Fencing masks

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Fencing masks

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 18 Oct 2011 21:09

I've got a few on their way right now. Once I get them in my hands I'll give you a firm price.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 06 Dec 2011 15:14

Now available for £45 for a limited time only. Bib rated to 350N, FIA approved mesh. All black!

http://www.theweaponstore.co.uk/store/i ... ts_id=1477
Last edited by Cutlery Penguin on 06 Dec 2011 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Phil C » 06 Dec 2011 17:04

Cutlery Penguin wrote: FIA approved mesh.

Is that the same as the FIE?
My understanding is that to claim FIE approval they charge rather a lot of money to test each mask individually before giving it that certification, hence LP's rather high prices. Do you mean it is equivalent to their standard?

If not, who are the FIA and what are their standards?

All black!

I don't use black fencing protective kit. Does this mean I am not hardcore? ;-)
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby the_last_alive » 06 Dec 2011 18:23

Phil C wrote:
All black!

Yes, yes it does. :P Everyone knows black is the only colour to wear when fencing... :twisted:
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 06 Dec 2011 19:07

Phil C wrote:Is that the same as the FIE?
My understanding is that to claim FIE approval they charge rather a lot of money to test each mask individually before giving it that certification, hence LP's rather high prices. Do you mean it is equivalent to their standard?

If not, who are the FIA and what are their standards?

Sorry, posting from my phone and got autocorrected! FIE it is. The mesh is the same one used on the 1600N mask (looking to see if I can get a cheap enough price to warrant selling it) that is FIE certified and so whilst they do not technically certify the mesh on the significantly cheaper 350N mask they do on a different mask.

I'm afraid so, I suspect it is that French stuff that has caused it...
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby The Salmon Lord » 07 Dec 2011 13:16

There is more to a CEN2 standard mask than the mesh. It has to conform to other standards of construction as well, and of course be tested.
President Black Boar, Cupar Original, HC
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 07 Dec 2011 17:46

The Salmon Lord wrote:There is more to a CEN2 standard mask than the mesh. It has to conform to other standards of construction as well, and of course be tested.

Have I claimed that the mask is CEN2? I'm fairly sure I haven't. I certainly only tried to let people know that the mesh on this particular mask was twice as strong as it needed to be for the level of certification it has. As a number of people have specifically asked about the strength of the mesh I thought it might be relevant.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby admin » 23 Dec 2011 19:47

This full mask add-on looks very nice:
http://www.histfenc.com/productcart/int ... or-trinity

Expensive, but very nice.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby tabiris » 11 Oct 2012 10:10

we've decided to switch masks from Leon Paul, mostly because of the very poor velcro/suspension system. We found that it's much too easy to give someone a mesh imprint with a stab with a feder. My own mask actually went so far that the whole velcro-thingy was hanging only by the rivets, which made it worse. Sown back on the mesh, it's a bit better. The padding on the top of the head is thin and requires some sort of an undercap. A nice, good scheitelhau leaves my head ringing for a while, which i do not approve of. Generally, not very happy with the mask.

PBT masks are, in my opinion, better; we have 3 in our club now, and they have a much better suspension system from what we can tell, but again lack padding at the top of the head. A bit of foam and a needle solves the issue, or a good undercap, but again, less than ideal - especially since these are marketed as "HEMA masks". As such, i'd imagine they'd be fitted to us specifically.

Allstar seem to be the best of the bunch. Same suspension system as PBT, but with a lot more padding. We're ordering two to try out now (one's mine), so i'll give my impressions when I give it a whirl.

Cheers!
tabiris
Staff Sergeant

Postby Reinier » 11 Oct 2012 13:07

So far, I am equally happy with my PBT as I was with my Allstar.

I have not noticed the problem with getting hit on the head hard, but I try to avoid that from happening, generally.

R
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby El_Burro » 05 Jul 2013 13:37

I'm looking to buy my first mask and I'm considering either the Red Dragon Knightshop mask http://www.thehemashop.com/index.php/protection/head-protection/masks/red-dragon-fencing-mask.html or the Leon Paul Club Non Electric Sabre Mask http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Standard_Sabre_Masks.html
Most of the ones suggested on this thread are too expensive for me at the moment, so I'm wondering if these cheaper ones offer enough protection. If not I'll wait and save a bit longer and get something more suitable.
Both are rated at 350N and cost about the same. I take it they're okay for synthetic sparring, but are they suitable for steel? I'm certainly a long way from steel sparring but it'd be nice to not have to buy a new mask when and if it comes to it.
I'm leaning towards the Leon Paul mask because of the reputable brand name and being available in white, but the Red Dragon mask has the comforting "made for HEMA" tagline so I'm thinking it's more likely to protect my face? I remain undecided.
El_Burro
Corporal

Postby Ridbadalous » 05 Jul 2013 14:43

As another beginner on a budget I got the Leon Paul mask. In terms of customer service they were great - when I realised I'd ordered the wrong size (my own stupid fault) they were really cool and swapped the masks even though it had already been loaded onto the van for delivery. Can't comment on the KS one, but as for the LP - it's a good mask, fine for synthetic sparring IMO but I wouldn't want to comment on steel, there are far more knowledgeable people here who can tell you that. The only problem I had was accidentally pulling it off my head with the cross guard during sparring, but that's less about the mask and more about my (in)abilities as a fencer (I am clearly destined for greatness). Many laughs were had. Needless to say they were at my expense.
Rich

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best
Ridbadalous
Corporal

Postby KeithFarrell » 05 Jul 2013 15:40

One thing that I would suggest before you make any decisions would be to understand how a mask is made and what the ratings means: Construction of a Fencing Mask

Then, armed with this knowledge, you can decide whether a CEN level 1 mask is sufficient for your needs or whether you should save towards a CEN level 2 mask.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby El_Burro » 05 Jul 2013 16:48

Thank you Keith, I'll study that document carefully.
El_Burro
Corporal

Previous

Return to Market & Reviews