Review: Duncan Noble in Classic Arms & Militaria Magazine

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Review: Duncan Noble in Classic Arms & Militaria Magazine

Postby admin » 04 Feb 2013 14:22

For anyone who buys this monthly UK-published magazine (available in WHSmith and elsewhere) you will have noted that over the last few months Duncan Noble has been writing articles on various types of sword and swordsmanship in each issue.

I have mixed feelings about these articles. On one hand I am delighted that someone is bringing this subject to a wider audience, especially the mentions of treatises and swordsmanship (rather than just the swords as collectable objects). I think it’s great that arms collectors and other people reading this niche publication are being enlightened on the fact that there is a rich corpus of detailed material available which relates to the use of hand weapons over the last few centuries. The more people know this, the better. Certainly it can only be a good thing for HEMA and our general profile.

However, I have become increasingly frustrated with the inaccuracy of these articles. I feel like they are in need of an editor who knows about HEMA. There are some glaring errors being made, such as saying that Marozzo rarely deals with thrusts, or that Johannes Liechtenauer himself published a treatise in 1389. There are also some misconceptions in there, based on a not very good understanding of some of the weapons and the way they should be used. I do wish that Duncan Noble had consulted with some more experienced HEMA people. Or at least had someone with some knowledge read over his article to spot the glaring errors and internal contradictions in some of his statements. It is a shame, because he seems very well intentioned and is obviously passionate, but for anyone who knows about the subject your enjoyment of the articles will be spoiled by the error rate.

Then again, in this case, are the details that important? These magazine articles are not likely to be relied upon as reference sources in future research and publication. At the end of the day, they may act as a window into swordsmanship for some new people. If more people Google search for swordsmanship and the names of the sources mentioned in these articles then they are more likely to discover HEMA. So all in all I am happy that Duncan Noble has written these articles and thank him for that.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: Duncan Noble articles in Classic Arms & Militaria Magazi

Postby Chiron » 04 Feb 2013 14:30

Have you written a letter to the editor? Not a mean one, just asking whether they would like some help, the Editor should be pretty understanding, I doubt he would permit those kinds of errors in other fields. He may not even know that there are people who have done substantial amounts of research into the subject, something that sounds fairly typically academic.
nay king, nay quin we willnae be fooled again!
Terry pratchet, the wee free men:
Chiron
Lieutenant

Postby admin » 04 Feb 2013 15:33

That may be worthwhile, but I do not want to seem petty or discourage the author. The innaccuracies only really matter to the tiny proportion of readers who know the subject very well.

admin
Emperor

Postby Chiron » 04 Feb 2013 19:47

If you word nicely and say it with a smile it shouldn't come off as such, the only reason you care is because you like what he's doing. He might be glad to have some help, can't be easy getting a handle on the subject. There's still allot of confused stuff still on the internet from when most HEMA people didn't know what they were looking at.
nay king, nay quin we willnae be fooled again!
Terry pratchet, the wee free men:
Chiron
Lieutenant

Re: Review: Duncan Noble in Classic Arms & Militaria Magazin

Postby admin » 27 Apr 2014 08:56

Well, unfortunately, Duncan Noble's latest article for Classic Arms & Militaria has as many or more mistakes as previous articles. :(
Apparently there were two styles of medieval longsword - 'German' and 'Italian'. The former was apparenty more aggressive and the latter was more subtle. Oh dear. :evil:

admin
Emperor

Postby Ty N. » 27 Apr 2014 15:01

We should punish him on Facebook. And Twitter.

#DuncanNobleCrapsOnMedievalLongsword

#WatchMattEastonOnYouTube
Ty N.
News Hound

Postby admin » 28 Apr 2014 11:09

Done on Facebook.

Nobody uses Twitter anymore.

admin
Emperor

Postby knirirr » 29 Apr 2014 11:39

admin wrote:Done on Facebook.

Nobody uses Twitter anymore.

There does seem to be a fair amount of HEMA activity on Twitter.
I don't think that any LSD regulars are active on Facebook and most don't have an account. I had reason to ask people at last night's pugilism class if any of them used Facebook. Of the six there, one said they did, one reluctantly admitted to having an account which he rarely used. The remainder all avoid it.
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Return to Market & Reviews