Pavel Moc Sharps and alternatives

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Pavel Moc Sharps and alternatives

Postby Schnazel » 22 Jan 2015 02:28

Hello,
I have question regarding the quality of pavel mocs sharp swords.
Some say these are rubbish, others say they're good.

I actually posess a sharp sword from peter regenyei, with which I was quite fond at the beginning, but Iam now not so happy any more. In the end its a sharpened blunt, the sharpening took away some meat on the blade, made it very light (1300g, 125cm) with not a lot of blade presence. Moreover the edge is - from todays perspective - made with a horrible secondary bevel, the spine not very pronounced.
In the end nothing that bothers me to much for the ocassional cutting, but I also want something nicer and more functional for living history purposes.

So how do the pavel moc sharp swords fare? Is there any other swordmaker doing nice blades that with good bevel, hold an edge and good balance/geometry in the price range around 400€?

Leatherwork and polishing doesnt bother me too much, as I usually order my swords in a more rough production state if possible and polish them by myself, also do the tooling of the leather.

Thank you in advance,
best regards,
Marcel
Schnazel
Private

Re: Pavel Moc Sharps and alternatives

Postby Schnazel » 20 Mar 2015 12:18

Hello,
I managed to get my hands on a new Peter Rgenyei sword, because he had one in the making that he sold me.

I polished it up a bit and applied a leather grip and brass inlays into the pommel - I have to say he improved a lot since my last endouver with him and the sword is really really nice.

The sword has an overal length of 125cm, a weight of around 1470g and a nice appleseed grind instead of a pronounced secondary bevel. Nicely tapered with a COG around 3-4 fingers from the cross.

Important note: its a "real" sharp, not a sharpened blunt.

Last edited by Schnazel on 26 Mar 2015 11:46, edited 2 times in total.
Schnazel
Private

Postby admin » 23 Mar 2015 07:53

Very nice - I have been watching Peters work over the years and it keeps getting better.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Schnazel » 02 Apr 2015 12:12

Ah, I forget to write something about distal taper and the general form of the sword.

The area around the point could be a bit more ... pointy, like many originals with an emphasis on thrusting.
The midrib of the blade is flattened out 2inches from the cross towards the pommel, which flattens the blade in this proportion. It has a thickness of roughly 6,5mm (should be around 7,5 if not flattened out), tapers to 5,5mm in the middle of the blade, nearly 5mm at the upper COP, 4mm two inches from the tip and 2mm 1/2inche fromt he tip. Could eventually be a bit more pronounced, but in this price range its ok I suppose.
Schnazel
Private

Postby Lidsman » 26 Jan 2017 12:32

Very interesting. Can you share your experiences with the sword?
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Return to Market & Reviews