Review: AHA German Longsword Study Guide

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Review: AHA German Longsword Study Guide

Postby tabiris » 06 Oct 2013 18:05

Hello folks!

So I've reviewed Keith's new book. I would highly recommend it to anyone who does German longsword. Below is the video review. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSffQg1M0a4&feature=youtu.be

Cheers!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Re: Review: AHA German Longsword Study Guide

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 13 Feb 2014 06:49

Verdict: if you do german longsword - you should buy it. If you do longsword at all, you should buy it. If nothing else than to get a great guide for refference.

First impression: The layout is professional and reminds me of text books from the university.
The book is well tought trough and there seems to be no unessesary flesh out material.

On the good side : There are numerous uses for this material. It is an introduction guide to longsword, but it also caters to those more advanced in the arts that apreachiate alternative veiwpoints on same/simmilar teachings. Besides letting you have a quick sheet for the markwerse and poppular interpretations in a handy format. The way it is written makes me believe it could have usefull life for longer than the interpretations within it.

On the bad side: not much to say here. I would perhapps have wanted ranges and timing(chapter six) to be moved forward so that it is before the guards(chapter four) But the material is all there. Also, since I'm brought up on metric, it disrupts my flow when inches are used instead of centimeters

So a great thanks to Keith Farrel and Alex Bourdas for an excellent product.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby KeithFarrell » 13 Feb 2014 12:45

Magnus Hagelberg wrote:Verdict: if you do german longsword - you should buy it. If you do longsword at all, you should buy it. If nothing else than to get a great guide for refference.

First impression: The layout is professional and reminds me of text books from the university.
The book is well tought trough and there seems to be no unessesary flesh out material.

On the good side : There are numerous uses for this material. It is an introduction guide to longsword, but it also caters to those more advanced in the arts that apreachiate alternative veiwpoints on same/simmilar teachings. Besides letting you have a quick sheet for the markwerse and poppular interpretations in a handy format. The way it is written makes me believe it could have usefull life for longer than the interpretations within it.

On the bad side: not much to say here. I would perhapps have wanted ranges and timing(chapter six) to be moved forward so that it is before the guards(chapter four) But the material is all there. Also, since I'm brought up on metric, it disrupts my flow when inches are used instead of centimeters

So a great thanks to Keith Farrel and Alex Bourdas for an excellent product.

Thank you very much Magnus! The comment about inches and centimetres is one I have heard a couple of times, so when we look at making some revisions for our second edition in a couple of years, we will make a point of offering the measurements in both systems.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ian_r_knowles » 12 Mar 2014 14:55

Overall, I'm very impressed with the book and have found it a great source of information, I especially like the fact that all of the important parts are referenced back to the sources so I can go and read them for myself (well, a translation of them anyway).

One minor point, I was confused by a paragraph on p61 where you stated

Schaitelhaw breaks Pflug, the Schilhaw breaks Alber

but then go on to discuss how

The Schaitelhaw, or parting strike, is an Oberhaw that cuts straight downwards along a vertical line, and is designed to break Alber

Is the comment on p61 a typo?
ian_r_knowles
Cadet

Postby KeithFarrell » 12 Mar 2014 17:48

Good catch, thank you for that! Page 61 should say that: "Schilhaw breaks Pflug, the Schaitelhaw breaks Alber." It must have been a typo that was missed through each of the editing sweeps. I will add it to the list of errors - luckily it is just a very short list, without many entries!

And I'm very happy to hear that you are finding the book useful :) thanks for saying so!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Market & Reviews