Miran Krističič's stuff

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Miran Krističič's stuff

Postby tabiris » 10 Oct 2011 20:44

Hello all!

I am very proud to announce that my small country of Slovenia has a new, promising smith. So, to indroduce him, here is a sabre:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7900/dsc00150i.jpg

As you can see, it's based on a Hutton sabre - some of our group had very bad experience with hanwei swords (practical side-swords broke in less than a month, one on the very first training), so we didn't want those. We asked the man to make us a sabre we could use, and gave him the hanwei Hutton sabre as an example of what we want - only better. Upon examining Hutton's Cold Steel, we saw that hanwei had been loyal to the drawing, so we didn't want the basic shape changed much.

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7410/dsc00149lw.jpg

Currently, we have 2 of the sabres - one's been used by Roman Vučajnk for some time now, and he's very happy with it. The other one's been used for a bit more than a month, and the owner likes it a lot too. :) The point is, they've been tested in sparring and held up - the pictures here are of the newer one. Also, these pictures have been taken on our last training, so the sabre's not new. :)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9366/dsc00151m.jpg
So, for some statistics:

Length: 94cm
Blade lenght: 78cm
Weight: cca 730g

Flex, compared to a hanwei (hanwei on the right, with the red tip; on the left is Miran's sabre)

Since the guard is a lot of work if done by hand, it'll be cast; however, it can be handmade, though it costs extra. (the one on the picture is handmade)

The price is 150 eur.

If anyone is interested in the sabre, send me a pm or a mail to tabiris@gmail.com, since a website isn't up yet. But we're working on it. :)

I'll update this page with some more stuff shortly.

EDIT: Put links to photos, since the pics got cut a bit... I'll mend that ASAP. In the meanwhile, two pics of a brand-new sabre:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1420/sabla.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7541/sabla2.jpg
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Re: Miran Krističič's stuff

Postby Dithyrambus » 11 Oct 2011 02:17

I see he made the grip a bit more substantial, which is certainly an improvement! I may be in touch soon, any idea how much shipping to the US may be? Time line for delivery?
Mark H.

"I have two enemies, the Southern Army in front of me, and the financial institutions in the rear. Of the two, the one in my rear is my greatest foe.” Abraham Lincoln

If you can parry a bull you can parry pretty much anything - Lyceum
Dithyrambus
Colonel

Postby Phil C » 11 Oct 2011 09:56

Hanwei got the form correct but missed 3-4" off the blade length.
Any chance they can be made 7.5-10cm longer?
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby admin » 11 Oct 2011 10:30

Yes, the Hanwei Hutton is disappointing in a number of ways. Is it possible to change this design slightly, such as adding 5cm to the blade and making the blade and grip a bit wider? Is it possible to buy blades only? Do you have a photo of what the cast guard will look like?
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby tabiris » 11 Oct 2011 11:54

Since it's handmade, it is possible to make changes like that. It'll cost a little extra (+15 eur, for a total of 165 eur) for the extra material and work, though.

The grip and the blade are both wider than with hanwei, made to fit a bigger hand as it is. I'll take some pictures today at the training to see how the blade compares to Hanwei.

As for the pictures of the cast hilt, it'll be the same. One is currently in production, and I'll post pictures of it when it's done.

Also, it will be possible to buy bare blades. Again, they're handmade to fit the guard specific for the sabre, so it might take a file to make it fit into, say, a hanwei set. Will also see if i can try doing that today. :) The cost will be cca 100 for a heat-treated one, 80 for non-heat treated.

Additionally, i'll update with the PoB, blade width, and grip width.

Thank you all for the interest!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby Monster Zero » 11 Oct 2011 15:14

Any price difference for sales to non EU countries since there is no VAT involved?

