Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Aug 2013 00:45

Not my pair, but the plastic shell on a friends pair was broken by a hit from a Easton Sabre. Something to be aware of.

I'm still really liking my pair, although the smooth leather palm can be very slippy and weak in certain grip positions on cord wrapped swords.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 28 Aug 2013 10:54

the_last_alive wrote:Not my pair, but the plastic shell on a friends pair was broken by a hit from a Easton Sabre. Something to be aware of.

I'm still really liking my pair, although the smooth leather palm can be very slippy and weak in certain grip positions on cord wrapped swords.


Can your friend take pictures of the break on the gloves? I can pass the pictures and the information along to Arcensis so that they can look at how to improve that part of the glove.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Aug 2013 11:20

KeithFarrell wrote:
the_last_alive wrote:Not my pair, but the plastic shell on a friends pair was broken by a hit from a Easton Sabre. Something to be aware of.

I'm still really liking my pair, although the smooth leather palm can be very slippy and weak in certain grip positions on cord wrapped swords.


Can your friend take pictures of the break on the gloves? I can pass the pictures and the information along to Arcensis so that they can look at how to improve that part of the glove.


I'll see what I can do.

Didn't seem like a particularly hard hit either. :s
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 28 Aug 2013 11:58

the_last_alive wrote:I'll see what I can do.

Didn't seem like a particularly hard hit either. :s


I haven't received any damage to that part of my gloves, so it is a bit of a surprise to me that it cracked. I do recall that some of our people used the padded gloves from Revival for a while, which had a similar sort of hard shell over the knuckles (I assume that's the bit you are talking about?) and they tended to crack quite easily and swiftly. Maybe that sort of protection over the knuckles just isn't quite right for what we are doing.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 28 Aug 2013 12:04

It was one of the plastic plates over the thumb, not the shell over the knuckles.

He wasn't too upset as it did it's job and stopped that blow impacting his thumb and potentially causing injury.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 28 Aug 2013 15:21

the_last_alive wrote:It was one of the plastic plates over the thumb, not the shell over the knuckles.

He wasn't too upset as it did it's job and stopped that blow impacting his thumb and potentially causing injury.


Hmmm. Well, yes, it certainly did its job and saved his thumb! Still, if he can take pictures then I will send them off to Arcensis and let them know about the breakage.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2013 00:08

I have the photos and will send them over tomorrow. It turns out both plates on thumb have snapped.

I also noticed on my pair that the knuckle protection is coming off. Will have an attempt at stitching it back on when I get a chance.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby admin » 04 Sep 2013 10:43

I have to say that based on what I've seen so far, I find the Arcensis gloves somewhat of a disappointment, especially for that price. If they were £50 then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but for £100 I think people should expect more.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
User avatar
admin
Emperor
 
Posts: 35036
Joined: 13 Mar 2006 17:28
Location: Guildford, Surrey, England.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 04 Sep 2013 11:27

the_last_alive wrote:I have the photos and will send them over tomorrow. It turns out both plates on thumb have snapped.

I also noticed on my pair that the knuckle protection is coming off. Will have an attempt at stitching it back on when I get a chance.


Could you possibly take pictures of the knuckle protection and send them over as well? It would be good if I could send all of this to Arcensis for feedback.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 04 Sep 2013 11:29

admin wrote:I have to say that based on what I've seen so far, I find the Arcensis gloves somewhat of a disappointment, especially for that price. If they were £50 then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but for £100 I think people should expect more.


I haven't had any issues with my gloves so far. Maybe it is more of a quality control issue? In any case, I will raise your concerns with Arcensis, and hopefully they will be able to do something to improve the durability of their gloves.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2013 11:31

KeithFarrell wrote:
the_last_alive wrote:I have the photos and will send them over tomorrow. It turns out both plates on thumb have snapped.

I also noticed on my pair that the knuckle protection is coming off. Will have an attempt at stitching it back on when I get a chance.


Could you possibly take pictures of the knuckle protection and send them over as well? It would be good if I could send all of this to Arcensis for feedback.


I have done, as I noticed it while getting photos of the damaged thumb. Will e-mail them over later.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2013 12:12

KeithFarrell wrote:
admin wrote:I have to say that based on what I've seen so far, I find the Arcensis gloves somewhat of a disappointment, especially for that price. If they were £50 then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but for £100 I think people should expect more.


I haven't had any issues with my gloves so far. Maybe it is more of a quality control issue? In any case, I will raise your concerns with Arcensis, and hopefully they will be able to do something to improve the durability of their gloves.


The only issue I have had with the quality is the stitching pulling free, I'll have another look later and try and work out exactly what has happened.

Otherwise these are great for sabre and sidesword, you feel hits through them, but that's it. You might feel it for a few minutes, but in other gloves of similar price/cheaper, they'd be a lot worse.

My only other comment is on the material on the palm, which I find rather slippy and can be trick to hold onto your sword if people (Matt) use a beat on you...
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 22 Oct 2013 08:05

ok. I now have another ten houers worth of sparring in the gloves.
and some 6h worth of longsword.

Pros: the glove can take a beating. I have had some stinging hitts trough it, but it is definatly on par with a fresh pair of supercross gloves, slightly more so. When doing longsword, it's agile and mobile and lets me do all the twisting and twirling that I like. It is a clear step up from say -warrior gloves.


Cons: they are bulky -agile but bulky, how that can fit in. They don't fit in my buckler, not realy a surprise, they don't fit in my sabre basket unless I use the huge 1867 modell. And the plastic incerts in the thumb was too brittle for impact. It probbably saved my thumb, but the incert broke into four or five pieces.


Conclusion: the glove was around €100, came after standard postal delivery time.
It comes in different sizes that comply to regular gloves (just check your winter mitts and you will be fine)

When to use the gloves: in practise and friendly bouts where you go with full intention.
When it's not enough yet: swordfish or simmilar competittion with powerhitters.

What does it need to make that play?
Ticker incerts that can flex some, shattered pieces makes the glove dangerous if you don't notice it as a second hit is potentially nasty. At least have some coating on the plastic so it stays together even after it is broken.

Worth the money?
Yes.

Still Wanted: Sabre gloves.
User avatar
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: 14 Jul 2007 16:24
Location: Skövde

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 22 Oct 2013 09:51

Thanks for the update Magnus! Broadly in line with my thoughts as well.

Arcensis are currently waiting for a shipment of a new model of the gloves. They have taken our feedback into account and are using thicker/better plastic for the finger and thumb plates, and the gloves are also a little slimmer. I'm looking forward to seeing the new model when they arrive!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 12 Nov 2013 12:56

I have had another issue with my pair (one that is easily repairable), that is that wrist band had partially become unattached to the main body of the glove, thankfully, this shouldn't be too difficult to stitich up. It's a pain that with a few months £100 gloves need this work, but it's not the end of the world.

And, yes Keith, I'll send you pics. :)
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 12 Nov 2013 13:46

the_last_alive wrote:I have had another issue with my pair (one that is easily repairable), that is that wrist band had partially become unattached to the main body of the glove, thankfully, this shouldn't be too difficult to stitich up. It's a pain that with a few months £100 gloves need this work, but it's not the end of the world.

And, yes Keith, I'll send you pics. :)


You read my mind :P
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby the_last_alive » 12 Nov 2013 15:04

KeithFarrell wrote:
the_last_alive wrote:I have had another issue with my pair (one that is easily repairable), that is that wrist band had partially become unattached to the main body of the glove, thankfully, this shouldn't be too difficult to stitich up. It's a pain that with a few months £100 gloves need this work, but it's not the end of the world.

And, yes Keith, I'll send you pics. :)


You read my mind :P


Having spotted it, and photoed it a week ago, I've been meaning to do it all week.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
User avatar
the_last_alive
General
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: 20 Jun 2006 13:58
Location: london.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 17 Jul 2014 09:08

Last weekend, I used these gloves all the way through the Edgebana steel longsword competition in Dundee, rather than using my Absolute Force gloves. I felt that the dexterity afforded me would be valuable. They did me proud, I went through several rounds of quite heavy hitting, and the gloves saved me from a broken left index finger (once) and a broken left pinky finger (twice). I'm quite convinced that the fingers would have been broken in a less protective glove.

However, I had to make some emergency repairs to my gloves (around a year and a half old now) before the competition began, stitching some tears beside the thumbs, which seems to be the main place where these gloves fall apart. At the moment, I do believe the gloves are nicely protective, but they do have quality control issues.

After the last batch, where virtually every small pair fell apart in the same place (although the mediums and larges tended to be relatively unaffected), Arcensis went back to the factory to make some changes to improve the quality issue. Hopefully these improvements will be evident in the next batch of gloves.

I thought it was worth posting a brief follow-up review, since the gloves saved me from a couple of broken fingers, and I fear that their quality control issues have given them a rather negative impression in the community after the last batch.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby admin » 17 Jul 2014 13:14

Thanks for that Keith. Though speaking personally I could not recommend these to anyone, having seen two pairs fall apart completely and utterly in months.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
User avatar
admin
Emperor
 
Posts: 35036
Joined: 13 Mar 2006 17:28
Location: Guildford, Surrey, England.

Re: Review: Arcensis HEMA Gloves

Postby KeithFarrell » 17 Jul 2014 13:57

admin wrote:Thanks for that Keith. Though speaking personally I could not recommend these to anyone, having seen two pairs fall apart completely and utterly in months.


I certainly cannot argue with that point of view!

The lesson I have learned from this whole affair is that quality is exceptionally important. It doesn't matter how good the item is, if it falls apart, then it will develop a bad reputation and will in any case become useless pretty quickly. Good quality is therefore a very important characteristic of any item. Manufacturers should strive to achieve the quality specifications in their brief, and the designers should ensure that the quality in the brief is sufficiently high and correct.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
User avatar
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: 18 May 2010 18:38
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to Market & Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron