Collarbone / Throat Protection

Open to public view.

Collarbone / Throat Protection

Postby MEversbergII » 28 Feb 2014 04:36

Heyo. While a 3 weapon mask can do a good job protecting the face, what has everyone else used to successfully protect the collar bone and throat areas?

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Re: Collarbone / Throat Protection

Postby Dave B » 28 Feb 2014 10:51

MEversbergII wrote:Heyo. While a 3 weapon mask can do a good job protecting the face, what has everyone else used to successfully protect the collar bone and throat areas?

M.

A combination of my own weapon, and getting out the way.

Having tried various Ice hockey equipment I've not found anything that gives good protection without the mask bib'Riding up' it when I turn my head to look over the shoulder of my sword arm, and consequently making an increased risk of the sword point going under the bib and over the collar into the throat.
Dave B
Major

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Feb 2014 11:01

I use the absolute force throat guard, however this does protect nowhere except the throat. It does allow a good range of movement and doesn't impede the mask at all.

I never got on with the hockey throat guards, and find the AF to be much more compatible with the rest of my protection.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Phil C » 28 Feb 2014 12:47

I have one of these- http://www.hadesign.co.uk/feestspada/ht ... t_one.html -for the rare occasion I wear throat protection
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby tabiris » 28 Feb 2014 13:33

I have the AP jacket and putting the mask bib behind the collar gives me sufficient protection when stabbed in the throat most of the time (I'd want something more going against ensifers and the like, though). For the collarbone, I put a small piece of vulcanized rubber over the fabric of the jacket, just small enough not to interfere with my movement. Seriously, it's like 5cm wide but takes 90% of the blows to the shoulder/collarbone.
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Feb 2014 16:35

Phil C wrote:I have one of these- http://www.hadesign.co.uk/feestspada/ht ... t_one.html -for the rare occasion I wear throat protection

Ooo.... Stylish.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
the_last_alive
General

Postby Turmine » 28 Feb 2014 17:22

the_last_alive wrote:
Phil C wrote:I have one of these- http://www.hadesign.co.uk/feestspada/ht ... t_one.html -for the rare occasion I wear throat protection

Ooo.... Stylish.

Concur with that assessment ... that's a bit of class, but it is huge also and would certainly make my mask ride up on the bib. It really is a bit of a problem finding a good combination for what works and is functional as well as comfortable. I already have a thick neck so my collars are nearly always tight to begin with, then add a gorget and then add the mask bib coming down over the top of it all ... if I have any 2 day growth on my neck it feels like a cheese grater and a 19th century diving bell around my throat; not ideal.

T.
Turmine
Corporal

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Feb 2014 17:30

Look up the Absolute Force one, as it isn't that huge.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby Turmine » 28 Feb 2014 17:35

the_last_alive wrote:Look up the Absolute Force one, as it isn't that huge.

Cheers mate, will do ... that one has the collar bone flaps though doesn't it? If it does I have seen it before and my concern was again that those side flaps would add yet more bulk to my chest and neck zone - I already have a huge chest so adding any bulk to those areas is going in the opposite direction of what I need to do for best level of comfort.

Hang on ... checking now ... yup, has the collar flaps ---> http://www.absoluteforcesports.com/prod ... 71/cPath/8

Here is more what I need ... just neck with plastic insert but still this seems thick and bulky ---> http://www.absoluteforcesports.com/prod ... lbbvvlumh2

T.
Turmine
Corporal

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Feb 2014 17:54

The second is the one I meant. I use it all the time. Would be worth getting to an event and trying it out. I would say it's much smaller than the hockey type ones I've seen/used.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby Turmine » 28 Feb 2014 18:02

The neck brace one looks the best option out of most I've seen for sure, how tough is the plastic insert, Is it stiff or does it have give?

T.
Turmine
Corporal

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Feb 2014 18:24

Turmine wrote:The neck brace one looks the best option out of most I've seen for sure, how tough is the plastic insert, Is it stiff or does it have give?

T.

It's only flexible in the plane that allows it to fit around your nedck.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby KeithFarrell » 28 Feb 2014 19:31

I use the PBT historical fencing gorget.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby MEversbergII » 28 Feb 2014 22:15

Some good leads, thanks. When it warms back up here I plan to be doing some staff work and after hands and face I figured the collar bone / throat area would be pretty vulnerable and quite painful if struck.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Return to General Historical Martial Arts