A reasonable price for a Albion Talhoffer

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

A reasonable price for a Albion Talhoffer

Postby Lidsman » 27 Feb 2016 09:44

What would a reasonable price for a Albion Talhoffer be? I have found a preowned one that has been used for display only (besides one test cut on a beer can). It's about five years old and acording to the seller like new. He bought it from Søren. If I have the opportunity to exam the sword, what should I look after?

Hope someone can help me

Cheers!
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Re: A reasonable price for a Albion Talhoffer

Postby KeithFarrell » 27 Feb 2016 10:00

It seems that the current "brand new" price for one from Albion is $880 (http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-talhoffer-xva.htm) and Google suggests that currently that is worth around £634.

Second-hand and lightly-used is probably worth a bit of a reduction in price, but if it's still in "like new" condition, then probably not much of a discount.

Some people buy their Albions for the investment; others for using it. Depending what the other person is looking to get out of the deal, and how satisfied he has been until now with having that sword, the price will be different. if he feels he has received his money's worth by having it on the wall, you can negotiate a lower price. If he feels that it was a wasted investment, or indeed if he feels that it was supposed to have been an investment for the future, then the price is likely to be higher.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Lidsman » 27 Feb 2016 19:55

KeithFarrell wrote:It seems that the current "brand new" price for one from Albion is $880 (http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-talhoffer-xva.htm) and Google suggests that currently that is worth around £634.

Second-hand and lightly-used is probably worth a bit of a reduction in price, but if it's still in "like new" condition, then probably not much of a discount.

Some people buy their Albions for the investment; others for using it. Depending what the other person is looking to get out of the deal, and how satisfied he has been until now with having that sword, the price will be different. if he feels he has received his money's worth by having it on the wall, you can negotiate a lower price. If he feels that it was a wasted investment, or indeed if he feels that it was supposed to have been an investment for the future, then the price is likely to be higher.

Thank's for your answer Keith. One has to keep in mind that £634 is before shiping and customs... The seller wants £420 for the sword. I guess that would be a fair price if I read you correct.
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Postby Mark T » 27 Feb 2016 20:16

My personal guide is no more than 80% of the new price for a secondhand in good condition; no more than 70% for something with blemishes or has been used for (very) minor cutting.

My personal experience has been that if a seller categorically states that an item is in 'as new' or 'perfect' condition, then it's usually been fine ... but If it's claimed to have been used, but not much, then the swords have usually had far more scratches, grip leather issues, hilt issues, and so on that stated.
Mark T
Corporal

Postby KeithFarrell » 28 Feb 2016 13:10

Lidsman wrote:Thank's for your answer Keith. One has to keep in mind that £634 is before shiping and customs... The seller wants £420 for the sword. I guess that would be a fair price if I read you correct.

£420 for a Talhoffer is a very good price - I would be interested in it myself at that price! ;)
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Lidsman » 28 Feb 2016 20:14

Thanks for your input Keith and Mark. Hopefully I'll be able to see the sword next weekend. If I don't buy it I'll give you the sellers email Keith.
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Return to Market & Reviews