Hails from France!

Open to public view.

Hails from France!

Postby Raphael » 17 May 2012 20:19

Some say introducing oneself when arriving somewhere is a good thing to do. So here we go! :D

I am Raphaël, a student in Paris, and for the last two years I have been a member of the (quite modest and very discreet and unknown) Historical Fencing Club of the Ecole Normale Supérieure (sexier name coming soon =p ). We practice mostly longsword (Tallhoffer/Liechtenauer, but also a bit of Fiore de Liberi), one-handed sword, sabre/cutlass and dagger/wrestling, and more rarely rapier, sword and shield (I.33 especially), spear and messer. As a club, we do not really follow the principles of HEMA, as we rarely study the manuals first-hand ; but we are trying to change that, by dedicating regular informal meetings to more in-depth studies (as opposed to our weekly practice sessions, focused on more "basic" techniques).

Monsieur Keith Farrell, whom I met in Dijon last week, suggested that I look for answers to my questions on this forum, and so here I am.

As you may have understood by now, I'm French, so pleeeeaaaase do not be too harsh on my English, it can be very clumsy at times ^^"

See you around!

Raphaël
Raphaël, from the ENS Paris Historical Fencing Club, unknown but unbent and unbroken! (why, we never had the occasion to be broken...)
Raphael
Private

Re: Hails from France!

Postby KeithFarrell » 17 May 2012 20:25

Hello Raphaël, I'm glad to see you here! This is a very friendly place, I am sure you will be able to gather plenty of answers to your questions when you post them :)
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 17 May 2012 21:02

Bonjour Raphael, bienvenue sur le forum.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby admin » 17 May 2012 22:04

Welcome! Make yourself at home.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Raphael » 18 May 2012 18:32

Thank you for your words of welcome! :D

Keith, thanks once again for the broadsword workshop in Dijon ; we recreated it in our club on the morrow, we couldn't figure out all the moves because we had forgotten the hand-out, but the others seemed pleased enough :D
Raphaël, from the ENS Paris Historical Fencing Club, unknown but unbent and unbroken! (why, we never had the occasion to be broken...)
Raphael
Private

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria