New Axel Peterson pro

Open to public view.

New Axel Peterson pro

Postby Chiron » 04 Nov 2012 17:43

I saw this on the Hema Alliance forum, anyone know more? :mrgreen:
560626_442297369150901_1962696061_n.jpg
560626_442297369150901_1962696061_n.jpg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 9400 times

They also have gloves 8)
nay king, nay quin we willnae be fooled again!
Terry pratchet, the wee free men:
Chiron
Lieutenant

Re: New Axel Peterson pro

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Nov 2012 18:06

I'm interested and awaiting more information.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Scoobing » 05 Nov 2012 07:55

Liking the jacket want more info
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Matclarke » 05 Nov 2012 10:07

Was one of the S&B guys in the Swordfish Final wearing one (and the gloves)? Looked pretty similar.
Matclarke
Colonel

Postby Andreas Engström » 05 Nov 2012 10:08

I know that Axel used the jacket in the SF tournament and probably will make a review if asked nicely. :-) It looked very nice. I'm less convinced by the gloves, they seemed bulky and clumsy. Totally hopeless for sabre, at least IMHO, possibly useful for longsword. Protection seemed good, I'm worried about movement ability.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Andreas Engström » 05 Nov 2012 10:09

Matclarke wrote:Was one of the S&B guys in the Swordfish Final wearing one (and the gloves)? Looked pretty similar.

Yes, he did. I think that perhaps S&B might be the best area for those gloves, at least in their current form.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Markehed » 05 Nov 2012 11:28

Andreas Engström wrote:
Matclarke wrote:Was one of the S&B guys in the Swordfish Final wearing one (and the gloves)? Looked pretty similar.

Yes, he did. I think that perhaps S&B might be the best area for those gloves, at least in their current form.

-Andreas

If that is the case you should have the option to just buy one glove
Markehed
Private

Postby KeithFarrell » 05 Nov 2012 12:17

Corsair's Wares will be buying in at least one pair of gloves and at least one of the new jackets so that we can put up some reviews and information and suchlike. Unfortunately Spes didn't give us any heads up of the new items, so we are as much in the dark about them as everyone else!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 06 Nov 2012 16:26

From my communications today with Spes, these items will not be available for sale just yet, and they will give me some heads up and information closer to the time. As soon as I know anything, I will let you all know!

(and of course, Corsair's Wares will be retailing them as soon as we can get our hands on them :D )

As far as I can surmise from various people's comments, these are the general opinions:

- with regard to the jacket, the plates do provide a bit of extra protection, but they don't cover all the important areas and can be easily broken off from the jacket. What is nice is the leather facing for the jacket, apparently this is good and an improvement. I have no idea about price yet.

- with regard to the gloves, I hear that they are roughly on par with the Absolute Force gloves (broadly speaking). They cover less of the hand and provide less protection than the AF gloves but the material is better and more durable. It sounds like they are not suitable for anything involving a complex hilt, so they would really only be of interest to the longsworders, messer people and perhaps the sword and buckler people amongst us (compared to the Ensifers which can be used inside sabres as well; I haven't heard about the AF gloves and complex hilts at all). In terms or price, it seems the price of these gloves might be broadly in line with the price of the AF gloves through Corsair's Wares (£120), but this might change depending on what Spes decides in the coming few days/weeks.

So what I'm saying to my Academy members at the moment is that the standard Spes jacket is probably still the best bet, and that until we have more information about the Spes gloves the AF gloves are probably still the best way to go (unless people want to commission Ensifers).
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Axel » 22 Nov 2012 09:16

I used the jacket bur removed the plastic pieces on the upper arm and shoulder, for longsword I think they restrict movement too much, for weapons like S&B I think that is less of a problem. The protection for underarm and elbow are good and works fine with my Sparringgloves. The fencer using the jacket in the Swordfish S&B tournament is Andrzej from SPES who also placed 2nd.

I think the jacket is good, it is heavier than the regular one (you can see stats and price on the SPES page now) which of course has some small impact on how you move. For me it took about 3 weeks to get used to the new weight, now Im fine with it.

the leather will protect the jacket from tearing, Im thinking especially about jagged blades, and also adds some extra impact protection. Someone made the suggestion that there should be materials out there that protects as well as leather while weighing less, if anyone has any ideas pm me.

I only got to try the gloves briefly but from people who used them the reviews are mixed. I think the main thing is that since they are made of hard plastic they are bound to crack sooner or later, compared to Sparringgloves.com soft rubber core. I think this happened once during Swordfish. As with most new things though this is probably a product that will go through several stages of development based on user feedback.
Last edited by Axel on 22 Dec 2012 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
Swiftly and with style

http://iamafencer.tumblr.com/

Fäktning, kampsport och riktigt bra träning i Göteborg
Axel
Major

Postby Markehed » 22 Nov 2012 09:33

Even if the plastic on the upper arms would work with S&B, I don't think it's very useful. In my experience you don't get that many hard hits to the upper arms in S&B. The protection on the elbow and lower arm on the other hand might be very useful.
Markehed
Private

Postby princeron » 23 Nov 2012 00:31

im interested about the gloves need more info about the gloves
I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my pocket knives

Jhon Dwell's online sex toys
princeron
Cadet

Postby Motley » 20 Feb 2013 00:09

So do many people have the pro's yet? What kind of opinion is out the about them?

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Michael Chidester » 24 Mar 2013 00:02

I'm currently considering getting an Axel Peterson jacket, but is the Pro worth the extra 125 euro?
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby admin » 24 Mar 2013 10:29

Personally I'd say no. But each to their own. :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Jacob_Lee » 24 Mar 2013 12:35

Michael Chidester wrote:I'm currently considering getting an Axel Peterson jacket, but is the Pro worth the extra 125 euro?

The reviews I've read are that they are heavier than of the normal Axel Pettersson jackets, and that there's a slight restriction to arm movements that include raising the arms, but most agree that it's just due to how tight it feels than to an actual restriction of mobility.

That and I do not feel that there's a need for a layer of leather when I already have a plastic chest protector. The leather was assumed to protect the clothing from nicks and dings from the jagged edges of steel blunts as well as a shock absorber .
Jacob_Lee
Corporal

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews