Review - Cold Steel Viking hand axe

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Review - Cold Steel Viking hand axe

Postby swordflasher » 26 Sep 2015 08:43

OK, got this a couple of days ago, and I like it. This is a mod, obviously - comes with a plain white wooden haft sprayed with polyurethane, axe head is painted [!] with steel coloured paint, so these were both sanded off. The blade has been polished on a belt sander and sharpened to a good edge. The runes burned with a soldering iron, and the haft stained with wood dye and treated with olive oil and teak oil, with leather strip and cord to improve grip.

I wondered about winding cord crosswise around the head so as to secure it when thrusting, but there is some sort of alum key which does the job.

stats on cold steel site, ordered from Cold Steel UK, very happy with prompt delivery.
http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Viking-Hand-Axe.html

and a friend doing the polish

There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Re: Review - Cold Steel Viking hand axe

Postby Gary Piano » 16 Oct 2015 04:17

Nice review,

Going to order one of these myself. Really like your mods, could you tell me how to attach the leather cord, what type of glue (if any) did you use.

Cheers
"Hawes came down with a two-hand sword & assaulted again the said Gloyes and Thomas.......and let fly a stroke" (The Paston Letters 17/05/1448)
Gary Piano
Corporal

Re: Review - Cold Steel Viking hand axe

Postby swordflasher » 16 Oct 2015 18:37

Thanks. There's flat leather thong from ebay, and cord from reels in the 'Hobbies R us'' ribbon department. I just use Bostik Glu and Fix all purpose clear glue, from Tesco. I use it for most things. If you get glue on the leather, wipe with washing-up liquid suds before it dries, or peel off when its dry, or better still just don't get it on the leather. :)

I understand there is no need to use glue with cord round a haft, just have a loop, wind the cord round and pull it through, but I like glue.
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Return to Market & Reviews