Advice: "Stiff" vs. "Flexible" Regenyei feders?

Open to public view.

Advice: "Stiff" vs. "Flexible" Regenyei feders?

Postby MugginsToadwort » 05 Sep 2012 07:01

Anja and I are looking at placing an order for some Regenyei longsword feders, but we are struggling to decide which "variety" to go with: the more flexible or the stiffer blades. To a large extent, I'd prefer something that we can spar in relatively light protection, considering the South African heat, but I have heard comments that some people prefer the stiffer blades. Can I have some opinions please?
James Roberts
Medieval Armed Combat Society

Overqualified, overemployed, and looking to hit someone with a sword several times
MugginsToadwort
Major

Re: "Stiff" vs. "Flexible" Regenyei feders?

Postby admin » 05 Sep 2012 09:11

We have a mixture of both and we don'f find the difference massive. I generally agree that a bit more flex in the thrust is desirable, but at the same time I worried that some of the really flexible ones were so thin that they were more likely to break (which let's face it, is the biggest concern of all). None of ours have broken though.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Scoobing » 05 Sep 2012 09:23

I've got one on order from Peter and have gone for the stiffer blade as i wanted one that could take a lot of punishment of full contact sparring, that said in live in Manchester UK and it's always raining so African heat is'nt a problem
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 05 Sep 2012 13:54

MugginsToadwort wrote:Anja and I are looking at placing an order for some Regenyei longsword feders, but we are struggling to decide which "variety" to go with: the more flexible or the stiffer blades. To a large extent, I'd prefer something that we can spar in relatively light protection, considering the South African heat, but I have heard comments that some people prefer the stiffer blades. Can I have some opinions please?

I would go for the stiffer.
No mather if you get a flexing or heawy version. you should still be using protection for steel. You won't get around it- so you need to padd up no mather what. (having used a superlight version, and still manages to break a finger. Besides, the thinner they are the finer the edge of impact, not that it mathers that much at this slimmnes)
Why? they will stand up to Ensifers and Albions much better. And unless you are using them as just a pair for your own sake, then you might want the durability.
just my 50öre.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby MugginsToadwort » 05 Sep 2012 15:08

Magnus Hagelberg wrote:
MugginsToadwort wrote:Anja and I are looking at placing an order for some Regenyei longsword feders, but we are struggling to decide which "variety" to go with: the more flexible or the stiffer blades. To a large extent, I'd prefer something that we can spar in relatively light protection, considering the South African heat, but I have heard comments that some people prefer the stiffer blades. Can I have some opinions please?

I would go for the stiffer.
No mather if you get a flexing or heawy version. you should still be using protection for steel. You won't get around it- so you need to padd up no mather what. (having used a superlight version, and still manages to break a finger. Besides, the thinner they are the finer the edge of impact, not that it mathers that much at this slimmnes)
Why? they will stand up to Ensifers and Albions much better. And unless you are using them as just a pair for your own sake, then you might want the durability.
just my 50öre.

Good point. I've played with a number of Regenyeis, but Anja got her first experience in Germany recently. There were a pair of Regenyeis and a pair of Albion Meyers, and I definitely preferred the Regenyeis. Anja was a little less picky, but money definitely talks! We're hoping a few more people will join in on the order.
James Roberts
Medieval Armed Combat Society

Overqualified, overemployed, and looking to hit someone with a sword several times
MugginsToadwort
Major

Postby Matias P » 13 Sep 2012 16:05

We had two lighter ones, but managed to break both in less than six months. We only use the heavier version now, and haven't managed to break one yet.
Matias Parmala
Espoo Society for Historical Fencing
Matias P
Private

Postby Joeli » 14 Sep 2012 19:02

Matias P wrote:We had two lighter ones, but managed to break both in less than six months. We only use the heavier version now, and haven't managed to break one yet.

Well, unless you count mine. It seems to hold up so far. I put some dents on an Ensifer feder last week with it, or so I'm told, and cut one of the other Regenyeis ones out of commission.
Joeli
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Ivan » 17 Sep 2012 14:05

My flexible one snapped this summer, and I've seen 4 occasions where they remained bent after a powerful thrust, including my new one.
I'd definetly go with the stiff one.
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Stabbing People in the Face since 2008.®
Ivan
Corporal

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews