Review: Black Armoury HEMA Jacket

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Review: Black Armoury HEMA Jacket

Postby KeithFarrell » 13 Sep 2016 12:41

I have been testing the Black Armoury HEMA jacket for a few weeks now, and I think it is an excellent jacket, worth recommending. It has been tested in friendly sparring, private tuition, and competitions, and I have been using it for both longsword and broadsword.

The most important element of the jacket is the collar. The jacket is designed so that the mask bib goes beneath the collar, which then folds up over the bib, and fastens in place to provide padding for the throat and to keep the bib in place without letting it ride up and expose the throat. There is plenty of space to wear a gorget underneath the collar, although the collar itself is well padded, and I feel quite happy wearing this jacket without a gorget for friendly sparring. During all my testing, my mask bib never rose up, and no openings were created; with other jackets I have worn, with the mask bib on top of the jacket, the situation of the bib lifting and exposing my throat was an unfortunately common occurrence. From the point of view of safety of the throat and neck, the Black Armoury jacket is the safest jacket I have found so far.

The next most important element of the jacket is the fit and cut, and the resulting mobility. It is quite possible to lift my arms above my head, into the overhead Vom Tag or the right Ochs position for longsword, or into an open ward or a hanging guard position for broadsword. In such motions, the jacket doesn't really lift, and remains well-fitted to the torso without exposing the abdomen. This level of mobility is achieved by using the tailoring design choices from the Charles de Blois gambeson, which lends the jacket a somewhat medieval aesthetic. While that's not my favourite look, the design does result in excellent mobility, so that's a trade-off that seems very reasonable.

The padding on the arms is excellent and is broadly comparable to the SPES Axel Pettersson jacket, and is thicker than the padded on the PBT HEMA jacket. However, the padding on the torso is somewhat thinner than on the SPES AP jacket. This makes it a lighter garment that does not retain heat as much (which I definitely appreciated while fencing in the heat of Australia!), but it also provides less protection for the body (which I definitely noticed when people landed hits on me in Australia). For this reason, I'm not sure I would want to use the jacket in a higher intensity situation where people would be inclined to land heavy hits on my ribs, at least not without wearing some additional protection for the torso. However, if it is viewed and treated as a lighter jacket, then the padding is quite reasonable, and of course it is always possible to add a plastic chest protector for additional protection.

In summary, I'm very happy with this jacket, and will continue to use it in my fencing. I suspect it will be a regular travelling companion when I go to warmer countries for events!

The most wonderful thing about this jacket is the collar area. This is fantastic and I cannot praise the design enough. If you value your throat, this jacket has a solution that you should consider very seriously.

-----

If you are in the UK, and would like to buy one of these jackets, the Academy of Historical Arts is stocking them, and the jackets are available to purchase through the online shop: http://www.academyofhistoricalarts.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=35
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Review: Black Armoury HEMA Jacket

Postby knirirr » 13 Sep 2016 21:21

This sort of jacket looks great - although one can do backsword in a smallsword jacket the bruises do get a bit tiresome.
But, as befits the name, it seems only to be available in black. Are there any equivalents which can be had in white of which you are aware?
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby KeithFarrell » 15 Sep 2016 11:06

knirirr wrote:This sort of jacket looks great - although one can do backsword in a smallsword jacket the bruises do get a bit tiresome.
But, as befits the name, it seems only to be available in black. Are there any equivalents which can be had in white of which you are aware?

It's currently available in red and blue (mine is blue), and I think their intention is to allow for custom colours somewhere down the line.
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Anthony Rischard » 14 Oct 2016 22:52

Hello knirirr. Actually, our HEMA jacket does come in white as a standard colour ( along with blue and red, as mentioned by Keith). We are now also producing green, orange and purple, though they are not yet available on our website.

Please do let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Anthony
Anthony Rischard
Cadet

Postby knirirr » 16 Oct 2016 19:14

Anthony Rischard wrote:Hello knirirr. Actually, our HEMA jacket does come in white as a standard colour ( along with blue and red, as mentioned by Keith). We are now also producing green, orange and purple, though they are not yet available on our website.

Excellent, thanks for mentioning this.
Thought white is the official school colour I am permitted to wear orange and so that would be difficult to resist.
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby Lidsman » 16 Nov 2016 09:07

Thanks for the review Keith. It seems to be a good jacket but the battle-proven AP-jacket is yours for EUR 45 less. Are the Black Armory jacket worth that?
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Postby KeithFarrell » 16 Nov 2016 12:26

Lidsman wrote:Thanks for the review Keith. It seems to be a good jacket but the battle-proven AP-jacket is yours for EUR 45 less. Are the Black Armory jacket worth that?

I think the collar solution is easily worth €45!
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Lidsman » 25 Nov 2016 08:15

Anthony Rischard wrote:Hello knirirr. Actually, our HEMA jacket does come in white as a standard colour ( along with blue and red, as mentioned by Keith). We are now also producing green, orange and purple, though they are not yet available on our website.

Please do let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Anthony

Anthony, when will the green be available and will it be a dark or light green? Also, will it be possible to order the jacket with the zipper on ones left side of the body?
Kind regards
Ulf
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Postby HPFlashman » 11 Dec 2016 17:26

How large is the size 4?

All other jackets I have looked at has put me into custom made territory, as I am 204 tall, weights 140 kilo and are somewhat built like a retired rugby player. :mrgreen:
Best regards,

Harry

"Singlestick, then may be looked upon as a gentle exercise, suitable for the early middle age" C. Phillips-Wolley
HPFlashman
Sergeant

Postby Lidsman » 12 Dec 2016 12:17

HPFlashman wrote:How large is the size 4?

All other jackets I have looked at has put me into custom made territory, as I am 204 tall, weights 140 kilo and are somewhat built like a retired rugby player. :mrgreen:

En stor pojke (a big boy)... :D
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Return to Market & Reviews