Advice: Kit bags

Open to public view.

Advice: Kit bags

Postby Kp » 09 Apr 2013 18:35

Can anyone recommend a good, preferably cheap bag for HEMA gear? I've not been able to find any long enough to fit a longsword feder in; the hockey bags I've seen are no longer than 1m or so, for instance.
Kp
Recruit in training

Re: Advice: Kit bags

Postby Gary Piano » 09 Apr 2013 18:47

I think the best bags are the ones golfers use to transport their clubs and trolley. Something like the one below.

http://www.golfsupport.co.uk/p-longridg ... over-(5340).aspx

You can fit a lot of kit in one of these types of bags, In mine I have a sythetic longsword, rapier and sabre plus mask gloves and jacket and various other hema bits and bobs.

Shop around and you should be able to find a cheaper one than that link.

Cheers
Last edited by Gary Piano on 09 Apr 2013 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Hawes came down with a two-hand sword & assaulted again the said Gloyes and Thomas.......and let fly a stroke" (The Paston Letters 17/05/1448)
Gary Piano
Corporal

Postby Phil C » 09 Apr 2013 18:48

Fishing rod bags, snowboard bags and golf bags are very cheap and easily found.

I use a four-stick hockey bag- it takes two screw-section staves, two bullwhips, two nylon broadswords, two smallswords, two truncheons, two daggers, two bowie knives, and two walking sticks very ably.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby Joeli » 10 Apr 2013 11:33

I second Phil's recommendation of snowboard bags. Go for junior size as they are short enough for feders. I have a 140 cm padded bag, it's brilliant for my purpose. I can fit two longsword kits there. Masks in the ends, jackets in the bottom and feders in the middle so that the ends go inside the masks to protect the bag from the swords. Pads and gloves to fill the rest. It goes through the airport without extra fees as long as it is the only piece of luggage I put in the cargo hold.
Joeli
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Scoobing » 10 Apr 2013 14:42

I use one of these for my kit bag and am very pleased with it

http://www.cavalierattitude.com/Bag%20Specs.htm

It's got in it 2 nylon swords 2 steel swords 2 rondel daggers 6 dagger simulators 2 fencing masks 4 sets of padded gloves 2 gambesons and has space for more.

It's very easy carry all that equiptment in it, and while it may be more expensive coming from the USA I will carry all your stuff and more.
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Phil C » 10 Apr 2013 15:01

Scoobing wrote: will carry all your stuff and more.

I found that to be its downfall- you can fit all your kit in it but then can't lift the damn thing! It also seems to have been designed for people who carry their kit from home to car then car to salle and back, it's too long, large and unwieldy if one walks any distance or travels on public transport of any kind.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby Scoobing » 10 Apr 2013 15:18

I've not really walked far with it as I do drive to where I train but I carry the bag using the shoulder strap and had no difficulties carrying it.ill walk to training next week if I've the time and let you know how it works out.
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 11 Apr 2013 13:56

Burton is one of my fav's.

so something like this would be quite lovely.

http://www.snowshack.com/detail/SNW+BT- ... ie+Gig+Bag

I currently have a 166 bagg, that most airlinecompanies let trough luggage check ins.
but it's not realy allowed in teh rules. Besides, it's lacking weels like this one.
so I'm tempted to get a new one. this one's 146cm. A quite handy lenght.
If it's annything like my bigger bagg. I get full gear in there, and the longswords make sure it's not colappsing on me.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Reinier » 17 Apr 2013 10:45

Phil C wrote:
Scoobing wrote: will carry all your stuff and more.

I found that to be its downfall- you can fit all your kit in it but then can't lift the damn thing! It also seems to have been designed for people who carry their kit from home to car then car to salle and back, it's too long, large and unwieldy if one walks any distance or travels on public transport of any kind.

I have one of these and, with a few fixes, I got very happy with it for a while.

Fixes - the metal loop-thingy with which the shoulderstrap is attached to the bag is rectangular, and will rotate through the fabric loop and then pull open. This is something that happens to all kinds of bags I have owned. It may be something that only happens to me. I replaced it with a heavy duty metal loop with a screw-closure. It is great now.

Over the last two or three years, I have used it as a kit bag for training and events, and it has served me well. When I go to an event, I can transport a few swords, my fencing gear (incl. a padded vest, several gloves and a mask with back-of-the-headcover), clean clothing and my sleeping bag and toiletries. Enough for a long weekend!

When I go to training I currently carry my fencing gear (incl. mask and vest) and 6 rapiers. This is unfortunately a bit too much, and my crossguards are starting to tear through the fabric. Furthermore, hasty packing and unpacking has led to a broken zipper, as the zipper is just too short to put in the rapiers hastily, when my mask is already in there.

So, I need to start looking for a new bag, but for me, so far, it has been great.

EDIT: Regarding walking with it; when I go to my regular training, I indeed only carry to the car, and from the car to the hall. When I go on a trip, I have to carry it to the Metro station, through Rotterdam Central Station, through Schiphol airport, and wherever I have to carry it on the other side. I'm OK with that.
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby Jacob_Lee » 18 Apr 2013 22:59

I currently use this bag:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Canyon-Snowboard-Bag-170X26X8cm/dp/B0010887LS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

and I fit in it:
-Trainers
-Protective gear composing of: fencing jacket (axel pettersson), forearm guards, mask, shin guards and gauntlet style gloves
- two sizes of the knight shop nylon swords with all the accessories (bar the messer ones)
-a buckler

The longest I have walked with this on my back *with all the gear inside* is around 25 ish minutes, which prompts me to do something similar to Winnie the Pooh's stoutness exercise. I would say that unless that it's a double shoulder strap, the weight will be distributed in a rather uncomfortable manner..

I had this bag since September, and ever since I started placing my jacket in it, the bag has developed some visible worn holes where the shoulder strap buckles are attached.

As an alternative, I found this on ebay, which measures in at a handy length of 130cm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PADDED-GOLF-BAG-FLIGHT-TRAVEL-CASE-COVER-WHEELS-LIGHTWEIGHT-HOLIDAY-NEW-/170872971285?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7057790902329080949%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D170872971285%26
Jacob_Lee
Corporal

Postby Kp » 09 May 2013 16:19

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys! I ended up getting the cheapest snowboard bag I could find, for now, but in the long run I'll definitely be looking at a golf travel cover.
Kp
Recruit in training

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews