Early-15thC war sword by Mark Vickers (St.George Armoury)

Open to public view.

Early-15thC war sword by Mark Vickers (St.George Armoury)

Postby admin » 09 Aug 2006 12:40

I won't give you a huge blurb, other than to say I designed this sword based on a few historical English examples in art, from the end of the 14thC/beginning of the 15thC.
It is quite a hefty sword, as I wanted it - it weighs 4lbs and has a POB 5 inches in front of the cross, which is comparable with quite a few similarly sized examples in museums. The blade is 36 inches long and hollow-ground diamond-section, with a thick central spine which keeps the blade very rigid for thrusting and halfswording.
Sorry for the poor quality of the photos.. I need a better camera!

Mark Vickers of St.George Armoury did a great job, doing exactly what I asked and creating exactly what I wanted, with a bit of his judgement and fine-tuning thrown in.
It cuts like an absolute monster and makes a wicked ring when it exits a target, because of the central rib caused by the hollow-grind.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Paul » 09 Aug 2006 12:46

Very cool sword! 8)

How about some more stats?
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Fab » 09 Aug 2006 12:51

you don't need a better camera, just better light. Try taking pics of it outdoor, with an overcast weather/in the shade.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 09 Aug 2006 13:15

Yeah, outdoor light would be much better.

What stats do you want Paul?
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Paul » 09 Aug 2006 14:30

The usual...

Weight
Overall length
Blade length
Blade width
Grip length
Point of Balance
Center of Percussion

(I know you gave some of these already, this is just a standard list)
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Harry » 09 Aug 2006 15:42

well... price? :)

I am thinking about ordering a sword from peter johnsson.... but I am quite halting if i want to spent 4,000 euros for a sword.

but I used one of his two weeks ago... it was a marvelous craftsmanship and holding this artwork of a sword was an absolute pleasure. cutting through wood and strawmats was like cutting a slice of butter with a hot knife....

so i don't know what to do...
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Paul » 09 Aug 2006 15:46

Harry wrote:well... price? :)

I am thinking about ordering a sword from peter johnsson.... but I am quite halting if i want to spent 4,000 euros for a sword.

but I used one of his two weeks ago... it was a marvelous craftsmanship and holding this artwork of a sword was an absolute pleasure. cutting through wood and strawmats was like cutting a slice of butter with a hot knife....

so i don't know what to do...

I spoke with Peter Johnsson at the Messermachermesse in Solingen, just before Dijon. He had three swords with him. They were great, and in the price range of E3000 and up, so I just saved you a 1000 euro's :D.

However, he also told me that he doesn't have time for commissions anymore, and that the best way to get one of his swords would be to buy one in Solingen.
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Harry » 09 Aug 2006 16:03

oh he told me if I have 4 years to wait.... :)

the problem I want MY sword! not one of his own. MY length, MY character, MY idea....

buying one in solingen is like wanna have a designer suit and buying a "versace" suit at H&M. it is a versace, but made for two million people!

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Paul » 09 Aug 2006 16:12

Thanks Harry, I must have misunderstood him then. I agree re. the custom thing. If you're going to spend E4000 on a sword, it might as well be your idea.

I think he's also a great designer and researcher (perhaps the best one in the world at the moment) so it would be good to give him a lot of room.
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Alex » 09 Aug 2006 16:51

Go the Mark Vickers route Harry! £320 for a completely custom sword.
Alex
Major General

Postby Harry » 10 Aug 2006 09:52

yeah... vickers would be my absolute choice reg. price performance ratio.

Harry
Colonel

Postby SCA Archer » 10 Aug 2006 17:19

Fab wrote:you don't need a better camera, just better light. Try taking pics of it outdoor, with an overcast weather/in the shade.

You know, any average English day... :)
Mikey T.
sto pro vestra terra
inflecto pro vestra regina
supplex pro vestra uxor
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You have to be slow in a hurry." -- Wyatt Earp.
SCA Archer
Brigadier

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews