Fencing masks

Marketplace and reviews. Open to public view.

Re: Fencing masks

Postby Gil-Galadh » 19 May 2010 16:36

I recently acquired this one:
https://www.allstar.de/index.php?cPath=55&products_id=217908&option=com_oscommerce&osMod=product_info&Itemid=3&osCsid=5595dc553d9eadd25643ed0e563db24
It's my first fencing mask, but feels fine. It fits very well, and it's really comfortable. Breathing is fine, so is visibility.
Vicky Chudinova
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby scalawag » 28 Feb 2011 13:14

I was very happy with my Leon Paul club sabre mask but now having issues. The Velcro straps keep tearing off, rendering the padding next to useless. Leon Paul where extremely helpful though and offered to repair the mask but I asked them to send the parts in the post which they kindly obliged.
Anyways I don't think the mask is up to the job and now looking for something more substantial.
scalawag
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 28 Feb 2011 13:39

Out of interest Darren, which model of mask is this? I have had 3 Leon Paul masks over the years and they have varied a lot (currently using the black instructors mask, which is still going strong after about 6/7 years!). But I know some other models of Leon Paul masks have had quality/design issues.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby scalawag » 28 Feb 2011 14:16

admin wrote:Out of interest Darren, which model of mask is this? I have had 3 Leon Paul masks over the years and they have varied a lot (currently using the black instructors mask, which is still going strong after about 6/7 years!). But I know some other models of Leon Paul masks have had quality/design issues.

Sorry Matt didn't realise they have more than one 'Club Sabre' the one I have has club 350N stitched on the side.

http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Standa ... Masks.html
scalawag
Staff Sergeant

Postby Harry » 01 Mar 2011 08:31

350N is way to weak for a proper sparring mask.

I would highly recommend a 1600N mask.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Phil C » 01 Mar 2011 09:36

It depends on the maker- the "N" rating refers to the bib only, the mesh used is rated by "Kg".

Some brands use a lighter mesh in the 350N masks and a heavier in the 1600N masks, others use a heavier mesh in all their masks (whether 350N or 1600N).

So, if you are unsure then get a 1600N, but don't immediately dismiss a 350N.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby Reinier » 01 Mar 2011 10:09

I have a 1600N Allstar mask that I bought in 2005 or so, when I was still doing olympic fencing. It is getting old, and I am thinking of replacing it, and when I do, I will pay a bit more to again get an Allstar.

I have, so far, not been impressed with Leon Paul masks. The rivets used to attach the fabric or velcro parts to the mesh are really thin, and I have seen masks where they had torn off. Furthermore, the velcro used in the suspension system is much too weak, and I have given at least one training partner a good case of mesh-nose with a nice frontal hit, as the velcro just let go.
But that is just my experience with the LP masks.

R
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby admin » 01 Mar 2011 11:15

Exactly as Phil says, all Leon Paul sabre or three-weapon masks are okay for HEMA because they all use thick stainless steel mesh. I have noticed that the 'European' masks tend to have thinner wire used for the mesh, especially the Hungarian masks. The Leon Paul instructor's mask has especially strong mesh - mine had never taken a single dent in 7 years of sparring with all kind of weapon, wood, nylon or steel.

admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 01 Mar 2011 11:17

Reinier, I do not disagree. The rivets and other padding/strap attachments on the Leon Paul masks are their weekest part and need improving (one of my rivets popped out about 6 months ago, but the rest are still holding). However, in my opinion the LP masks have the strongest mesh of any I have seen.

admin
Emperor

Postby Michael S » 01 Mar 2011 15:34

I've had the same Leon-Paul fencing mask for the past five or six years now, for Olympic and historical fencing. It was a three-weapon mask, and structurally has stood up well (especially given the fact that I frequently squeeze the sides in to make it fit better).

But to echo the other posters, the breakages I've had have been with the fittings. The velcro tore off the rivets on the sides of the mask a few years ago. The simple solution I came up with was to sew it back on with a sail repair kit (I'll be honest, it would probably work with normal sewing materials, but it was all I had to hand). I passed the needle throughgh one 'half' of the velcro, through a hole in the mesh, back into the mask through the neighbouring hole, and then through the velcro again etc. I then dribbled superglue over it because I'm crap at needlework and didn't think that it would stay fast, and then quickly spraypainted it black.

But the 'plate' at the back of the head has cracked, and some of the remaining rivets on the inside now have an unfortunate habit of catching my hair when I take the mask off, ripping out a clump of it. On the other hand, the velcro itself is holding up okay - in my experience 'mesh-nose' (we nickname them 'blood-waffles'!) has been because of poorly adjusted fittings, rather than them giving way.

