waiting to see whether I come back full of arrows. :D
Kim

Caz wrote:
Stunt Weasel wrote:Oh, very well Caz ... I shot Kim with an arrow at point blank range ...

Thank you...

And I've just recorded that last comment and will be passing it to the relevant authorites.... "assault with a deadly weapon"????

Matt, Could be some time before you see the rest of ASG :wink: ........
Kim
"sofft and ffayre ynogh!"
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby J Marwood » 28 Mar 2006 09:47

Caz wrote:
Who dat den???

I can't remember the name now :( I'm sure Matt will chime in with it...
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 28 Mar 2006 09:50

Kim Young wrote:Matt, Could be some time before you see the rest of ASG :wink: ........

Argh !!!!!! Are you trying to get me in trouble? I already apologized for trying to kill you. What more do you want?

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Kim Young » 28 Mar 2006 09:53

J Marwood wrote: If you do want something really nice then go for the guy who is doing Matt's longsword - even the messed-up first attempt I handled a couple of weeks back is better than pretty much everything else I have handled.

Who's making Matt's sword? Paul Macdonald made my first sword and I love it, but I'm always interested in what else is out there.

Have you handled any of Paul's work? I've put in an order for another one, but I'm still dithering over the quillons. I'm also hoping to sound out some of the Czech makers at Tewkesbury.
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Fab » 28 Mar 2006 09:58

J Marwood wrote:I can't remember the name now :( I'm sure Matt will chime in with it...

Mark Vickers perhaps ?
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Kim Young » 28 Mar 2006 09:59

Stunt Weasel wrote: I already apologized for trying to kill you. What more do you want?

Mario

I think it's about now that I'm supposed to give you the beads and the mirrors and get you to pledge allegiance to The Queen (Princess Anne will do).
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby J Marwood » 28 Mar 2006 10:00

Fab wrote:
J Marwood wrote:I can't remember the name now :( I'm sure Matt will chime in with it...

Mark Vickers perhaps ?

That's the chap. St Georges Armoury I think...
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 28 Mar 2006 10:02

Kim Young wrote:Have you handled any of Paul's work? I've put in an order for another one, but I'm still dithering over the quillons. I'm also hoping to sound out some of the Czech makers at Tewkesbury.
Kim

I haven't (other than my singlestick) , although I have seen some pictures. The Czech guys have great prices and I've heard good things about them. I think Mike Stillwell has a couple of things on order from over there.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 28 Mar 2006 10:10

Kim Young wrote:I think it's about now that I'm supposed to give you the beads and the mirrors and get you to pledge allegiance to The Queen (Princess Anne will do).

Ooooohhh. Shinies? I like !!!!!

Must have. Will say or do anything ... :shock:

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Stunt Weasel » 28 Mar 2006 10:11

Somewhat more on topic, everything I've ever seen and handled from Czech swordmakers has been astonishingly good. What is it about that country and swords? I have a couple of pieces from Lutel that are simply excellent, albeit just the tiniest smidge heavier than I would normally like.

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Caz » 28 Mar 2006 10:13

agreed, on the rapier front , the only couple of examples I've handled were a little on the weighty side, but VERY well made.
Caroline Stewart

HEMAC
Caz
Brigadier

Postby Kim Young » 28 Mar 2006 10:17

Do all the Lutel swords have threaded pommels?
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Stunt Weasel » 28 Mar 2006 10:19

You can ask them to make the sword however you want it made, actually, but communication can be tricky sometimes. Mine are both threaded and I really like them that way as I can easily take apart the swords and clean them more efficiently (even swap in aluminum blades for movie work with actors).

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Kim Young » 28 Mar 2006 10:26

Stunt Weasel wrote:...Mine are both threaded and I really like them that way as I can easily take apart the swords and clean them more efficiently (even swap in aluminum blades for movie work with actors).

Mario

Do you ever have a problem with them coming unthreaded while you're fencing? I've heard other people complaining about that, but I've never experienced it.
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Caz » 28 Mar 2006 10:28

it can happen over time, but a well maintained sword shouldn't be a problem...I have seen thin leather washers put either side of the grip on threaded pommel weapons (all our Armour Class rapiers are threaded) to reduce vibration loosening the hilt.
Caroline Stewart

HEMAC
Caz
Brigadier

Postby Kim Young » 28 Mar 2006 10:34

Caz wrote:it can happen over time, but a well maintained sword shouldn't be a problem...I have seen thin leather washers put either side of the grip on threaded pommel weapons (all our Armour Class rapiers are threaded) to reduce vibration loosening the hilt.

Thanks Caz, I'll pass that tip on. :)
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews