Review:Spes H. fencing pants

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Review:Spes H. fencing pants

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 30 Aug 2013 11:17

http://histfenc.com/productcart/histori ... cing-pants

First impression: Sturdy looking cloth. stiches looks about the same as those on my AP jacket, meaning they should last ok.

I choose a pair of pants size large..

Pro: they are comfortable to wear. The padding is good enough to take the worst sting out of steel sparring. I have enough room to fit a regular sports cup inside them. I have no issues with movements, or doing doing low stances (to do a splitt should not be an issue even though I'm not agile enough)
The quilting ower the knee is good padding, and eyelets present there will let me fasten my kneeprotectors and keep them up nicely.
There are padding on the front of the legg, and even manages to cover the sweet spot on the inside of the thigh -the place I tend to get hit when doing sword and buckler.
there are also some a bit higher up to the side of the hip that I reckon will come in handy when using an AP jacket.

Con: the legg padding is only covering half of the outside of the legg - I will have to fix this. It needs another pad there.
they get hot, but protect well, so it's a tradeoff I will bear with.

Durability: have only used it for 2h training so will update more on that later.

Conclusion so far: €97 is well spent money. I haven't done anny puncture tests, but the material is tick cotton so stands up good to burrs from swords. I was hoping to get a pair of fitting pants - the padds are a good bonus.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Re: Review:Spes H. fencing pants

Postby Lemonaid » 30 Aug 2013 12:35

Thanks, very useful review :)
..am looking to get these myself at some point - though am considering the PBT breeches also.. if anyone is in a position to compare, please do post your thoughts! :)
If you receive a hit while hitting your opponent your glory will be null as this would make you simultaneously victor and vanquished. Do not therefore share your victory with the opponent - and do not let him share his shame with you. -Manciolino
Lemonaid
Lieutenant

Re: Review:Spes H. fencing pants

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 22 Oct 2013 08:20

ok. Uppdate after having used them for some time.

+they are still comfortable, the padding is still doing its jobb. The pants reminds you to wear a cupp.

-some threads tore up. The padding is riding up the crotch if you don't have a cupp. The velcro used for buttoning them is getting weak and comes loose if I do some movements.

conclusion: In hindsight, I think I would have been better of buying the 350Newton fencing pants and stitching in padding where I wanted it.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Return to Market & Reviews