After that long, I'd say that structurally It's held up well. Unlike the fencing bag I was using to carry my kit. Turns out Leon Paul didn't design bags to carry three shinai, a mask, bucklers etc. The zip came off last year, but the lining on the inside was flaking off and some of the seams were breaking. In fact in home places the material itself was wearing out...
Michael S

Re:

Postby Andreas Engström » 01 Mar 2011 15:45

Neil Cardy wrote:
Nikos wrote:On another note, the more expensive mask with the X-change system, one of our members bought one recently and I have found the liner to be far less substantial and padded as the normal coaching mask, I would not recommend it, the A280C is much better.

I have used the A280CX (with the X-change system for the last 6 months or so and have been very pleased with it. The padding did seem lighter than my previous Leon Paul mask, but I have had no problems or concerns when using it in freeplay. I use the sabre cover that Iain mentioned which may help matters.

But overall comfortable good protection.

I'd like to second this. Have been using one (with the sabre cover) for about two years for steel and nylon longsword and steel sabre and am very happy with it. After using it, I find regular masks very constricting, like stuffing your head into a rolled-up mattress. The smaller amount of padding in the X-change mask is well placed and has so far served me just fine.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Harry » 01 Mar 2011 16:11

admin wrote:Exactly as Phil says, all Leon Paul sabre or three-weapon masks are okay for HEMA because they all use thick stainless steel mesh. I have noticed that the 'European' masks tend to have thinner wire used for the mesh, especially the Hungarian masks. The Leon Paul instructor's mask has especially strong mesh - mine had never taken a single dent in 7 years of sparring with all kind of weapon, wood, nylon or steel.

then leon paul change this since then... I bought mine in 2009 and mine is looking like the moon... full of craters. :)

but I still love my LP mask... together with the backhead from allstar it is still very comfortable to wear. not so the allstar masks
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby scalawag » 01 Mar 2011 17:21

Reinier wrote:I have, so far, not been impressed with Leon Paul masks. The rivets used to attach the fabric or velcro parts to the mesh are really thin, and I have seen masks where they had torn off. Furthermore, the velcro used in the suspension system is much too weak, and I have given at least one training partner a good case of mesh-nose with a nice frontal hit, as the velcro just let go.
But that is just my experience with the LP masks.
R

That's the exact problem I'm having, the velcro in the suspension system is too weak and the tabs are tearing off the mesh. Except I'm seeing stars as opposed to a bloody nose.
After chatting to colleges last night and reading post I am now a bit brassed off with LP.
I spoke to a woman in sales explaining the problem that the velcros have failed again. She said 'that was very odd and never heard of that happening before' I then asked which would be the sturdier mask to up grade to, which she replied ' there wasn't one'
scalawag
Staff Sergeant

Postby nathan » 10 Aug 2011 20:57

Has anyone used this yet?

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/ ... d6a30b6164

im looking to get a mask as is my training partner and for the price seems well worth it so has anyone used one?
Doyle Irish stick fighting Dublin
Blackthorn Fight School - http://tinyurl.com/kzlmvnp
nathan
Staff Sergeant

Postby scalawag » 17 Aug 2011 08:34

nathan wrote:Has anyone used this yet?

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/ ... d6a30b6164

im looking to get a mask as is my training partner and for the price seems well worth it so has anyone used one?

I was just looking at the red dragon mask a moment ago. Hopefully they will have stock at Fight camp this weekend.
scalawag
Staff Sergeant

Postby nathan » 17 Aug 2011 10:26

A review would be great especially as to how they hold up against steel etc.
Doyle Irish stick fighting Dublin
Blackthorn Fight School - http://tinyurl.com/kzlmvnp
nathan
Staff Sergeant

Postby Hindmost » 06 Sep 2011 10:19

I own the Leon Paul 'contour' coach mask and am extremely happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. Having said that one of the guys in the class showed up last Sunday with his new Allstar 'comfort plus' mask and having briefly tried it on I think it offers far superior inside padding IMO. I for example wear an arming cap under the LP mask, and I don't think I would need to wear that with the Allstar one.

https://www.allstar.de/index.php?cPath= ... fd240a46af

I haven't trained for any significant period of time with it, but I was instantly extremely impressed with how it fit. It felt immediately much safer against impact than my current one. Not judging the quality/durability of the mesh or the bib of course, just commenting on the awesomeness of the inside padding.
Marcos Ariño
Hindmost
Sergeant

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 06 Sep 2011 20:04

The Weapon Store will be retailing our own line of "Empire" mask soon. I'm working on a rear head protector to accompany it too.

Expected retail price will be about £40
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Dave B » 17 Oct 2011 15:42

Definitely interested, I may need to aquire a batch of masks soon. any idea what rating (both Mesh and Bib) they will be?
Dave B
Major

Postby The Salmon Lord » 18 Oct 2011 19:54

To add to Daves points. We are interested in any supplys of CEN2 masks for less that the current pricing we are seeing across the board.
President Black Boar, Cupar Original, HC
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to Market & Reviews