HEMA reviews: Regenyei Trnava Light federschwert

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

HEMA reviews: Regenyei Trnava Light federschwert

Postby tabiris » 16 Jan 2014 23:43

Hello folks!

So I've reviewed the Trnava light feder by Regenyei. Overall, I'd say it's a very decent blade, though it has a few quirks. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4kh6m72_s

Cheers!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Re: HEMA reviews: Regenyei Trnava Light federschwert

Postby Markehed » 17 Jan 2014 10:49

I bought one for myself at Swordfish. It handles beautifully just like you say tabiris but I'm a bit afraid that the tip will break due to it being so thin.

We just had a second Pavel Moc feder break at the tip and they look pretty similar in construction with a wide thin tip (last 1/3 of the blade).

What do you think about it?
Markehed
Private

Postby tabiris » 18 Jan 2014 13:23

Hey! I really doubt the tip will break, at least not anytime soon. Every sword will break when used for what we do, but I think with the Trnava you can expect at least some 18 months of hard use before it snaps. I also think that the Moc feders are still somewhat thinner at the point than Trnavas. I've seen Moc's break, but after something like 2 years of hard use, which is a good long time for a sparring tool. Of course, flaws in Heat Treatment are possible, in which case the sword will break withing the first month of use - but in these cases, the smith can often not know there was a flaw in the HT of the blade.

So all in all, I don't think you should worry :)

also, how long have you had the Moc before it broke?
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby Markehed » 20 Jan 2014 12:22

The first one broke after about a years use. The second one only lasted 6 months. That's a bit short in my opinion. They were bought months apart as well.
Markehed
Private

Postby tabiris » 20 Jan 2014 15:17

that is a short life for a feder...

The Trnava is a fair bit thicker, though. Some folks in my club will get their Moc feders soon, so I'll review those too, but from what I've handled, they are pretty floppy in the last third - the Trnava is on the stiff side, so I'd wager it's somewhat thicker at the end.
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Return to Market & Reviews