Forearm guards

Open to public view.

Re: Forearm guards

Postby Andreas Engström » 12 Jan 2012 08:51

admin wrote:I noticed recently that the company SPES (who make a couple of excellent HEMA jackets) were making their own version of the popular escrima-type forearm guards:

http://www.histfenc.com/productcart/for ... ctir-model

Now I see that they have brought out an even better version which protects the elbow as well! -

http://www.histfenc.com/productcart/for ... -protector

Now I have never received a hard hit on my elbow, but I really really wouldn't want to, so I think I'll definitely have to get myself a pair of these.

Yep, same here. I have tried the simple forearm guards and they were very good indeed. These seem even better.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Mearcstapa » 09 Mar 2013 01:18

I have the longer SPES Vectir with elbow guards:

I have tried wearing them both over and under the SPES Axel Pettersson jacket, but found that the elbow/tricep extension impedes arm movement to an unacceptable degree if worn inside the jacket, but that if worn outside it is for some reason impossible for me to get them tight/firm enough that they don't rattle about.

Furthermore - although this is only from having experimented with hitting myself in the arm with various swords/wasters whilst wearing them, rather than sparring - it seems to me that they do not protect the elbow properly. Whilst the tricep/upper-arm extension to the normal Vectir (below) is a good idea in principle, in reality it means that your forearm and the bottom part of your upper arm are nicely protected with padding and rigid plates; however, your elbow itself is only protected by the jacket beneath plus the fabric hinge that connects the forearm and upper arm plates.

In short, it does not give your elbow anything 'extra' as far as I can see.

'Normal' vectir:

I am seriously considering trimming off the 'extra' length and wearing a hard-cup skating elbow pad instead, which could I suspect be worn under the AP jacket without difficulty.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The only solution I can think of to the looseness issue is to have a non-elastic strap sewn on to tighten the guards properly.
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 09 Mar 2013 10:25

I think as with all protective clothing and 'off the shelf' equipment, it comes down to the same issue - everyone is slightly different proportions. What suits one person perfectly will be slightly wrong for another.

Personally I have these longer SPES guards and they work great for me (over the jacket, no way they would fit under!). The elbow portion is a bit 'flappy' and I have been hit on it when I would not have been hit at all if it was not there flapping in the wind - however they do provide me with elbow protection frontally, if not generally from the side or downwards. Ultimately I find these the best forearm guards available and I would list them as standard equipment for SG1, especially with steel weapons.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 10 Mar 2013 09:01

I also wear the longer Spes guard with elbow protection and considder them the best choise on the market.

They have a slight tendency to creep down the arm and hamper the wrist, but that's a minor issue.

If they rattle about, I would considder stiching them fast. Putting an elastic strapp to the "flapping elbow" might cure your problem, or just use welcro.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Mearcstapa » 13 Mar 2013 16:27

Magnus - excellent idea.

Admin - would you say they were better than escrima pads?
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 13 Mar 2013 16:59

Better than any I have ever used, yes.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Mearcstapa » 14 Mar 2013 15:20

Thanks.
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Postby Mearcstapa » 18 May 2013 18:30

I have now received in the post the Pro-Tec 'Drop-in' elbow pads I ordered from Blackleaf.com [http://www.blackleaf.com/Protec-Safety-Equipment-Pro-tec-Drop-In-Elbow-Pad-Black/blp10406.htm] for the princely sum of £31.45 (free P&P).

It took me bloody ages to find a set of elbow pads that definitely had a sleeve as well as straps - I recall from my teenage years that the nylon strap jobs are usually uncomfortable and ill-fitting - and these seem to be just the ticket. They come in the ubiquitous 'HEMA black' colour, and are a good fit. As a nice touch, the hard cups are replaceable, and attach by some pretty ferocious velcro - I think a solid blow with a weapon that caught them under the edge could take them off, so I would only recommend wearing them underneath something.

In a fit of productivity, I cut the extra flappy bit off my longer-model Spes Vectirs since it was now completely unnecessary, so they now end where the skate pads begin. Ideal! Interestingly, this also let me see 'inside' the Spes pads, which are layered as follows:
1. (Next to the skin) Cotton lining
2. About 5mm of reconsituted chopped-up fabric padding
3. Hard multi-layered plastic plate
4. Cotton lining
5. Durable synthetic fabric exterior

I found that wearing both under an AP jacket meant that it was impossible to bend the arms much more than 90 degrees. However, with the elbow pads under and the Vectirs over, there was not much difference in army mobility to just wearing the AP on its own, and hard protection coverage was practically the same as with the longer flappy Vectir guard. Wearing the Vectirs over the top isn't as smart (i.e. aesthetically pleasing) in my opinion, but it is more in line with 'principles' (if you can call them that) of protective layering - rigid over, padding under.

Have to go and do some tutoring now - pictures to follow later today!
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Previous

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews