Peter Regenyei Swords. Experiences?

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Peter Regenyei Swords. Experiences?

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 28 Jul 2011 09:51

Thanks for the review and conragts to your sword. Out of interest: what is the prize then?
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Ivan » 14 Aug 2011 10:54

Ok, here's my review of the Feder, now that I finally have my hands on it.

First, some specs.
It's between 1.35 and 1.4 kg (broken scale), and 130 cm in lenght.
The grip (with the pommel) is 30 cm, while the blade itself is 100cm.
At the base below the schilt, the thickness of the blade is 5 mm, and at the tip it's 1.8 mm.
The sword has a rolled tip: http://cl.ly/0C2i1s1H3s212f1p2u0Y.
The edges are rounded and are very resilient to nicks, and the grip is cord-wrapped.

The CoG is located at the top of the flares, 7cm from the guard, and the sword rotates at the tip while swinging as it's being held at the top of the grip by the guard.
The two harmonic nodes are located at 40 cm from the tip, and the other one in the middle of the grip.
The flex is remarkably good, it flexes easily at the top third, there is a slight curve up to the middle of the blade, while the strong remains quite stiff.

Now that we got that out of the way, I have to say that this sword is a joy to use. I haven't done much sword-on-sword contacts, since I'm recovering from a shoulder injury, but sofar it's behaved great.
The sword exhibits no wobbliness in versetzen, has power behind the strike, while still being very fast with deadly tip control. The grip is very comfortable, despite being completely flat on the sides.

We have ordered two feders, and mine has a custom S-guard:
http://cl.ly/380I1b3l3U1E2C2T3l12
The normal one:
http://cl.ly/2I401c2P2O3Q1Q0q151G
The problem with the S-guard in Peter's execution is that there is a very prominent ridge in the middle, that messes with techniques requiring you to put the thumb on the flat. It can be done, but it's not comfortable.
http://cl.ly/1D3T3F3Y152Z1j0w0m28

As for the flares, the good thing is, when they catch your opponent's blade, they don't let go. The bad thing is, when they catch your opponent's blade, they don't let go. :) This can be frustrating for techniques such as mutieren, where it's required to switch the binding edge from long>short and vice-versa, when the thing just locks up in certain situations.

Even though it's not that important, the harmonics are a bit off. This is my first feder, and I have no experience with other ones, maybe it's like this across the board.
[EDIT]
The hilt stopped rattling after some use. Seems things just needed to sit into place.

There is still place for improvement, but for the price (170€), this is one of the best, if not the best sword you can get at the moment.

Gallery link
Last edited by Ivan on 15 Sep 2011 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Stabbing People in the Face since 2008.®
Ivan
Corporal

Postby Sven1 » 15 Aug 2011 07:43

Ivan wrote:
Even though it's not that important, the harmonics are a bit off. This is my first feder, and I have no experience with other ones, maybe it's like this across the board.
The problem is with the node between your hands on the grip. In a strong strike/bind, when the sword vibrates at a really high frequency, it transfers uncomfortably on your hands, giving you a feeling of holding a drill or a blender set to max, messing with your Fühlen. Atleast, that's why I think it's like that.

that's a major flaw, I'd try to return it.
You may call me asshole if you wish.
Sven1
Corporal

Postby admin » 31 Aug 2011 11:37

Many of us bought Peter's feders at FightCamp this year and I have used mine since for both drilling and sparring. I think it's great, the best feder and safest steel longsword simulator I have ever used. I really like how they are all slightly different to each other as well.
If I were to change his current feders at all the only thing I might change slightly would be to use slightly thicker steel stock (ie. thicker at the ricasso) to bring the total weight up a little. Nothing else. For Fiore I do think the standard hilts are a bit too long for most people, but that's not a criticism because Peter will make just about any blade or hilt length you want.
I'd therefore list these sword simulators as 'Highly recommended'. Assuming we don't start to see any quality control issues over the next few months I expect that these will become pretty much standard steel sparring equipment for our class and lots of other groups we know.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 31 Aug 2011 12:09

Seconded!
I bought one for a friend, Predrag bought three, each one of fine quality.
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Colin F. » 31 Aug 2011 16:08

Aye, sparred with mine a few times at FC, with Peter in one instance. They are very nice, hold up well to sparring and go where you point them. The flex and rounded edges make them nice and safe too.
SG6 - Bradford - Instructor

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby T Gallagher » 07 Sep 2011 14:00

I would just like to second (or is that fourth?) what Colin, Matt and Wolfgang have said. I handled and used one briefly at Fightcamp and it was awesome. I will be getting several in due course as finances permit.

Tim
Last edited by T Gallagher on 07 Sep 2011 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Thumbs up!
T Gallagher
Staff Sergeant

Postby Ivan » 07 Sep 2011 14:36

admin wrote:If I were to change his current feders at all the only thing I might change slightly would be to use slightly thicker steel stock (ie. thicker at the ricasso) to bring the total weight up a little.