Very interested.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby tabiris » 12 Oct 2011 21:53

Sorry the pictures are late, but here they are (sorry for the rotation, imageshack doesn't let me fix it...):

The grip (hanwei is the upper one):

It's about 3cm wide at the pommel, 2 at the middle and 1 at it's narrowest. It may not seem like a big difference numbers-wise, but that's about 30% more than on the Hanwei (which is slightly more than 2cm at the thickest, then rapidly changes to 1cm)

As for the blade, i must admit that i was wrong; it's the same width as the hanwei (again, hanwei is the upper one).

Although, i honestly wouldn't change the width, especially with a longer blade, since it'll add mass (and i like the fact that sabre sparring requires rather light protection).

And now for something completely different! A pair of knives:

This one's 150 eur. It's been deliberately left somewhat unpolished to give it a more rugged look. The handle is made of antler.

This one's 130 eur, also made of antler and left unpolished.

That's all for now, anyone interested PM me or send an email to tabiris@gmail.com

Cheers!

EDIT: resized & reuploaded the pics...
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 13 Oct 2011 08:56

I think the sabre should have about 5cm more blade length and the guard looks like it needs making thicker. The grip needs to be wider, as well as thicker, otherwise you end up with a cylindrical grip that can turn in the hand too easily. I don't think these things should cost extra, they should be standard.

admin
Emperor

Postby tabiris » 13 Oct 2011 11:38

The blade will be made longer, about 7-8cm extra. I'll also tell him to make the guard a bit thicker (suggestions on the thickness?) and less cylindrical. As for the extra cost, once the longer ones are made, the price will be set, but will most probably be around 165-170 eur. That's not because it would simply be "extra", but because there's more work to it, and more material used (the blades aren't CC milled).

A few more things i'd like to know before the longer sabre will actually be made:

a) What should the max. weight be?
b) What would the ideal PoB for a sabre be?
c) should the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the blade be made extra flexy and with a safe punta?

I'll make sure suggestions will be carefully weighed. Also, if anyone will be visiting dreyn, find folks with AAD.si shirts, and we'll have the sabres to try out. Hopefully, we'll also be able to bring the longer, improved sabre just as well. :)

Cheers, and hope to hear the suggestions soon!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby Andreas Engström » 13 Oct 2011 13:03

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. :-)

If they turn out good my sabre group might be interested in an order. I completely agree with Matt's suggestions, though; without them I'm not interested.

I might like the option to get a slightly flared point, by the way. (Nail-head or shepherd's crook). This gives at least rudimentary thrust-protection with bared blades and also makes thrust-protectors sit much firmer on the point and not be worn through so quickly.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby admin » 13 Oct 2011 15:03

tabiris wrote:The blade will be made longer, about 7-8cm extra. I'll also tell him to make the guard a bit thicker (suggestions on the thickness?) and less cylindrical.

According to antique swords (both sharp and practice swords), the approxiate stats should be:
Blade length from guard: Around 85cm
Handle from side to side: 2.5cm
Handle from front to back: 3.5cm
Point of balance: About 12cm from the guard
Total weight: About 850-900g

Having these stats would make them applicable to most European infantry officer's swords and like a slightly lighter version of many cavalry swords. It also corresponds to the British 1864 pattern practice sabre, more or less.

I would recommend 2mm thick steel for the guard, at least. I also think the Hanwei Hutton guards are wider than they need to be, but that is a matter of personal taste and others may disagree.

I also strongly recommend making the tangs wider than on the Hanwei Hutton - this would be facilitated by making the grip larger as suggested above of course.

c) should the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the blade be made extra flexy and with a safe punta?

I think it looks fine as it is. I certainly do not think it should be more flexi than that, because then the blade will be too light towards the tip and more likely to break.

