Armourclass 17th Century Hand and a Half

Open to public view.

Armourclass 17th Century Hand and a Half

Postby the_last_alive » 03 Sep 2006 21:57

I decided i wanted a hand and a half to play with, and i've since started using it to practice drills from Fighting with the German Longsword.

It's blunt, i bought it for re-enactment. So yeah.

The balance and weight i love, it handles like a dream, to me anyway... the only other longsword i've handled is a friends 6kg re-enactment piece...

The only complaint i have is the flex in the blade, it flexes too much, and too easily, trying out something from Talhoffer, i could actually see the blade bend as it swung round...

Other than that, i love it. and it looks pretty...

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?swor_ac_hh_a.jpg

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?swor_ac_hh_c.jpg

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?swor_ac_hh_d.jpg

So yeah... if you want stats, say and i'll get them for you...

All i can say is that i love it. I'd prefer it to have a more rigid blade, but then again chances are that that would alter the balance and weight.

http://www.armourclass.co.uk/Data/Pages/17Century_2.htm

I should add that i've hardly used it, as my swordmaster won't let me fight her with it, and she's my main opponent...
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Paul » 03 Sep 2006 23:08

Very pretty indeed! 8)
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby swordflasher » 04 Sep 2006 14:00

Thanks! I've always liked the look of that one, but never handled one.

I've heard about their blades before - It seems the stock they use for some of their swords is too thin. .James had a nIce single hander of theirs, bit ended up having Todd of Todd's Stuff in the UK make a new blade to put on the nicely made hilt.

Thanks again, Martin, most helpful!
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2006 21:11

swordflasher wrote:Thanks! I've always liked the look of that one, but never handled one.

I've heard about their blades before - It seems the stock they use for some of their swords is too thin. .James had a nIce single hander of theirs, bit ended up having Todd of Todd's Stuff in the UK make a new blade to put on the nicely made hilt.

I've also got one of their single handed hangers...

That's probably a bit on the heavy side, but fine for what i got it for (re-enactment)... i suspect that they buy the bars they forge from in one size only and use it for everything... meaning that the longer blades aren't as thick, or rigid... it's only a theory though.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
the_last_alive
General

Postby admin » 04 Sep 2006 21:20

It's a correct theory. :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2006 22:47

swordflasher wrote:Thanks! I've always liked the look of that one, but never handled one.

What are Todd's blades like?
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby J Marwood » 05 Sep 2006 01:44

The blade I have is pretty good - it's the only sword blade of his I have seen. Good stell, takes an edge and holds it, well balanced and well fitted. AFAIK he doesn't do the making, rather he comissions them from a chap in Poland.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Nikos » 28 Sep 2006 12:46

I have that same hand and a half from armourclass, bought it in march of this year and its had heavy use twice a week since. I never planned on buying such a late hand and a half, but I was at the re-enactors market in coventry and it was sat their looking pretty on armourclass's table.

Anyway, yes its a fantastic sword, it weighs 1.5 kg, pretty normal for the length, however considering the style of guard most of the weight is in the hilt, making for a super light blade. Yes it is too flexible for much of Talhoffer technique, its just not that kind of weapon, however against light hand and a halfs and other weapons, including rapier, it can be both very effective and a lot of fun to use. It can come a cropper in the bind against heavy more rigid blades, but you just have to get used to it and play to its advantages, allround a fantastic weapon and one of my favourites in my collection.
Nikos
General

A top blade!

Postby TheDude » 28 Sep 2006 15:44

I can confirm that this blade is both fast and well balanced. It is not designed for Talhoffer or half hand techniques but more of a bastard/rapier cross breed. The thrst is fast and gives you incredible reach. A very good compromise weapon, good guard and good fun to use!
TheDude
Major

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews