Darkwood economy rapiers?

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Darkwood economy rapiers?

Postby admin » 05 Mar 2014 10:06

Thanks guys, all useful. I am really wavering between the regular and bated blades at the moment. Is the bated blade more 'authentic' in terms of weight, or overweight?
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Turmine » 06 Mar 2014 01:04

StevenJ4810 wrote:
Turmine wrote:Rob ... seriously? Not my intention at all ... merely sharing my own experience and view of the bated blades. Peace, love and banana fritters mate.

T.

Same, I have a Darkwood Pappenheimer that looks almost exactly same as yours. The only difference with mine is that it has extra bars and I added a leather over cord warp over mine.

I am actually about to do exactly the same thing to my own grip ... do a leather cover over the oak with cord wrap over the top for a bit more grip. I would still order a plain oak grip for any future blades however so I can do the cord wrap to my own tastes - I have found that it is important to sand down and custom shape the grip block to the dimensions best suited to your hand before adding the leather and cord over the top - if you leave it too fat you can cause hand fatigue due to having to muscle the grip because it is oversize.

Not surprisingly, a sword can be transformed by ensuring the grip fits your hand comfortably, many people just pick up a blade and go with whatever grip size is on there but we all have different sized hands so there is no such thing as a one size grip fits all. The lovely thing about a cord wrap as you would already know is that you can customize your risers for where your hand sits and how you personally like to hold the blade.

Your Darkwoods are very nice mate - I need to buy a couple more my self - I am sorely tempted by the English Transitional rapier right now but I also need a side sword for Bolognese - one will have to wait.

Cheers, T.
Last edited by Turmine on 06 Mar 2014 03:15, edited 9 times in total.
Turmine
Corporal

Postby Turmine » 06 Mar 2014 01:07

admin wrote:Thanks guys, all useful. I am really wavering between the regular and bated blades at the moment. Is the bated blade more 'authentic' in terms of weight, or overweight?

I think the bated 'feels' more legit in the hand Matt ... other lads at my club have had the standard and it really doesn't feel sword like enough to me, way too much flex. The bated is no way overweight, it feels spot on ... as I said before, if you want a good long blade you want a stiffer blade the longer you go, not a more flexible blade, for all the reasons previously stated.

I should add and I may be stating the obvious, any length of rapier blade you order will lose two inches behind the shell to the ricasso, so that means if I have a 39" blade, I really have 37" of true blade on my rapier. The same will apply to whatever length blade you order.

Cheers, T.
Turmine
Corporal

Previous

Return to Market & Reviews