Thanks for your work on this!

admin
Emperor

Postby Harry » 14 Oct 2011 06:30

I really like his knifes, but he definetly needs to improve his leather craftsmanship :)
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby admin » 14 Oct 2011 10:33

Agreed, especially at that price, when you see what you can get from someone like Tods Stuff.

admin
Emperor

Postby tabiris » 14 Oct 2011 14:25

We're still looking for a leatherworker to work with us. Sword scabbards, which have a wooden core, aren't really problematic, but pure leatherworking seems to be giving us some problems. If we don't find a leatherworker,, I'll learn how to do it to have at least decent basic scabbards. Seems like those two knives are the first things i'll work with. :)

Now, a couple things more:
For the sabre, we're seriously tempted to take the hilt inspiration from the gymnasium sword.

the blade will be 85cm long, that is about 7 cm longer than it is now. We're not completely sure about the weight, but most definetely below 900gr. The guard will be switched to 2mm (from 1) for extra sturdiness. The sabre's blade will most probably be available in both peened and threaded types, by customer's choice.

The second thing's also interesting: there is a longsword federschwert in the works:

This is the previous prototype, but the flex wasn't what we needed. It weighed about 1350g, and had the PoB at 5cm from the crossguard. The newer one will be slightly heavier (1400-1450), and have the PoB at 7-8cm. Also, the points will be gone for safety reasons. Grip in this case is twine covered with bee wax, when the feder's been properly tested, it'll be available both in twin & bee wax as well as leather.

Testing the flex
aaand a return to true.

Now, what i really want to know is wether you prefer that shape, or would you prefer something like this:

Personally, i'd go with the type on the sketch, but that's because i really dislike inversely tapred feders (this one is VERY slightly inversely tapered, the difference isless than a cm).

I'm getting the new prototype to try out rather soon, and will let you know how it handles. The first one handled wonderfully, but had flex problems. I'm hoping this one's even better. :)

Regards,
Alen
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby Andreas Engström » 14 Oct 2011 21:47

The hilt of the gymnasia sabre is quite OK (and easily mass-produced), but I can't help rather wanting to hava a hilt like this one.. the curve near the pommel, both outer and inner, really improves the handling IMHO.

-Andreas
Attachments
hilt.jpg
hilt.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby admin » 15 Oct 2011 08:48

Maybe two options should be available? The British 1864 gymnasium type hilt should be easier and therefore cheaper to produce, but I agree that the backstrap type hilt, as found on the Hanwei and the Swedish gymnasium sword above, would be nice as well, for a bit more cost.

admin
Emperor

Postby tabiris » 15 Oct 2011 11:46

Originally, the idea was that the sharps would have the current hildt, and blunts the gymnasium hilt - but i don't see why we couldn't make 2 versions both blunt and sharp. :)

Quick update: Tried if the blade is interchangable with the Hanwei. It's not, the reason is in about a 2mm wider tang.

Cheers and i'll keep you updated!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby tabiris » 17 Oct 2011 19:08

Some more stuff!

Single-edged Rondel - this is the less common type of the rondel, since it has only one edge. Miran was surprised to see an example in the museaum, and he liked it so much he decided to make one:

The price, including the scabbard, is 160eur.

And a Katzbalger:

Lenght: 905mm
Weight: 1070gr
Handle lenght (with pommel): 180mm
Point of balance: 50mm

Price (including the sheath): 220eur

We've also added a FB page, where you can visit us and check the updates, while the actual webpage is under construction:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krsticic-Swordsmithy/238755506178192
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby tabiris » 21 Oct 2011 12:12

This is a longsword made to customer specifications:

The customer wanted a somewhat more rigid blade, so this one is more appropriate to be either sharpened or used for showfights than HEMA. A more flexible blade can also be made, of course. :)

Weight: 1650gr
Lenght: 118cm
Blade lenght: 90,5cm
PoB: 7,5cm

This one went for 200 eur.
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby tabiris » 23 Oct 2011 21:55

Here is a video of a rapier just made, and the flex it has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2hKCmGh7oM

It's me using it, and i'm a longsword guy, not a rapier guy... But you get the gist. :)

Cheers!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to Market & Reviews