F.F.F.

Open to public view.

F.F.F.

Postby Fab » 08 Aug 2006 17:23

Four Friction Folders :

Two of them with oak wood handle, the others with box wood. All blades except the small one are 1075 steel, quenched in linseed oil (smells like fried fish when you quench - rotten fish, that is). I have other pics of their making, will probably post them later. Small one is from an old file, differentially quenched, though the hamon is not visible on the pic.

Grinding and finishing have been kept to the minimum in order to save costs - they'll go at about 35 euros each. One of them is already sold (allegedly)

More to come soon.

Fab
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Carlo » 08 Aug 2006 17:43

Beautiful. 8)

Cap
Carlo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby the_last_alive » 08 Aug 2006 18:01

they are gorgeous.

I've always wanted one of the old folding straight bladed razors.... and i can't find one anywhere. Not sure what this has to do with these but... hey.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 08 Aug 2006 18:07

Very nice work!
I especially like the idea of making a rather rare replica of a daily working tool instead of just another fancy eating knife/dagger etc.
You used your holidays quite efficient!
By the way, I'd be interested in buying one of the oakwood-handle. Any data about the length of blade, handle, overall?

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Paul » 08 Aug 2006 18:25

Beautiful stuff!

I would want one of them, if not for my shortage of money. :cry:
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 08 Aug 2006 18:29

Paul wrote:Beautiful stuff!

I would want one of them, if not for my shortage of money. :cry:
Oh, come on, Paul: you bought yourself that nice sword and discuss the pro's and con's of german or itallian plate armour and can't afford an knife????
But you have something left to eat, right :P
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Paul » 08 Aug 2006 18:32

If you read the armour thread carefully, I said "somewhere in a far-away future". :wink:

I can't spend money right now because Vladimir has yet another sword waiting for me... :shock:

And I have to go to the Bronze Sword Festival in September. 8)

However.... AARGH! Stop tempting me like that! :evil:
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 08 Aug 2006 18:37

Paul wrote:If you read the armour thread carefully, I said "somewhere in a far-away future". :wink:

I can't spend money right now because Vladimir has yet another sword waiting for me... :shock:

Okay, okay, your a obviously a total nerd :D
......and some of those nerds are all the skinny type.....no food at all.....saves you money for more swords....and armour.....and a knife :twisted: Oh by the way, you need something appropriate to wear under your armour. Period clothes can be quite expensive as well if you don't make them yourself.....you could sleep under a bridge to save some money :twisted:
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Alex » 08 Aug 2006 18:39

Awesome, I'd love one of those. Something you can carry around on the street without fear of legal repercussions.
Alex
Major General

Postby Paul » 08 Aug 2006 18:47

Wolfgang Ritter wrote:
Paul wrote:If you read the armour thread carefully, I said "somewhere in a far-away future". :wink:

Okay, okay, your a obviously a total nerd :D
......and some of those nerds are all the skinny type.....no food at all.....saves you money for more swords....and armour.....and a knife :twisted: Oh by the way, you need something appropriate to wear under your armour. Period clothes can be quite expensive as well if you don't make them yourself.....you could sleep under a bridge to save some money :twisted:

At least I'll have a padded jack to keep me warm, and a sword to keep the other homeless people away. :wink: :lol:
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 08 Aug 2006 23:40

Simply beautiful Fab. I saw one you'd made at Dijon and I was very impressed.

Check your mail ;)
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 09 Aug 2006 10:40

Awesome Fab! I think these are going to sell REAL fast! :D
I have created a forum called 'The Market', for people to advertise and sell stuff - feel free to use it as much as you like :).
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Harry » 09 Aug 2006 10:46

if one is still avaiable, I would like to have the left one on the last picture!!!

toooooo meeeeeeeeeeeee toooooooooooo me! knife no. 97!!!! :) :)
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Fab » 09 Aug 2006 12:18

Thanks guys :)

I'll let you know which ones are still available after Benj' has picked up those he ordered - in addition to his bali.

Though I have other things quite similar to finish also - I'll post the pics here obviously. At least two other friction folders (one with clay heat-treat and the other with differential heat treat), plus two other FF made from old files.

But as they don't take that long to make, I can take comissions :)

Simple knives (ie roughly ground blades, simple heat treat, oak or bow wood handle) are at 35 euros ; clay/diff HT, fancier handles will obviously be slightly more.

To give you an idea of their dimensions : the handle of the long oak wood one is 11,5 cm. Blade thickness is 3 mm max.

Thanks again guys - feels good reading you :)

Fab
Fab
Field Marshal

Return to Buying, Selling & Reviews