Request for comments: shin/knee protection

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Request for comments: shin/knee protection

Postby admin » 29 Jul 2011 09:57

Yep, I find them perfect and incredibly cheap. These are standard kit in SG1.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Hindmost » 12 Oct 2011 14:50

These 'Knee-Pro Ultra Flex III' are also quite interesting and not too expensive (€ 29,95 in Holland):

A couple of the guys in my club bought these for steel sparring and to meet tournament requirements etc and they appear to offer excellent protection - I even tried them over the Mr Solutions brushcutter shinguards and they seemed fine.
Marcos Ariño
Hindmost
Sergeant

Postby Mark T » 28 Apr 2013 02:24

Just wanted to see what people's current recommendations are for knee and shin protection?

What has been working? What hasn't? What has come to our attention in the last couple of years?
Mark T
Corporal

Postby admin » 28 Apr 2013 09:48

Almost everyone I train with is using the Brushcutter guards and have been for a few years now. IMO they are pretty much perfect...and cheap.

admin
Emperor

Postby Mearcstapa » 29 Apr 2013 23:55

I have a slightly older version of these:

However, their default position is 'bent' so straightening the leg results in rub on the lower thigh.

Looked at these rather jazzy creations (Mizuno Samurai G3 baseball leg pad) - wonder how robust they are. $75 a pop.

Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby Andreas Engström » 30 Apr 2013 08:38

My main gripe with the brushcutters (I used to use them earlier) is that they have a huge gap just on the side of the knee joint, exactly where I tend to cut people in sabre sparring (and exactly where a cut will cause maximum injury, unfortunately).

After I injured Mikael quite badly (he couldn't fence properly for almost two months) we ditched the brushcutters and went over to these (which nowadays everyone in the sabre group and a lot of the longsworders in GHFS use):

http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/MC/Pe ... der-82649/
They're really cheap (about 30€), and protect very well, even on the side of the knee. They're also quite comfy, to the point that I sometimes forget I even have them on.

(oh, and that ugly "SPORT" badge at the top is easily removed :-))

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby admin » 30 Apr 2013 09:22

Very nice and they even come in Schola colours! Thanks for the recommendation - do you know the make and model name please? Buying from Sweden would probably not be economical, I'd like to see if they are available in the UK.

admin
Emperor

Postby Mark T » 30 Apr 2013 09:57

Andreas Engström wrote:My main gripe with the brushcutters (I used to use them earlier) is that they have a huge gap just on the side of the knee joint, exactly where I tend to cut people ...

That's my main reservation too. However, motorcross legs, while covering the knee, don't cover the ankle. And guards that do cover the ankle (such as soccer and field hockey) don't cover the knee. Maybe it's time to look at baseball leg guards? ...
Mark T
Corporal

Postby the_last_alive » 30 Apr 2013 10:21

Andreas, how well do they stay in place? One of SG1 has similar leg guards, but they constantly slip down his leg. Do you find they stay put on the leg ok?
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Andreas Engström » 30 Apr 2013 12:42

admin wrote:Very nice and they even come in Schola colours! Thanks for the recommendation - do you know the make and model name please? Buying from Sweden would probably not be economical, I'd like to see if they are available in the UK.

I will try to find out. It's not listed on the site, and I haven't kept the packaging..

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Andreas Engström » 30 Apr 2013 14:49

the_last_alive wrote:Andreas, how well do they stay in place? One of SG1 has similar leg guards, but they constantly slip down his leg. Do you find they stay put on the leg ok?

I find that they stay very well put if you cross the upper and middle strap (snapping each into place where the other is actually intended to go). We also tighten the strap buckles (the strap length is adjustable, of course) very firmy and tape or stitch them into place so the straps don't accidentally slip and become longer.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Andreas Engström » 30 Apr 2013 14:52

Mark T wrote:
Andreas Engström wrote:My main gripe with the brushcutters (I used to use them earlier) is that they have a huge gap just on the side of the knee joint, exactly where I tend to cut people ...

That's my main reservation too. However, motorcross legs, while covering the knee, don't cover the ankle. And guards that do cover the ankle (such as soccer and field hockey) don't cover the knee. Maybe it's time to look at baseball leg guards? ...

Perhaps, but judging from the ones Mearcstapa posted above they seem to have a gap by the knee, like the brushcutters (a bit smaller gap, but still).

