Comparing different makers of swords

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Comparing different makers of swords

Postby admin » 14 Feb 2011 12:17

Yes, they are very nicely made swords and the new price is fair (they were too expensive formerly IMO). One is lighter than the other (I prefer the lighter one, it's more lively), but I can't remember which is which - best to phone Jim and the Grange and ask his opinion.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Hugh » 05 Apr 2011 01:49

anyone have any experience with Lutel?
Prices seem reasonable and apparently even ARMA recommend them...

http://www.lutel.eu/index.php?p=product ... me=WEAPONS
"He who draws his sword on a prince throws away his scabbard."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Hugh
Staff Sergeant

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 05 Apr 2011 09:30

Hugh wrote:anyone have any experience with Lutel?
Prices seem reasonable and apparently even ARMA recommend them...

http://www.lutel.eu/index.php?p=product ... me=WEAPONS
A couple of members (I guess about 4 or 5) from Zornhau ordered longwords with extended hilts a couple of years ago - and were rather disappointed. Very floppy blades, horrible steel quality, i.e. obviously no hardening at all, nicks and dents after minutes of use.
I don't know if the quality has increased, but none of us ever ordered something again from Lutel.
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby admin » 05 Apr 2011 09:43

I used to own a Lutel two-hander and I have played with a bunch of others. I wouldn't really recommend them; they have screw-on pommels, which is a pain in the ass as they keep unscrewing, and they are all rather heavy (though not massively so). Basically you can spend your money more effectively.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Keith P. Myers » 18 May 2011 23:40

Hugh wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Arms and Armour Fechtbuch and Fechterspiel swords?

I've been considering investing in a couple (the prices at the grange seem pretty good) and I'm wondering about their handling and durability.

I have one of each. The Fechtbuch sword was their original. I got one when they first started to produce them. They were designed to be very robust and to stand up to Steel on Steel bouting in armor. Over time they realized that few people were using them this way and would benefit from a little lighter design. So they came up with the Fechterspiel, which is the same sword as the Fechtbuch Sword, but the blade is a little thinner, there is more taper, and the schilt is "grooved." I liked by Fechtbuch sword, but this Fechterspiel is definately an improvement! It is lighter and more "lively" in the hands. I had an Albion Liechtanaur once as well, and I like the Fechterspiel better.

Keith
Keith P. Myers
Staff Sergeant

Postby Lidsman » 14 Jan 2016 11:33

I believe this to be a very important topic, especially if you are a beginner looking for your first sword. It deserves to be updated since this is a changing world. Are the previous judgements gospel or has there been some changes in quality?
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Market & Reviews