Mine has a 5mm (0.2 in)thickness at the ricasso. That's the thickest ricasso I've seen sofar.
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Ivan
Corporal

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 08 Sep 2011 15:59

You may want to notice, that Peter seems to be still experimenting a lot - there are some differences between his various models I've seen/handled so far in DIjon and FC this year, like overall length, pommel-shape, blade flexibility/ricasso shape, grip finish etc.
This makes it a bit difficult to give a report, as there are variations.
But nevertheless NONE of those I had in my hands felt awkward, clumsy, unbalanced, wobbly, dead or whatever problem I had with other feder-models from other makers during the last couple of years.
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Ivan » 08 Sep 2011 16:22

Those are his newer, post-Dijon models, like mine.
The blade is thicker, has a safe punta, the weight has increased from 1.25>1.35kg, and there's the option for the smooth pear pommel. Also, the flares are a bit bigger, with more rounded tips, the guard is also thicker, and he has the new cord-wrap option. The swords come in any size, but mostly 120 and 130 cm, and he has made hook-less flares for some of the Slovak groups on request:
http://cl.ly/2e2d1Q1f1p1Z1w2Q252Q
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Ivan
Corporal

Postby admin » 14 Sep 2011 11:02

He has made more of those, and various different shapes of ricasso - we have quite a variety in our class now.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Hugh » 27 Sep 2011 19:39

Just recieved my Regenyei sword yesterday. Yay!! :-D

As someone mentioned above, Peter seems to be a nice guy. We had a good email dialogue when discussing what I wanted and how he could make it happen.
I got him to make me a sword for both drilling and displays. A sort of cross between an oakshott type XX longsword and a federschwert.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here are it's specs (using Schnazel's format from above)

Weight: haven't weighed it yet but i'd guess about 1500g
Point of Balance measured from cross: 7.5cm
Centre of percussion measured from cross: 55cm
Blade length 98cm
blade width at crossguard: 3.5cm
crossguard length: 25cm
grip without pommel: 25cm
pommel length: 5.5cm
Overall: 130cm

sharpness:
Blunt with rounded edges. 1.5 - 2mm thick at edge.
the grip:
Nicely finished simple spiral bound leather. Black
finish:
matt finish
handling:
very lively. Quick and well balanced.
flex:
nice and firm in the first two thirds of the blade. Nice bit of flex in the pointy end but not so much that it's at all whippy. Returns to true.
historical authenticity:
not much ;-) but I wasn't looking for an historical design. It's for entertainment shows and designed for my own tastes.

So... in answer to the thread title:
Overall, very positive, both the product and the service.
Once I've had a chance to put it through it's paces, I'll comment on it's durability.
"He who draws his sword on a prince throws away his scabbard."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Hugh
Staff Sergeant

Postby Hindmost » 21 Oct 2011 11:53

Some people in our group got these a couple of days ago

Excellent service, fast delivery and all produced as per exact specifications. Really fantastic. None of these are mine though so I am now green with envy.
Marcos Ariño
Hindmost
Sergeant

Postby Sven1 » 31 Oct 2011 21:33

Ok so far, but what about his single handed swords? Any input?
Sven1
Corporal

Postby Sven1 » 29 Nov 2011 20:52

does anybody now how long peter's waiting list is atm? seems he's rather busy since he replied to my mails yet...
Sven1
Corporal

Postby Michael S » 30 Nov 2011 03:12

Around October his waiting list was apparently December/January. When I asked in the middle of the month (November) his delivery time was apparently April.

Which is a waiting time that I'm perfectly happy with. As the old saying goes, 'Fast, Cheap or Good. Pick any two.'

I've been in regular email contact with him since I first contacted him and except for a tiny bit of a language difficulty everything seems to be going great. Hopefully I'll be able to post in this thread again soon, telling you how awesome his products are then.
Michael S

Postby swordflasher » 30 Nov 2011 13:12

Sven1 wrote:Ok so far, but what about his single handed swords? Any input?

I also am interested in reviews/ feedback/ pics of single handers
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 30 Nov 2011 21:27

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/magnusbilder050.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/573/magnusbilder047.jpg/

Just got these the other week.

Not sure if the images are up there properly or not.

Weight are
1.095kg and 1.050kg

Length's

Total length: 97,5-97,8 cm

Point of balance is 7,5-7,8cm from cross and 7,8-8cm out from the cross.

They are fast and responsive
the flex point in the top is 15-16cm down the blade, and returns true if flexed to the amount shown in the picture, without any problem.

I shall give you more info about how they hold up, as I use them.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Sven1 » 30 Nov 2011 22:23

thx a bunch, what's the price? how would you compare the flex from the middle down to the cross to that of, let's say the albion 133?
Sven1
Corporal

Postby Joeli » 30 Nov 2011 22:53

I had long talks with him about the current state of overall bad quality langes messers around, so he sent me two feder-like messers last month. Everyone who has played with them has immediately fallen in love thus far. Good quality no-nonsense finish, sturdily built, but with feder-like tip, these knives are beautiful. At around 85 cm and 900g they hit hard and thrust safely. Also they open champagne bottles like no tomorrow's hangover.

We also have twenty or so of his side swords, which are the standard equipment for Bolognese around here. They handle better than any other manufacturer's that I can think of. But when you can give the specifications for the sword by yourself, you get what you want. With that in mind, it might be worth asking around what kind of designs some well-known customers of his have asked. Some of those weapons handle in really interesting ways, or so I've been told. I always like a sword that when you pick it up for the first time, makes you think your chosen art from a new perspective.
Joeli
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Market & Reviews