Universal Swords and the M/1685 replica

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Universal Swords and the M/1685 replica

Postby Lidsman » 22 Feb 2016 11:12

I'm intrested in a replica of the M/1685 Swedish Sword that is sold by Peter Gavelin in Sweden. It's made by Universal Swords in India and aperently Peter himself has been guiding them in this case. The replica is made after an original that Peter own. Here is a video about the replica:

http://youtu.be/IyZRI2FXo_w

And here is Peters homepage (in Swedish):

http://www.gavelins.com/sword/sv1-9.html

Klick on "galleri" for pictures of the original and the replica.

My questions are:

1. Is there anyone that own this replica or another sold by Peter and could do a rewiev?
2. This sword (and other Swedish swords from the 1700th century) have a ring for the tumb. Is this common in Europe during this period or something Swedish?
3. What's the general opinion about Universal Swords?

Cheers!
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Re: Universal Swords and the M/1685 replica

Postby admin » 23 Feb 2016 09:24

My experience of Universal Swords is that their blades are very clunky and over-weight, with little distal taper. I also assume that the heat-treatment or steel is not really up to HEMA use, though I haven't personally tested that. What they are good at is hilts and making a sword that hung on the wall looks kind of right.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: Universal Swords and the M/1685 replica

Postby Lidsman » 23 Feb 2016 09:36

admin wrote:My experience of Universal Swords is that their blades are very clunky and over-weight, with little distal taper. I also assume that the heat-treatment or steel is not really up to HEMA use, though I haven't personally tested that. What they are good at is hilts and making a sword that hung on the wall looks kind of right.

Ok, thanks for your answer Matt. I don't think that this sword is made for sparring or reenactment. It's a copy of the original so I suppose that it's a wall-hanger or test-cutter thats you also can use for solotraining.

Do you know of any non-swedish swords that have the tumb-ring?

By the way. By Swedish sword typology this is a "värja" which is the same word we use for an epee today. The word means "to protect yourself (against an attack)" and were used for many weapons. I guess that you would call it a broadsword.

Cheers
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Return to Market & Reviews