Review: SPES fail - back of head protector

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: SPES fail

Postby Mark T » 04 Mar 2013 09:35

KeithFarrell wrote:
I can heartily recommend the Trinity overlay from Spes: http://www.corsairs-wares.com/martial-arts/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108_54&products_id=1756

I never fence without it anymore!

I have the Spes Trinity Prestige model also. Protection is very impressive - especially the throat trauma plate, although this may not be as relevant if you have a good gorget.

Big downside on my overlay was the fitting was not great - mask was measured accurately, but the overlay is too small. Three of us have reefed on it, trying to make it fit, with not much luck. Maybe this was just an uncommon error in the fabrication, but for €120, you'd think fit would be a priority (and that perhaps they'd have a few standard masks around to check the fit on).

The Prestige is also 350 grams heavier than their standard (synthetic) model, which is noticeable. Personally, I'm happy with the added level of protection, for many of the reasons listed above. I'll likley persist with it as is, and see if I can hand it on to someone with a slightly smaller mask ... and, at this point, likely to buy another.

However, I do think there's something to be said for a mask protector that is easy-on, easy-off, so that there's a lighter option for drilling exercises and light sparring, and then a heavier option for heavy sparring.

Having said that, we had the top of a Leon Paul mask completely collapse at a tournament here last year, pushing the mesh down through someone's scalp like a cheese grater ... left a pretty patch of diamond-shaped blood drops, and a good fighter out of the comp. Had some of us seriously considering the value of football head protectors, which either means needing to re-size a mask every time you move between light and heavy work, or perhaps just having two masks: a standard one with no BOH protection, for light work, and a larger one to accommodate the football protector indside, and covered with an overlay ... but then, that's getting a bit pricey!
Mark T
Corporal

Re: Review: SPES fail - back of head protector

Postby Michael Chidester » 24 Mar 2013 00:10

I managed to make the thing fit my Absolut Fencing mask well enough. I had to sort of shape it a bit with my hands, but it works just fine now. (I bought a coaching mask from AF years ago when back of head protection wasn't a thing yet.)
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 25 Mar 2013 15:16

We just tried one of the Spes back-of-head plates with one of the Empire masks (large, I believe) this weekend, and it fit like a charm.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby admin » 25 Mar 2013 16:00

Yes, they fit large masks. But not medium or small - so they are useless for lots of us.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Michael Chidester » 25 Mar 2013 16:09

Mine is a medium I believe, but I managed to use the Velcro strap of the coach's hood (not the mask strap) to affix it, and sort of forced the upper corners inside the cage of the mask to make it fit.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby admin » 25 Mar 2013 16:14

Only one person in my club uses a coach's hood. I consider them completely superfluous to requirement.

If only they made the plastic round, to go in a round hole.. Making it square is hilarious.

admin
Emperor

Postby KeithFarrell » 25 Mar 2013 16:46

admin wrote:If only they made the plastic round, to go in a round hole.. Making it square is hilarious.

I definitely agree on this point!
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Michael Chidester » 29 Mar 2013 15:11

admin wrote:Only one person in my club uses a coach's hood. I consider them completely superfluous to requirement.

I agree. As I said, I only have one because at the time there was no such thing as back-of-the-head protection, so a standard coach's mask was pretty much all there was. (And since it's riveted onto the mask, removing it would be a chore even if I wanted to.) I'm just pleased that I managed to make it work, since the SPES entry cost about a third the price of a complete hood.

admin wrote:If only they made the plastic round, to go in a round hole.. Making it square is hilarious.

Right?
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Monster Zero » 31 Mar 2013 01:21

My SPES back of head protector fits my Leon Paul Mask perfectly. I actually really love it.

I do wear the leather hood.

But that's purely because I have a leather fetish and like the way it looks. :twisted:
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 31 Mar 2013 09:56

I think we've established that it does fit large masks. Just not masks for people with normal sized heads. :P

admin
Emperor

Postby KeithFarrell » 09 Apr 2013 18:15

admin wrote:
KeithFarrell wrote:We just tried one of the Spes back-of-head plates with one of the Empire masks (large, I believe) this weekend, and it fit like a charm.

Yes, they fit large masks. But not medium or small - so they are useless for lots of us.

I just tried one of the Spes back-of-head pieces on a medium sized Empire mask this evening. It fits very nicely; better even than on the large Empire mask! It might just be that the Empire masks have a different shape of oval at the back of the fencing mask, and as a result the Spes back-of-head piece fits them better.
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Turmine » 15 Feb 2014 15:18

Ridbadalous wrote:My first ever sparring session I got a hard whack to the side of the head from a leather dussack that transferred straight through the side of the mask and gave me a big lump. BUT the mask was fine which is the important thing, as I can't afford But it made me think, and I've seen videos of people like Axel Petterson wearing a beanie under their mask and I wondered - is it to act as a shock absorber or is it just because it'a really cold in Sweden? If it's the former would something like a D30 beanie be a good addition for its shock absorbent qualities? One without a bobble, obviously...

+1 - Just had to chime in and agree with that assessment - I took a good beating on the side of my head with a Shinai and that baby hit me plum, basically knocked the side of the mask into my face, offering virtually no shock protection at all - I felt it all too well. Yes the mask protected me from a huge welt but my face still felt a bit numb later and I quickly realized that I need to start wearing a beanie under my mask to stop the head wobble/movement when getting struck and that some kind of mask overlay protection was imperative! You don't want to play this game for too long before you start to make the important investment choices in your life! :lol:
Turmine
Corporal

Postby Slartibartfast » 16 Jul 2014 17:53

Re: mask covers - any that cover the sides & top as in conventional coaching sabre covers - I found these absolutely essential shortly after starting historical fencing as I couldn't bear the loudness of singlestick or steel hitting the mesh of my mask with full force - left my ears ringing. Guess I have sensitive ears / auditory processing, or at least unaffected by overly loud music in clubs / at gigs (at which I need to stuff my ears with toilet paper to avoid physical discomfort).
Slartibartfast
Recruit in training

Previous

Return to Market & Reviews