800N plastron - review request

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: 800N plastron - review request

Postby Reinier » 24 Jul 2013 20:12

I am not getting a placemat.

I hope...
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby the_last_alive » 24 Jul 2013 20:33

Oli Barker wrote:My only criticism is that it didn't seem particularly breathable - combined with the plastic chest protector and my AP jacket, fencing in warm temperatures is a mite uncomfortable. :(

Agreed. Having done 4 bouts in that set up last night, it's rather warm...

My main comments are: being 5'6" and a 42" chest, I went with a large as although I'm a small height wise, I was slap bang in the middle of the large chest size. It's a little short (I dread to think where the small would have come up to), but does cover the vitals. Also, there's a little bit of restriction bringing your arms together in front of you, nothing major though.

Also, I'd recommend wearing stuff in the following order: t-shirt (or other base layer), plastic chest protector, plastron then fencing jacket, just so it's easy to undo things for ventilation between bouts. I made the mistake of wearing the chest protector over the plastron last night (and quickly learnt it was a mistake).
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Oli Barker » 24 Jul 2013 21:42

I'll have to give it a go with the plastron over the chest protector. I've been wearing an underarmour base layer, plastron, chest protector and then jacket and removing the protective layers during periods of inactivity to vent heat.
Oli Barker
Brigadier

Postby Dave B » 26 Jul 2013 17:45

the_last_alive wrote: It's a little short (I dread to think where the small would have come up to), but does cover the vitals.

I guess because the fashion with modern breeches is an extremely high waist. my LP moden white breeches are right up on the short ribs

Oli Barker wrote:I'll have to give it a go with the plastron over the chest protector. I've been wearing an underarmour base layer, plastron, chest protector and then jacket and removing the protective layers during periods of inactivity to vent heat.

I wear the plastron right on bare skin. which is kinda horrible and clammy at first but seems to store less heat.
Dave B
Major

Postby Reinier » 19 Aug 2013 20:59

I am very satisfied with the comfort of my Allstar plastron. Luckily, I cannot comment on its protection.
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby admin » 20 Aug 2013 08:36

Same for me. I didn't feel any hotter in my plastron and AP jacket than I do with just the AP jacket. It is perfectly comfortable and it doesn't restrict my movement at all. I even suspect that because of the shiny surface it may even create LESS friction with the AP jacket than a regular t-shirt surface does.

One question - how to interpret the washing instructions? I see that it is to be washed at 40 degrees max, but is it hand wash only? The symbols don't seem to correspond with normal UK ones.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Reinier » 20 Aug 2013 08:54

I seem to remember reading hand-wash only, at low temperature and with a mild detergent.

I will check what I can find when I get home.

List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby Andreas Engström » 21 Aug 2013 08:28

admin wrote:Same for me. I didn't feel any hotter in my plastron and AP jacket than I do with just the AP jacket. It is perfectly comfortable and it doesn't restrict my movement at all. I even suspect that because of the shiny surface it may even create LESS friction with the AP jacket than a regular t-shirt surface does..

Also used my new Allstar plastron at Fightcamp and 100% agree. No discernible extra heat, no restrictiveness. I'm quite satisified and a little surprised. :-)

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby The Salmon Lord » 21 Aug 2013 16:52

Ah medieval and rennaiscance fencers discover the joys of washing modern fencing kit. :)

Never had a problem washing any of my kit in the machine. Just dont tumble dry them.
President Black Boar, Cupar Original, HC
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby admin » 22 Aug 2013 08:18

Andreas and I are Victorian, through and through! :evil:
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby The Salmon Lord » 22 Aug 2013 12:55

Apologies for the offence.
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby The Salmon Lord » 22 Aug 2013 13:02

ps.

I do find that I notice a difference with wearing the under plastron or not in terms of heat. Or more precisely how much I sweat like a pig.
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby the_last_alive » 26 Aug 2013 14:42

The Salmon Lord wrote:ps.

I do find that I notice a difference with wearing the under plastron or not in terms of heat. Or more precisely how much I sweat like a pig.

Seconded. It does seem to cause you to sweat more.

I'm rather happy with mine (an Allstar). I have noticed significantly less restricted movement than I was expecting when I first tried it on.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Previous

Return to Market & Reviews