Request for comments: shin/knee protection

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Request for comments: shin/knee protection

Postby Mearcstapa » 20 Jun 2013 20:05

I am sure you could simply sew elastic inserts in.

On another note, I recently bought these:

Gryphon Anatomic Shinguards

These are hockey shinguards, that wrap most of the way around the sides of the calf and are secured with two wide velcro straps. The bottom protects the ankle quite well.

I persuades one of the fourth-form to hit me across the shins with a cricket bat whilst I was wearing them. What would have been an unbearably painful (fracturing?) strike was mitigated to a bearably painful strike (i.e. it still hurt quite badly and left a large bruise/dent in my shin). This was not a full-force blow, but in fairness was straight against the bone of the shin (an unlikely strike as far as I can work out) rather than the meaty part of the calf.

They do not significantly affect mobility and offer good protection below the knee all around the leg except the back 1/3 or so.
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 20 Jun 2013 20:44

They look cool as well. Link to the shop?
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Mark T » 22 Jun 2013 04:28

I finally got the baseball guards mentioned earlier, and can give some quick impressions:

The DLG-UMP Lite guard is lightweight, but the padding on the sides does not extend very far around the calf. The knee section is not secured, and tends to 'flap' forward a bit, which is distracting. I kept expecting them to catch on each other, but they didn't - at least in my limited testing ... still feels like they could, though, with more contstrained footwork.

The ix3 guards are great! The calf padding extends far enough around for my liking. The crossover strap design for the calf holds these in place better than just standard cross-straps. The hardware is metal, and the double-ring design is simple and effective. It looks like you could even replace the straps on these, should that be necessary.

The foot plate is removable on each ... it doesn't seem to get in the way, though, and could help in case of perennial foot-trappers / those who have cross-trained in other arts.

Not being a baseballer, I still don't know what the thinking is behind the triple knee design, but I can say that it works in practice better than I would have expected. Still, if you don't need the top portion, you can easily remove it.

Personally, I really like this design. I'm sure there are other baseball leg guards which will have their own design features, and am not suggesting the ix3s are 'the best'. However, I now think that baseball guards overall provide a great mix of an integrated knee-shin guard (combining a shin guard with separate knee protection, such as Knee Pros, seems a little clunky to me).

The ankle protection is very nice, and something we tend to only see in baseball and field hockey guards, and is peace of mind that I like a lot.

Finally, these guards are thin in profile. While I haven't seen inline and ice hockey leg guards in person, the online video reviews make them look huge! I have trialled some inline arm/elbow guards, and the amount of padding seemed too great for what we need, and provided a pronounced target area.

So, for me - at this point at least - baseball leg guards are where it's at!
Attachments
Diamond DLG-UMP Lite 170 leg guards.jpg
Diamond DLG-UMP Lite 170 leg guards.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
Diamond ix3 baseball umpire's shin guard.jpg
Diamond ix3 baseball umpire's shin guard.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
Mark T
Corporal

Postby Dangermouse » 31 Dec 2013 15:42

We finally have these in stock now and we think they are great. Club rates available and we have a sale on this week. Thanks for the heads up Matt! :)

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/ ... 0c792b7d0c
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy
The Knight Shop Intl. Ltd.

Buried in each man's soul lies the noble spark that will make a hero of him - when the fateful moment arrives, it will leap up like a flame and illuminate great deeds. - Tolstoy
Dangermouse
Captain

Postby admin » 09 Jan 2014 21:02

Really really good news Bryan. Thanks for sorting these out - everyone should have a pair!

admin
Emperor

Postby the_last_alive » 09 Jan 2014 22:16

Mine arrived yesterday. Looking forward to trying them out.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby admin » 08 Mar 2014 19:16

Brief review of the HEMA Shop leg guards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEd04ytkNco

admin
Emperor

Postby Slartibartfast » 26 Sep 2014 18:32

I've been testing these polo guards recently:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Strap-Velcr ... 1386435863

polo.jpg
polo.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 3026 times

Although they seemed really promising they let me down the first time recently when it actually mattered. I received some strong sabre hits to the side of the knee and just below, and besides some serious calf bruising there was some tingling in tendons right after the hit that I want to avoid in future. Although the side of knee coverage looks not too bad when you see the shape of the pads, I suspect they don't do as good a job as the motocross and baseball guards because the leather and padding is essentially squishy and deforms, thereby absorbing impacts but not sufficiently, and still letting the blade travel through. The hard edges of those other protectors probably do a better job at stopping the blade right where it impacts, or at least keeping it at a fixed distance away from the leg surface, so the effective protection you get from a given coverage contour of the guard is better from the hard protectors than from leather, especially for hard strikes when it matters most. Was worth a shot though.

Baseball protectors look increasingly appealing - the motocross (-inspired) ones including the Red Dragons are quite short and don't go down the shins very far, especially if you have long legs.
Slartibartfast
Recruit in training

Postby Mearcstapa » 02 Oct 2014 16:32

Polo kneeguards are not a great shout - the more rigid ones tend to be the old-style ones with highly inflexible leather straps. They're designed for protecting your legs when engaged in a ride-off with other players (which effectively amounts to a shoulder-barging contest between two galloping horses) rather than impacts.
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Previous

Return to Market & Reviews