Peter Regenyei Swords. Experiences?

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Peter Regenyei Swords. Experiences?

Postby Schnazel » 04 Jul 2011 18:28

Hello,
I got a question regarding the sword from peter regenyei.
Does someone have swords from him or has experience with his pieces?
I would like to hear some feedback on how his swords perform, especially his sharp XVIIIa-c blades.
Special interest would be:
-specifications (length, pob etc.)
-edge holding
-balancing
-price
-how do they perform compared to other manufactures like pavel moc, the hanwei tinker line or similar?

Thank you very much for your patience and help.
regards,
Marcel
Schnazel
Private

Re: Peter Regenyei Swords. Experiences?

Postby Kreivos » 04 Jul 2011 19:07

I haven't used any of his sharp blades, but I handled quite a few of his blunt ones and I have to say I've been very impressed with them. They handle great and the feders he makes are by far the best ones I've ever used. I have no reason to doubt that his sharp swords are any worse.

Cheers.

-Jukka
Kreivos
Recruit in training

Postby Joeli » 05 Jul 2011 02:23

Hi,

Peter is a nice chap, a full time blade smith and a part time hema instructor. He makes swords according to both historical examples and customer's specs. He speaks fluent Oakeashott, which a bonus. As he makes his swords by hand, comparing them to factory made ones is a bit futile. The swords are of any length and any weight similar to what the swords would be back in the day. Generally a longsword would be 1,4 kg and 120 cm long, but he will make it what you ask. The edges hold well, but he tends to make the blunts sharper than albion or moc, about 2 mm. But mention a different thickness and you shall get what you want. He does want to leave the blunt blades very narrow, about an inch, to better match the handling of a sharp sword. The heat treating is done to the precision of one degree celsius, so again you can just trust him to know what he is doing with the steel, or you can give different specifications. Of course every extra request costs extra. The point of balance is left generally pretty close to the hilt, around 4 cm, and Peter's swords often have a particular feel that comes from the way he distributes the weight around the point of balance. They are responsive, fast and hard hitting, just like Peter himself as a swordsman. As he teaches weekly classes as a founding member of the largest hema school in Hungary, he knows what an experienced fencers wants from a sword.

His prices are generally cheaper than from industrial manufacturers, but this can vary depending on what and how much you are ordering. I don't buy swords from other manufacturers anymore at the moment, even though I feel that his rapiers and langes messers need development. He is looking at ways for making better training weapons, so buying weapons from him is also funding that research and development.
Joeli
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Reinier » 05 Jul 2011 04:48

I am trying, but he hasn't reacted to the email I sent him a few days ago. I will try again in another few days though. :)
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby Andreas Engström » 05 Jul 2011 12:39

Reinier, you might do better contacting Krisztina Nagy instead. She's a bit more "online" than Péter. :-) She's handled most of my contact with Péter, either via Facebook or mail.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Harry » 05 Jul 2011 13:43

atm we have 6 pcs in use in ours beginners class and this is stress test pure! and they survive unharmed.

atm they are the best price/benefit ration on the market.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby admin » 05 Jul 2011 14:14

Andreas Engström wrote:Reinier, you might do better contacting Krisztina Nagy instead.

Yep, this. Krisztina runs a lot of that side of the business anyway and is very quick and efficient.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Schnazel » 05 Jul 2011 14:49

Hi,
thanks for that many answers. Can you name an average price for a plain longsword in the 120cm range from peter?
Ive already tried to contact him but also did not recieve an answer. Is there any other option I can make contact with him?
Thank you a lot!
Schnazel
Private

Postby Chiron » 05 Jul 2011 15:01

We have one of his feders and one of his longswords. They are well balanced of a good weight look nice perform well and so far have not shown any damage or marks of wear. The blades are nice and I agree with everything that has been said, all in all great swords good prices and craftsman well worth supporting. @ Admin do you know her Email address because our club has been in contact trying to put in a rather large order in time for a gig we've been hired to do in September and it seems like our Emails aren't getting through. He gave us a fax number and we'll try that but it would be good to get Krisztina Nagy's Email address.
nay king, nay quin we willnae be fooled again!
Terry pratchet, the wee free men:
Chiron
Lieutenant

Postby admin » 05 Jul 2011 16:11

PM sent.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Harry » 06 Jul 2011 09:05

Schnazel wrote:Hi,
thanks for that many answers. Can you name an average price for a plain longsword in the 120cm range from peter?
Ive already tried to contact him but also did not recieve an answer. Is there any other option I can make contact with him?
Thank you a lot!

it depends on the looks and so many details...

it is pending between 120 - 350 euros.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Schnazel » 06 Jul 2011 11:03

Hi,
thats all I wanted, thank you!
Schnazel
Private

Postby Ivan » 06 Jul 2011 18:59

I am waiting for a 129 cm feder, the new version, with a custom S-guard, pear pommel and leather grip.
It will cost me 180€. The basic model, with a ball pommel and bare wood grip is 150€.

I'll review it in a month or so, currently have a cast on my right hand.
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Stabbing People in the Face since 2008.®
Ivan
Corporal

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 06 Jul 2011 21:32

currently own a 130cm feder.
Pear shaped pommel

ballance is 3 fingers out from cross.
scrolled tipp, flexes like a rapier in the last 1/3 of the blade.
weight about 1.250g

thougts:
+
ballance is awesome trust Peter to do this for you. Safe as safe can be, flex is where you want it, when you want it.
edges holds up great. Scrolled point makes the thrust safer, and you can easily put a rubber tip on if you feel its not safe enough, and it stays there.

