What hockey/lacrosse gloves do you recommend?

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

What hockey/lacrosse gloves do you recommend?

Postby KeithFarrell » 08 Oct 2013 16:20

I'm looking for some suggestions for hockey or lacrosse gloves that are up to the task of keeping someone somewhat safe for sparring with simple-hilt swords such as a longsword, arming sword, messer - or indeed weapons without hilts, such as walking sticks and canes.

Not everyone has the budget to buy Sparring Gloves, AF gloves or Arcensis gloves, so what are some of the cheaper options on the market (preferably £50 and under for a pair) that you think are suitable for sparring at a beginner to intermediate level?

Ideally these should be gloves that are still in production, at which I can point students, and say "go acquire a set of these for the meanwhile"; out of production gloves will not be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: What hockey/lacrosse gloves do you recommend?

Postby Hal Siegel » 08 Oct 2013 16:36

Forty years of SCA experimentation and ten years of HEMA experimentation have proven that HOCKEY AND LACROSSE GLOVES ARE NOT ENOUGH PROTECTION FOR ACTIVE SPARRING WITH SWORD SIMULATORS!

What are your hands worth?

(pardon the yelling to get the point across, but finding the perfect cheap gauntlet-from-another-sport suitable for fighting with sword simulators is not going to happen. Decades of crushed and broken fingers have shown this to be true, and it's quite frustrating to see the Quest For The Perfect Hockey Glove happen over and over and over ...)
Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
Hal Siegel
Cadet

Postby the_last_alive » 08 Oct 2013 16:47

Please note: Keith isn't looking for the perfect gloves in Hockey/Lacrosse gloves, rather an acceptable cheap, entry glove for newbes.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby KeithFarrell » 08 Oct 2013 16:51

Hal Siegel wrote:Forty years of SCA experimentation and ten years of HEMA experimentation have proven that HOCKEY AND LACROSSE GLOVES ARE NOT ENOUGH PROTECTION FOR ACTIVE SPARRING WITH SWORD SIMULATORS!

What are your hands worth?

(pardon the yelling to get the point across, but finding the perfect cheap gauntlet-from-another-sport suitable for fighting with sword simulators is not going to happen. Decades of crushed and broken fingers have shown this to be true, and it's quite frustrating to see the Quest For The Perfect Hockey Glove happen over and over and over ...)

As I posted elsewhere in response:

I agree that such gloves are not up to the task of keeping hands safe in full contact sparring, but they are a good stop-gap measure for students to practice at a softer and safer level of contact before upgrading equipment and working at a higher level of contact. Much as I would love to see more people go straight to the Polish Sparring Gloves, it's just not an option for most people in our organisation, and I would rather see them wear some kind of padding than nothing at all.

Discipline is something we do require of our students, so it's not a problem for our instructors to keep the levels of force at a reasonable level when beginners are working together :) this is not a quest for a perfect hockey glove, just a quest to see if there are any gloves in the £50 price range that do the job until people can move onto something better.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hal Siegel » 08 Oct 2013 17:20

Hockey/lacrosse for training, no problem; it's the sparring use that sets off my "Danger, Will Robinson!" alert. :)

Teach your tyros well, my friends.
Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
Hal Siegel
Cadet

Postby tabiris » 08 Oct 2013 20:28

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/warrior-lacrosse-gloves-lockdown-goalie.html

These. Plastic insert in thumb, good padding. Gaps in the fingers, though.
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby Mearcstapa » 25 Nov 2013 12:19

Has anyone seen these? Couldn't find reference to them elsewhere on the forum but apologies if this is a repeat.

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/things/puta-till-verarmsskydd/S-AM/AM.061093?query=Sabelf%C3%A4ktning&js=1&search_context=1&count=50&pos=4

Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby Andreas Engström » 26 Nov 2013 09:14

Yep, that's one of the types of glove with integrated forearm and elbow protection that was used for free sparring in the Swedish army in the mid-19th century. AFAIK no-one makes anything like that nowadays, and the antique ones are extremely rare (it's not the type of thing that is likely to be preserved, it doesn't look good hanging on a wall).

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Return to Market & Reviews