New Knight Shop Sparring Swords

Open to public view.

Re: New Knight Shop Sparring Swords

Postby admin » 27 Jul 2011 13:06

Fine for a Hanwei Hutton I'm sure, but I'd prefer something more robust for a heavier gymnasium sabre. Regardless, a discussion on gloves would probably deserve a new thread.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby John H » 27 Jul 2011 22:48

As the new thread hasn't started...this is what I use when not having a full shell guard.

http://revival.us/kevlar-reinforcedligh ... loves.aspx

most shell guards will cover the hand just fine leaving the forarm to bear the brunt of the pain. I would still use bracers with these, but also use just leather gloves with bigger guards that cover the hand.

Of course a new thread is probably wiser ;)

Also extending the grip too much changes 'how' the blade wants to be used. too much grip can move past a handshake grip and to something that wants to be thrust rather than cut with.
John H
Lieutenant

Postby Dangermouse » 28 Jul 2011 09:24

Hello Chaps

Ok, will bring both (older and newer) prototype sabre guards to FightCamp with me so people can come to conclusions based on handling the actual products.

I haven't had this mould made yet as all time and effort at the moment is being spent on developing sparring gloves - the prototypes of which will be at FightCamp (and I have to say they are really rather nice :D ).
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy
The Knight Shop Intl. Ltd.

Buried in each man's soul lies the noble spark that will make a hero of him - when the fateful moment arrives, it will leap up like a flame and illuminate great deeds. - Tolstoy
Dangermouse
Captain

Postby admin » 28 Jul 2011 10:23

John H wrote:Also extending the grip too much changes 'how' the blade wants to be used. too much grip can move past a handshake grip and to something that wants to be thrust rather than cut with.

Sorry John, but I think that's rubbish. I own over 30 antique sabres of various hilt shapes and lengths and the only factor which dictates whether they feel more 'thrusty' or 'cutty' or both, is the point of balance and the *angle* of the grip. All the extended grip on the plastic sabre changes is giving more space to get the thumb up the back of the grip. If it brings the point of balance a little closer to the hand then that's a good thing, as the basket-hilted swords are weighted a bit too far up the blade for infantry sabre (they handle more like cavalry sabres - quite like the British 1885 pattern I think).

admin
Emperor

Postby John H » 28 Jul 2011 11:25

well that's pretty much what I meant, bring the balance back too far, and make the blade too light and the thing wants to be used more like a spadroon rather than a sabre, meaning more thrust oriented. But as I haven't handled these yet I'm really in no position to say what is appropriate to these, so it's fair, I spoke out of turn.
John H
Lieutenant

Postby admin » 28 Jul 2011 11:28

Don't worry in that case - the baskethilts balance about 6 or 7 inches out from the guard. Even if the extended grips bring the balance back by 3 inches (with I doubt they will) they will still be choppy enough. The only way I have seen these nylon swords become 'pokey' is by having a steel pommel and plastic guard.

admin
Emperor

Postby The Salmon Lord » 28 Jul 2011 12:09

admin wrote:Fine for a Hanwei Hutton I'm sure, but I'd prefer something more robust for a heavier gymnasium sabre. Regardless, a discussion on gloves would probably deserve a new thread.

I use it for all sabre. I dont use a hutton that much. I have a pretty large shell so hits to fingers are very rare.

I'd day having a decent shell is more important than having an elongated grip for that purpose.
President Black Boar, Cupar Original, HC
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby Colin F. » 28 Jul 2011 19:00

admin wrote:If it brings the point of balance a little closer to the hand then that's a good thing, as the basket-hilted swords are weighted a bit too far up the blade for infantry sabre (they handle more like cavalry sabres - quite like the British 1885 pattern I think).

Yeah, that's very true.
SG6 - Bradford - Instructor

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 28 Jul 2011 19:14

I have just been browsing the "Complete Sparring Swords" page on the Knight Shop website:
http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/synthetic-waster-sparring-swords-complete-sparring-swords-c-857_563_573_836.html?osCsid=5fe53a18a1399e1bb44cb0ff01a4af18

I see there are a few different lines, and I'm no longer entirely sure what line means what. Can someone please summarise the difference between the following lines:
- Rawlings Proline Xtreme Longsword
- Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Longsword 2011
- Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Longsword

And where does the Proline (not Xtreme) blade occur, or am I not understanding this concept properly? Again, thanks for the help! :)
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dangermouse » 29 Jul 2011 09:32

KeithFarrell wrote:I see there are a few different lines, and I'm no longer entirely sure what line means what. Can someone please summarise the difference between the following lines:
- Rawlings Proline Xtreme Longsword
- Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Longsword 2011
- Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Longsword

Hi Keith

The Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Longsword is the first gen sword that we produced. The blades had additives in them to get the weight up. Over time we noticed that this was what was causing the excessive whippiness (the extra mass in the blade contributing towards this). These blades did not return to true very well and would have to be re-straightened. These blades also grated on masks.

Next came the Proline. This was manufactured from a denser, tougher plastic. These blades did not grate on masks (anywhere near to the same extent as the above) and returned to true after flexing. They were also stiffer than the standard blades as requested. Problem was they needed to be conditioned and this process was hit and miss. You either got a very good blade or it snapped after very little use. The experts had no answer to this so we discontinued this line.

This gave rise to the Proline Xtreme. These blades are 20 times tougher than the proline and do not need to be conditioned. They are also stiffer (in theory) than the prolines (but it does depend on how well conditioned the proline blade was!)The only ones we have known to break have been the result of moulding issues that have now been resolved. These blades are extremely durable and have become the standard tournament weapon in quite a few tournaments now.

Given that the Xtreme blades cater for most people we decided to re-release the sparring blades for 2011. There has been increasing demand for a lighter blade for younger practitioners to use. We took the additive out of the standard blades resulting in a lighter blade with less whippiness which returns to true after flexing.

Hope this helps.
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy

Buried in each man's soul lies the noble spark that will make a hero of him - when the fateful moment arrives, it will leap up like a flame and illuminate great deeds. - Tolstoy
Dangermouse
Captain

Postby Hindmost » 29 Jul 2011 09:55

Hi,

I'd like to order the pro-line xtreme blade on its own, but that appears to not be an option - I would have to purchase the whole xtreme sword. Is that correct or am I using the internet wrong? The blades section appears to only have what I assume are the original 1st gen sparring blades?
Marcos Ariño
Hindmost
Sergeant

Postby admin » 29 Jul 2011 09:55

For the record, we at SG1 only buy the proline extreme blades now, and that is what will be provided for the FightCamp tournaments, thanks to the Knight Shop.

admin
Emperor

Postby KeithFarrell » 29 Jul 2011 10:12

Thank you Bryan, that was very helpful. So if I wanted a light practice weapon, then the 2011 sword would be best; if I want a more serious sparring tool, then the Proline Xtreme is best? That makes my decision a lot simpler :)
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dangermouse » 29 Jul 2011 14:56

Hindmost wrote:Hi,

I'd like to order the pro-line xtreme blade on its own, but that appears to not be an option - I would have to purchase the whole xtreme sword. Is that correct or am I using the internet wrong? The blades section appears to only have what I assume are the original 1st gen sparring blades?

Hi Hindmost

Nope, not using the internet wrong they just haven't made it to the site yet. However, I have just spoken to our tech guy and they should be going on the site tonight.
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy

Dangermouse
Captain

Postby Dangermouse » 29 Jul 2011 15:07

KeithFarrell wrote:Thank you Bryan, that was very helpful. So if I wanted a light practice weapon, then the 2011 sword would be best; if I want a more serious sparring tool, then the Proline Xtreme is best? That makes my decision a lot simpler :)

In a nutshell, yes :D It's Xtremes all the way!
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy

Dangermouse
Captain

Postby Dangermouse » 29 Jul 2011 15:08

admin wrote:For the record, we at SG1 only buy the proline extreme blades now, and that is what will be provided for the FightCamp tournaments, thanks to the Knight Shop.

There will also be some pretty nice discounts on these lines at FightCamp as well :D
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy

Dangermouse
Captain

Postby T Gallagher » 29 Jul 2011 19:01

Oooooh, good news. Please bring a couple for me with lots of steel furniture. A single hander would be nice as well.

Cheers, Tim
Thumbs up!
T Gallagher
Staff Sergeant

Postby craftyfighter » 29 Jul 2011 20:31

Yay!
The Former Glorious leader of The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
craftyfighter
Major General

Postby Hindmost » 30 Jul 2011 07:24

Dangermouse wrote:
Nope, not using the internet wrong they just haven't made it to the site yet. However, I have just spoken to our tech guy and they should be going on the site tonight.

And so they were! Ordered. I'm also looking forward to the extra bits and pieces, like the extra long pommel. Many thanks Bryan!
Marcos Ariño
Hindmost
Sergeant

New Knight Shop Sparring Swords

Postby Andreas Engström » 30 Jul 2011 09:01

I did, too, until I broke my pinky wearing it. Wasn't even a hard hit. There's no protection at all on the pinky.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to General Historical Martial Arts