-
last 1/3 can on this example behave slightly like a rapier and get a small bend in it that needs returning, not often, but happens.
I prefer a slightly heavier feder, 1.400g is my sweet spot.

Price: €175 including shipping and modification of pearshaped pommel

++++after I talked to Péter about this, he made some changes to the last of the batch that the rest of our members ordered. And they came out heavier, and less sensitive to the tipp problem.
He also wrapped the handles with cord free of charge. And acording to the members I've spoken to, they are great. But maybe they can fill in their rewievs of their feders.

I'm getting another one.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Schnazel » 08 Jul 2011 22:16

Hi,
thank you all! I think I'am pretty much convinced. I think I'll order something like the durer (munnich sword) from him, if he likes to make me one.
Thank you all!
best wishes,
marcel
Schnazel
Private

Postby Ivan » 09 Jul 2011 00:54

He has one displayed on his business card :)
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Ivan
Corporal

Postby Lee S » 15 Jul 2011 17:54

I recently heard about his feders.

Lots of positive things have been said.

How are they by comparison to the albion Meyer. Has anyone here used both?

Our instructors here currently use the Albions, but I would love an more cost effective yet quality alternative for students coming in.

And the hanwei feders, although they are available, quality is not really the word i would use to describe them. I would honestly rather my students spend a bit more on something that will last, while at the same time supporting a member of the HEMA community.

Also, for those who have received them, how long are the wait times on his swords?

Cheers,
Lee S. Smith
Principal Instructor, Blood and Iron Martial Arts
http://www.bloodandiron.ca
Member: WMAC, HEMA Alliance.
Lee S
Recruit in training

Postby Ivan » 16 Jul 2011 12:30

I like it quite a bit more than the Meyer, for one, it has much better tip control. They are lighter too, 1.35kg for the 129cm sword, making them extremely fast as well. The tip is rolled, and flexes better than the Meyer which behaves much like a regular blunt with a Schilt. And the schilt traps the blade much better on Peter's.
Also, the edges are rounded.

Here are some new feder photos from Krisztina's facebook page:
http://cl.ly/0m0g0d1q0I1l0j273628
http://cl.ly/3S1w3o3M0x3z161J3D0N

The waiting times are almost non-existent so far, about a week time. Might change really soon, since the demand skyrocketed.
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Ivan
Corporal

Postby Schnazel » 23 Jul 2011 17:10

Hi,
I got in contact with peter thanky to Krisztina and have ordered a sharp example of his dürer sword, which is a copy of the munnich sword form the bayrisches national museum.
It is currently on the way to me and I'am pretty excited. Because he had it in stock, it was ready for me in about a week, but he said that a new one has a delivery time of about 3-4 weeks at the moment. If thats relevant for the federschwert as well, I dont know.
When the sword arrives and I find some time I'll give some stats and if you like, pictures as well.

Wish you all the best,
Marcel
Schnazel
Private

Postby Schnazel » 27 Jul 2011 16:59

Hi,
the sword arrived yesterday and I had some time to play around.
Please notice I'am no expert and dont own any "high priced" swords, only laid hand on some.

at first the stats:
Weigt Overall: a bit over 1300g
PoB measured from cross: 8cm
Blade length 920 mm
blade width cross: 33mm
cross length: 240mm
grip without pommel: 250mm
pommel length: 45mm
Overall: 123-124cm

sharpness:
Peter made the sword very sharp in the first third from tip. The edges are flat grind - secondary bevel.
The first few cm from cross are blunt. The tip of the blade was dull, eventuelly I should have mentioned that I want it pointy.
the grip:
The grip was good quality black leather which was ok (not as beautiful but practical). Under the leather theres a wooden core of good quality wood. The sword is peened (very solid).
finish:
The surface of the blade was quite matt finished, but I wanted to polish it myself. Peter does mirror polish for little money. So was the cross. The pommel ist quite rough and blackened, but that gives a nice contrast to the rest of the blade. Everything is tight and secure.
handling:
The sword handles very very well. Its extremely fast and accurate. Light and well balanced with very good tip control and nice blade presence. A joy to handle and the best handling sword I've used so far.
flex:
The sword flexes well in the upper third but stays stiff in the lower proportions for "winden" for example. It comes back true after bending. It stays straight when held with the flat blade parallel to the ground.
historical sword:
the sword is made after the sword in the bayrische nationalmuseum. The rough stats are very similar. The pommel looks also very similar, more than on the albion sword. I have no detail shots of the cross, so I cant tell the difference there. Since the original is highly decorated on the hilt, theres no reason to compare it here.

Peters blunt swords seem to be very sword like - like "real" sharp ones would behave.
I've not made any cutting tests so far.

Modifications:
I ripped of the black leather and sanded the wood a bit, than I wrapped flaxcord over it and applied some bone glue and put on a 1,5mm thick cognac coloured leather, wrapping it aggain with flax cord to get some texture to the leather. I polished the cross and grinded down the secondary bevel a bit (diamond file), then I put on a sub-mirror polish with sand paper. Just have to sand out some grind marks, yet.
I've filed the round tip, so that its a pointy one now.

Thats the result
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/schwert1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/schwert4.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/schwert2.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/schwert3i.jpg/

I'am very pleased with the sword and the price is very moderate. I think I'll let him do a blunt one for me some time.
If there are further question, don't be shy to ask.
Thank you!
Regards,
Marcel
Schnazel
Private

Next

Return to Market & Reviews