Review: ZWA/Triplette

Open to public view.

Review: ZWA/Triplette

Postby Joolz » 18 Sep 2012 23:14

If you need sword hilt components in a hurry (say, you have an event in a month/6 weeks time, for instance), don't bother trying to get them from Zen Warrior Armoury/Triplette in the States. It has taken me over a month of reminders and unhelpful answers to a couple of extremely basic and simple questions, before giving up on them, running out of time, and having to make the components I needed myself from scratch. The whole experience has been a complete waste of my time, due to their complete lack of responsiveness, couldn't-care-less business attitude and procrastination, even when I made it very clear I had a dealine to work to and a firm order to place (and even offering to spend more, to make it worth their while to respond).

My advice; don't bother with them - if you can't get a simple answer out of someone, then they either don't want your business or don't deserve it!

So, here's what I spent my Saturday making instead:

Joolz
Attachments
Last Minute Smallswords 1.JPG
Last Minute Smallswords 1.JPG (82.49 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
"hodie mihi, cras tibi"

BFHS Rep, Durham Chapter, Society for the Study of Swordsmanship
Joolz
2nd Lieutenant

Re: ZWA/Triplette

Postby knirirr » 18 Sep 2012 23:21

Would you take commissions for more like that? If so then I would encourage my students to order hilts from you rather than Leon Paul.
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby Scoobing » 19 Sep 2012 09:11

They Look really impressive ! i'm suprised you needed to order any replacement parts with that tallent.
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Paul B » 19 Sep 2012 13:46

Scoobing wrote:They Look really impressive ! i'm suprised you needed to order any replacement parts with that tallent.

Being a craftsman can be odd. I haven't had a bed for 2 years despite being able to knock up a 4-poster.
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Scoobing » 19 Sep 2012 14:25

Being a craftsman can be odd. I haven't had a bed for 2 years despite being able to knock up a 4-poster.

Would it be swearing if i where to suggest a trip to Ikia to get a cheap bed to save sleeping on the floor ?
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Paul B » 19 Sep 2012 20:08

Ha!

We actually got a metal one off freecycle but I'm waiting for a bloke to do some welding for free for me so I can get it up the stairs
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Joolz » 19 Sep 2012 23:26

Making simple hilts like these is pretty straightforward, it's just time consuming. And that's why I went to ZWA, because I can buy the knucklebow, shell guard and pommel and it saves me the tedium of fabrication so I can concentrate on making more interesting stuff.....

My time is limited (evenings, weekends) so I like to launch myself into really challenging projects. The ZWA components look good and are value for money, it's just 'Zenboy' seemingly would much prefer it if his English customers just paid up front and didn't ask simple questions (like 'how much are you going to charge me for S&H?').

Joolz
"hodie mihi, cras tibi"

BFHS Rep, Durham Chapter, Society for the Study of Swordsmanship
Joolz
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews