Secondhand equipment?

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Secondhand equipment?

Postby Fortu81 » 14 Sep 2016 10:48

Hi all. My eldest son has been a member of a HEMA club here in the Rep of Ireland for coming up to 12 months now and has really taken to it. To say that he’s now truly passionate about it would be a bit of an understatement in all fairness. I’m over the moon to see him take an interest in something that will keep him out mischief and teach him the self-discipline that all youngsters of his age need to learn to get ahead in life. Up until now he has been using the club equipment, but as he is taking an ever keener interest, I would like to get him his own set of safety equipment, if not a sword for now. I’ve had a look HEMA Shop Online and priced up everything he would need if we bought new. But I was just wondering if there is a good second hand market out there that I could tap into. I have been searching for used European martial arts equipment for sale online but have not found that much available on the likes of ebay etc. Maybe I am not using the right search terms? Could anybody advise on this? Or recommend a good classified ads website for me to take a look at? Thanks in advance for the steer. Cheers.
Last edited by Fortu81 on 16 Sep 2016 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Fortu81
Recruit in training

Re: Secondhand equipment?

Postby KeithFarrell » 15 Sep 2016 11:10

There's aren't any secondhand gear websites yet, the community is still a bit small for that. There is often a secondhand market within clubs, sometimes at events, and there are several pages of discussion groups on Facebook - although most of these Facebook groups seem to be attempts by individuals to add yet another Facebook group to the world, rather than actually growing to a useful size and interacting with the majority of the community. Probably your best bet would be to talk to the club leader and see if he or she knows of anyone in the club looking to pass on some secondhand gear, or alternatively post on the "UK HEMA" Facebook group asking if anyone has the items you are looking for and would be willing to sell them on.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fortu81 » 16 Sep 2016 03:22

KeithFarrell wrote:There's aren't any secondhand gear websites yet, the community is still a bit small for that. There is often a secondhand market within clubs, sometimes at events, and there are several pages of discussion groups on Facebook - although most of these Facebook groups seem to be attempts by individuals to add yet another Facebook group to the world, rather than actually growing to a useful size and interacting with the majority of the community. Probably your best bet would be to talk to the club leader and see if he or she knows of anyone in the club looking to pass on some secondhand gear, or alternatively post on the "UK HEMA" Facebook group asking if anyone has the items you are looking for and would be willing to sell them on.

Thanks for the pointers Keith. Especially the Facebook group. Is this the right one...?

Fortu81
Recruit in training

Postby KeithFarrell » 16 Sep 2016 15:08

Yes, that's probably the best discussion group on Facebook for anything related to the British HEMA community.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Market & Reviews