Latest Stupid banana Offer

Open to public view.

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 16:41

Alina wrote:No! James should definitely buy from Oz! He has this whole pounds thing down, and the shipping is shorter distance. AND he wants a banana. I actually happen to prefer a nice bokken to a nice banana. Always have. I guess I read too much Eiji Yoshikawa as a small child.

Clever, clever!

I probably will next month...

although my expenses get paid this week. hmm.....
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Monster Zero » 03 May 2006 16:42

For some reason whenever I watch a cold steel video I can't help but think of firemarshal bill.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Alina » 03 May 2006 16:42

J Marwood wrote:
Alina wrote:No, I considered that too. But, Oz isn't offering a shamshir with an Ottoman hilt. Of course, I'm still not sold on the stupid fuller running down the blade. Never in my life have I seen a shamshir with a fuller before. Maybe I need to get out more, but they certainly aren't common. And you're right, Thompson is very silly looking. It's kind of embarrassing to watch the DVD's of him panting - not during the testing but just from the effort of standing there to talk about the knife.

I've spoken to a few guys who have trained with him and he is apparently pretty good on the mat, and I'm sure he'd be great fun to go for a beer with, but he doesn't half look like a plonker.

Have you seen the 'More Proof' bit where he gets so excited about the 1796? It's like watching an especially excitable labrador with his favourite bone. I was half expecting him to have a little accident...

Yeah, they've sent me all of their DVDs free, so I watch them. It's a good way to kill a half hour if you're like me and have nothing better to do with your life.
Alina
Concubine

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 16:43

Must be a yank thing... :p

EDIT - Firemarshall Bill must be a yank thing. I'm sure watching cold steel DVDs is universal.

Alina, I've got a couple of self-protection DVDs that may interest you if you're bored - I can do you copies if you like, although they'll be in PAL rather than NTSC...
Last edited by J Marwood on 03 May 2006 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Alina » 03 May 2006 16:44

The free DVDs? I think it's because I bought a bunch of stuff at the last Cold Steel challenge, or something like that. I dunno. But it was fun watching the new DVD where Thompson sticks the bushman knife on the end of a long ash pole and throws it through a cardboard target. Or was it plywood? Eh...it was funny either way.
Alina
Concubine

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 16:46

Aargh - cross-posting frenzy.

Alina - firemarshall bill must be a yank thing, cold steel dvds are stupid but fun and would you like a copy of the self protection dvds?

hopefully I've got this in before you post again!
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Alina » 03 May 2006 16:48

Yeah yeah. Self-protection DVDs? Are those the ones where Lynn Thompson teaches you how to fight? I'm not sure I'd be willing to trust my life to techniques coming from him actually. No offense to him, I just don't know the man and he doesn't have the authority of being long dead and having written a period manuscript.

Edit: We should move the cold steel nonsense to a cold steel thread - there are several. This is an Oz banana thread.
Alina
Concubine

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 16:51

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The DVDs aren't from Lynne Thompson, they're from guys who I think know their stuff :)

Anyway, help me decde. If I was going to buy a banana from Oz -which one should I go for? They're all in budget.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Alina » 03 May 2006 16:55

I'm partial to the Kochou, just like the lines of that one. But, like I said, I honestly prefer a bokken. In Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikawa, Musashi kills like 75% of his opponents with a bokken. Well, except the duel where he kills an entire clan of people, but you get the idea. Something about a nice hardwood sword that appeals to me enormously.

Edit: The Mokko looks nice too. I'm not sure of the traditional construction or the beauty of the blade itself, but overall I think the proportions of the sword appeal to me.
Last edited by Alina on 03 May 2006 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Alina
Concubine

Postby Monster Zero » 03 May 2006 16:57

James, if the offer stands, I'll take you up on the DVD copies.
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 16:58

Face it Alina -what you really want is a plank of wood with a rusty nail in it. You can't fool me, you're a barbarian at heart ;)
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 16:59

ThomJ wrote:James, if the offer stands, I'll take you up on the DVD copies.

No worries mate. PM me your address and I'll get them off to you next week.

Some I know display fine on NTSC machines (they're meant for the US market) but some of the others may show a compressed image (although they should work fine on a PC).
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Alina » 03 May 2006 17:04

J Marwood wrote:Face it Alina -what you really want is a plank of wood with a rusty nail in it. You can't fool me, you're a barbarian at heart ;)

I can't deny the barbarian assertion. Though I will deny the whole plank of wood thing. A nicely carved and polished club on that other hand, that would be sweet. What can I say? I want to go neolithic on someone's ass.
Alina
Concubine

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 17:10

You'll have to come and do my 'caveman combatives' session sometime. Puts you in touch with your inner slavering homicidal beast :)
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Angel S. » 03 May 2006 17:32

J Marwood wrote:You'll have to come and do my 'caveman combatives' session sometime. Puts you in touch with your inner slavering homicidal beast :)

And to think I'll be there in a few days!! :P
Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa? Volo anaticulam cumminosam meam!.
Angel S.
Angel S.
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 17:33

What is the story with the bohi- are they just fullers or is there some deeper significance?
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 17:34

Sunay Angel S. wrote:And to think I'll be there in a few days!! :P

:D I'm getting all excited about ti now. I've got my place looking lovely and tidy and everything!
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Monster Zero » 03 May 2006 18:02

J Marwood wrote:No worries mate. PM me your address and I'll get them off to you next week.

Some I know display fine on NTSC machines (they're meant for the US market) but some of the others may show a compressed image (although they should work fine on a PC).

Will do.

NTSC/PAL doesn't matter, I have equipment for viewing both.
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 03 May 2006 18:03

Cool & the gang 8)
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Monster Zero » 03 May 2006 18:04

Alina wrote:I can't deny the barbarian assertion. Though I will deny the whole plank of wood thing. A nicely carved and polished club on that other hand, that would be sweet. What can I say? I want to go neolithic on someone's ass.

I've always prefered going "Ron Jeremy" on someone's ass, but that's just me.
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews