Munich type sword - Albion or Regenyei

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Munich type sword - Albion or Regenyei

Postby Lidsman » 12 Aug 2016 08:54

I realize that I’m in a desperate need of a Munich type sword. In a perfect world I would give Albion a call and the problem would be solved. In a perfect world I would have unlimited access to the almighty Green. Alas, the world is not perfect and $1650 plus shipping, customs, tax and who knows what is a lot of money.

Regenyei have a Munich type sword for 470 Euro including shipping (no customs since Sweden wisely enough is a member of the EU). The price from Albion is 1400 Euro and with shipping, customs and tax I should guess that the total cost would be something like 1900 Euro.

So my questions is; are the Albion Munich worth the extra 1400 Euro comparing to Peters sword?

I know that Albion is top of the line
I know that you usually gets what you pay for
I know that this is a matter of opinion

But it’s your opinion I want!
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Re: Munich type sword - Albion or Regenyei

Postby tea » 14 Aug 2016 21:32

The fundamental question to ask yourself is "How much inaccuracy do I want?"

Regenyei's Munich is an okay example of something in the broad type. The shapes are all about right, but lacking in fine detail - the lines of the grip, cross and blade are all significantly less graceful.

The Albion version is essentially perfect except for the decoration - it doesn't have the tooled leather on the grip, or the decorative work on the pommel.

Albion's is around 4x the price, and the Regenyei probably has more than 4x the inaccuracies, especially in general form (neither tries to do the decoration). So while the Regenyei will probably be a perfectly good sword, and resembles the original, if your heart is really set on having the Munich sword, you should talk to Albion (or Mateusz Sulowski, for that matter).
Scholar, Cambridge HEMA
tea
Corporal

Postby Lidsman » 15 Aug 2016 07:12

Tea, that's exactly the kind of answer I hoped for. I guess that I want a sword that handles well, look and feels like the real one. If I have too choose, handling is more important than looks.

I saw some of Mateusz Sulowskis work at Facebook. Fantastic work! I'll ask him about his prices...
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Postby tea » 15 Aug 2016 07:52

He's much more in the Albion range (I think normally a bit more, especially with the decorative work).
Scholar, Cambridge HEMA
tea
Corporal

Postby Lidsman » 15 Aug 2016 08:05

Seeing his work I would guess that he is more expensive than Albion. And so he should be. Amazing.
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Postby Lidsman » 15 Aug 2016 10:04

Got an answer from Mateusz. One of his Munich sword (similar to Albions) cost 1700 Euro with a scabbard, belt and shipping. A lot of money but well worth every cent...
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Postby Lidsman » 15 Aug 2016 18:22

By the way, damn you for letting me know about Mateusz work. I wont be able to sleep... :wink:
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Return to Market & Reviews