For my own selfish purposes I find that being hit in the knee is about a hundred times more common than being hit on the ankle in sabre. :-) Longsword people may have different priorities due to the popularity of the "gayslerhaw".

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Mearcstapa » 30 Apr 2013 17:05

Old-timey baseball guards:

This appears to be a side-view of the baseball guards:

Regarding side-of-knee protection, I suspect that only 'jointed' guards like the Swedish ones above and possibly some other extreme sports pads will offer anything - and the latter probably nothing rigid.

Anyone seen these before? Armadillo knee pads.

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessories/armadilloknee.htm
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby Mark T » 04 May 2013 03:33

Inspired by Mearcstapa's inital post of baseball guards, here's a cross-post from HEMAAlliance Forum:

I've been contemplating leg protection for heavy use / full contact / tournaments. It seems like a lot of the standard options have some key limitations:

- Inline hockey legs are very bulky.
    - Brushcutter guards don't cover all of the knee. Andreas from GHFS recently posted that they no longer use these, and have shifted to motorcross legs. (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17357&start=20)
    - Motorcross leg guards cover the knees and shins, but not ankles.
    - Soccer and field hockey shin guards don't cover the knee or ankles.

After a life of adventure (and misadventure), I've got some knee injuries, and an ankle I managed to crush under a motorbike ... so I've been on the hunt for some leg protection that will cover knees, shins, and ankles. Looks like baseball catchers' or umpires' leg guards could be a good option.

Now, out of the 138 hits for 'baseball' on this forum, I think only three people (Keith Cotter-Reilly, John Knoch, and Jake Norwood) have mentioned using baseball shin guards.

From a *very* brief look at some designs on line - and some commentary from baseballers - it seems like a lot of designs have a 'double' or 'triple' knee design, which looks like it could restrict mobility. However, some, such as the Diamond DLG-UMP model below, have just a single knee.

So:
- who else has worn baseball leg guards?
- what did you like and not like?
- what other models look promising?
- does the 'single' knee look like enough, or would the 'double' provide more coverage for when crouching / lower thigh bone - which doesn't have much muscle to cover it, and which may not be covered by a girdle?
Attachments
Diamond ix3 baseball umpire's shin guard.jpg
Diamond ix3 baseball umpire's shin guard.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
Diamond DLG-UMP Lite 170 leg guards.jpg
Diamond DLG-UMP Lite 170 leg guards.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
Mark T
Corporal

Postby Thearos » 04 May 2013 18:56

On motorcross--

http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/?i=53 ... mpaign=rss

Can you stretch your leg straight with such guards ?

[edited, link was incomplete]
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Thearos » 05 May 2013 14:49

And would these be a good idea ? (I work on the assumption that ankles and even lower shins are less in need of protection)

http://www.24mx.co.uk/motocross/p/polis ... ards/s198/
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Andreas Engström » 05 May 2013 20:58

Andreas Engström wrote:
admin wrote:Very nice and they even come in Schola colours! Thanks for the recommendation - do you know the make and model name please? Buying from Sweden would probably not be economical, I'd like to see if they are available in the UK.

I will try to find out. It's not listed on the site, and I haven't kept the packaging..

-Andreas

Found the manufacturer! It's a Chinese company from Guangdong, "Shenzhen City U-Lucky Sporting Goods Co., Ltd."

http://u-lucky.en.alibaba.com/product/4 ... E_PAD.html

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 06 May 2013 08:06

Andreas Engström wrote:
Andreas Engström wrote:

-Andreas

Found the manufacturer! It's a Chinese company from Guangdong, "Shenzhen City U-Lucky Sporting Goods Co., Ltd."

http://u-lucky.en.alibaba.com/product/4 ... E_PAD.html

-Andreas

cool.
wonde what the price would be for them.

Minimum Order Quantity: 500 Pair/Pairs -> ok.. cooperaiton with a larger company would perhapps be the way to go I suppose.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Monster Zero » 07 May 2013 20:31

I have switched to these:

http://www.amazon.com/2013-Thor-Static- ... =thor+shin

They are absolutely fantastic. They have a shin guard as well that is underneath the neoprene. The exposed part of the knee cap also wraps around the knee a bit more than is exposed providing excellent coverage.

Best of all, the attachment system isn't straps, but a sleeve so they stay in place, exactly where you put them. At the same time the pressure is evenly distributed, so it never feels binding or hurts your mobility.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Thearos » 08 May 2013 14:55

Thanks
Thearos
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Market & Reviews