Got interested in Fiore...need help

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Got interested in Fiore...need help

Postby Gil-Galadh » 30 Sep 2008 11:32

Hi people. I've been registered here for quite a while,and finally I have decided to ask whats been bugging me from the begginign.

So... I'm from Bulgaria,and for quite a while i'm interested in historical fencing ... the italian way ;) I'm part of a historical reenactment group, and of course we try to practice some WMA, but most of the information we've got(books etc.) is about the German system - Ringeck, Tauhofer etc., and we have been trainign for some three years now, but I'm one of the few in the group that are interested in italian stuff.

What I'm asking is some guidance and wisdom, concerning how to get started on FIore, and how to become good in his system.. - on-line books,videos,etc. Note that we have kind of strange economical situation here,and it would be very difficult for me or some of the others to order some book via Amason or something, because they are a bit costy for my country,so i prefer on-line and free stuff if possible

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby scholadays » 30 Sep 2008 12:25

Well, for what it's worth, if you're looking for some drills on the topic then the SG-4 journal has within all the drills I presented to the Space Monkeys.

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=2337

However, I am perhaps one step removed from Fiore, so the Fioreness of the contents may very well be up for debate.
A lot of knowledge can also be a dangerous thing - in the right hands.
scholadays
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 30 Sep 2008 12:50

Welcome to the forum.
I'd recommend printing off the Exiles translations and image reproductions - then start following the instructions laid down by Fiore :).

http://www.the-exiles.org/FioreProject/Project.htm
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Gil-Galadh » 30 Sep 2008 17:25

So drinking from the spring will be best?
I have had the exiles translations for some time, but wasn't shure wether it will be good to jump straight at the manuals themselvs.

Thank you once again, for the help.
I guess I should also read whatever I find around here.
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Abomination » 30 Sep 2008 21:52

Alternatively, I'm sure you guys would be welcome at any of the international events if you were able to make it. I guess Dreynschlags one in Vienna would be nearest
The Abomination is dead. Long live the Abomination.

http://www.londonswordanddaggerclub.co.uk/
Abomination
Field Marshal

Postby Fab » 01 Oct 2008 01:44

Abomination wrote:Alternatively, I'm sure you guys would be welcome at any of the international events if you were able to make it. I guess Dreynschlags one in Vienna would be nearest

True that. Not that cheap, but close enough from you guys to make it worth it.

Of course, Dijon would be even better ;)
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Gil-Galadh » 01 Oct 2008 21:34

If not anything else, i think we might manage to come in Italy for the anniversary in 2010 :P
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Gil-Galadh » 29 Apr 2009 10:22

I Finally started training. Printed a copy of the Exile's Getty translation, read almost everything here and half of the SFI. I'm ordering "Swordman's companion" by Guy Windsor sometime next month.
After a couple of trainings I'm astonished. Fiore comes much more natural than the german stuff.

So we practiced some strike'n'cover,some footwork and the first two plays of the single-handed sword. I'm truyng to follow the example set by Scholadays in the topic about SG4 (this sounds like Stargate)...

And I have a question... On play one of the "Spada a una mano" (I decided to start with it first.) FIore is with his weight on the back foot and the maestro says "I accrease the foot that is forward a little out of the way and with the left I pass to the side". So does this mean that when you move to cover first you make a little step to the side with the front foot,and then pass, or does it mean that your front foot is a bit to the side in the posta itself? The first one seems more natural, and when I tried it on our usual RIngeck sparring, my partner looked really puzzled how the f**k was I so much to the side,and he so much dead (headshot)...
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby admin » 29 Apr 2009 11:32

Gil-Galadh wrote:I'm ordering "Swordman's companion" by Guy Windsor sometime next month.

Bear in mind that this presents a sort of generic 'Italian longsword' style, taking quite a bit from Marozzo, which is fairly different to Fiore.

Fiore comes much more natural than the german stuff.

That's because Fiore IS more natural. :D

So does this mean that when you move to cover first you make a little step to the side with the front foot,and then pass

In my opinion, yes. You move the front foot to the side as you cover, then pass as you thrust or cut back. You can move the front foot in both directions, depending on what the opponent does and on what you want to do.

admin
Emperor

Postby Petter Brodin » 29 Apr 2009 12:06

admin wrote:
Gil-Galadh wrote:I'm ordering "Swordman's companion" by Guy Windsor sometime next month.

Bear in mind that this presents a sort of generic 'Italian longsword' style, taking quite a bit from Marozzo, which is fairly different to Fiore.

It's been quite a while since I read 'The Swordsman's Compainion', but I don't remember any Marozzo in it. He has some Vadi stuff in it, though.

To the OP: When it comes to 'The Swordsman's Compainion' , you should take a look at the revisions.
Petter Brodin
Corporal

Postby Gil-Galadh » 29 Apr 2009 14:24

admin wrote:In my opinion, yes. You move the front foot to the side as you cover, then pass as you thrust or cut back. You can move the front foot in both directions, depending on what the opponent does and on what you want to do.

Then I am doing it right. I'm proud of myself...

About the books: I was separated between "Swordmans companion" and "Sword in two hands" by Brian Price, yet the reviews seemed to favor the first one, so thats how I made my decision

A big Thank you for the help
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Gil-Galadh » 15 Jul 2009 16:22

Yesterday a friend of mine gave me a Cd with different clips. Among the others downloaded from youtube, there was one named "Longsword and sword by Matt Easton based on Fiore dei Liberi".
Since I can think of only one Matt Easton that deals with Fiore, I would like to ask for some more information about this clip. It is around 40 minutes and it ends just after some group exercise. It apparently shows the basics of italian swordmanship.

My friend told me he got it from the p2p program E-Mule, but nothing more.
So could I get some information about it - Is it really Schola stuff. Is there any way I can order a complete version? Do you even know you could find it on the internet? Are the things shown up to date? Could I learn from it ( I suppose i could, since i already got it 8) )

Thanks in advance for the information.
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fab » 16 Jul 2009 00:50

Could you post stills of that vid please ?
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Fab » 16 Jul 2009 09:37

Cracow, June 2002.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 16 Jul 2009 09:54

Hi, I didn't know that had been recorded, let alone that it was available online. :lol:
As it is from 2002, my interpretation would have only been a year or two old at that point and the interpretation itself was quite immature at that point. I would have to see it to be sure, but I am guessing that the execution of the techniques is probably very similar but some of the basic principles will have changed. For example the way I make a gioco largo incrossada changed probably around 2003/04 and has stayed the same ever since.
But like I say, I'd have to see the vid, because I can't remember precisely how I was doing things in 2002.

admin
Emperor

Postby Gil-Galadh » 16 Jul 2009 10:19

Its around 700mb so i don't think I can upload it somewhere, or send it somehow. It might still be available on e-Mule, though
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Colin Richards » 08 Aug 2009 10:07

Hi Gil-Galadh

If you are starting out with Fiore or have done quite a bit I would recommend the following video just out:

Medieval Combat Italian Longsword Fiore dei Liberi

from

http://www.artsofmarsbooks.com

I know it is good because I did it......... :-)

Best regards

Col
Colin Richards
Founder, Head Instructor
Arts of Mars HEMA Academy,
HEMAC Member
Author: Fiore Dei Liberi 1409: Wrestling and Dagger (English and German)
Author: DVD Medieval Combat Italian Longsword from the Treatises of Fioire dei Liberi 1409
Colin Richards
Sergeant

Return to Fiore dei Liberi