Review: SPES Fingertip Protectors

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Review: SPES Fingertip Protectors

Postby KeithFarrell » 10 Sep 2013 15:37

Protection

The protectors are made from solid plastic and they make for an excellent last line of defence against powerful hits. They cover the top of the finger, the sides of the finger, and the tip of the finger.

In Dijon 2013 I was using a prototype set of fingertip protectors from another company, and I received a very strong hit on my right hand as moved up into a right Ochs position. Four of the five fingertip protectors in my gloves each shattered into two pieces, and the fifth protector, on my index finger, shattered into eight pieces! My forefinger bore the brunt of the blow, and the only injury I received was a cut on the nail and on the flesh just at the knuckle, where the shattering of the protector broke the skin and nail on the finger.

The moral of the story is that although all the fingertip protectors shattered, they took most of the force of the impact and saved my fingers from shattering beneath. I walked away from a very strong hit with my fingers unbroken and with only a cut to deal with; had I been without the fingertip protectors, I have no doubt that at least one of my fingers would have been broken.

Those prototypes offered significantly less protection than the SPES fingertip protectors, and so the SPES model will be an even better investment for the safety of your fingers.

Comfort

They feel strange at first, but you barely notice them after a while. Sometimes the edge can rub against the finger skin and may even form a blister after prolonged use. So far it is only the middle finger of my right hand that has blistered from prolonged use of the protectors, and a small piece of surgical tape around the joint prevented it from becoming any worse.

Grip

Because the plastic does not extend to cover the finger pad, the grip of the sword is almost unaffected. There is a slight change in how you have to grip the sword, as the sides of the protectors mean that your fingers will no longer be in contact with each other, and there will be a couple of millimetres between your fingers. Your fist may feel unusually open when you hold the sword. However, you become used to this quickly, and you barely notice it after a while.

How to Insert Them

Place the protectors on your fingers and then put your hand into the glove. I find it easiest to insert the thumb protector first, followed by the index and middle finger protectors, then finally the ring and pinky finger protectors. Once they are inserted, the protectors tend to stay in the gloves, even when you remove your hand.

Sizes

The protectors come in just one size, so people with particularly slim fingers may find these to be a little too big. The pack includes 8 protectors for the fingers and 2 protectors for the thumbs - the thumb protectors are broader than the finger protectors.

Conclusions

The SPES fingertip protectors are a fantastic last line of defence against potentially bone-breaking hits to the fingers above the top knuckle. They take a little bit of getting used to before the feel comfortable, but eventually you don't even notice them in your glove. For such a reasonable sum of money, I believe they are a very valuable addition to any hockey or lacrosse gloves that you are using.

The SPES fingertip protectors are on sale through Corsair's Wares for £12.50 per set, and are available here: http://www.corsairs-wares.com/martial-arts/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=SPES+fingertip+protectors
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Review: SPES Fingertip Protectors

Postby HPFlashman » 14 Sep 2013 07:26

Having been on the receiving end of a shattering blow, with an estimated 25-30 pieces of bone in my left pinky and with the medicinal folks wanting to chop it off at the first joint; but saved with a whooping 1,5 mm to spare (the length of non crushed bone before the joint), I feel strangely attracted to these things... :shock:
Last edited by HPFlashman on 14 Sep 2013 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Harry

"Singlestick, then may be looked upon as a gentle exercise, suitable for the early middle age" C. Phillips-Wolley
HPFlashman
Sergeant

Re: Review: SPES Fingertip Protectors

Postby KeithFarrell » 14 Sep 2013 18:32

HPFlashman wrote:Having been on the receiving end of a shattering blow, with an estimated 25-30 pieces of bone in my left pinky and with the medicinal folks wanting to chop it off at the first joint; but saved with a whooping 1,5 mm to spare (the length of non crushed bone before the joint). I feel strangely attracted to these things... :shock:

Ouch! That sounds like a shattering blow indeed.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Market & Reviews