Il Fior di battaglia by Massimo Malipiero

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Il Fior di battaglia by Massimo Malipiero

Postby admin » 13 Jun 2007 12:51

Il Fior di battaglia di Fiore dei Liberi da Cividale by Massimo Malipiero containing a colour copy of the Getty manuscript, as well as transcription and interpretive text in modern Italian.

http://www.getty.edu/bookstore/titles/battaglia.html
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Kim Young » 13 Jun 2007 13:39

I've bought two copies from this site:

http://www.hoepli.it/cercato.asp

Both arrived within a couple of days. After my first order I got a 15%-off evoucher for the second.

Kim
"sofft and ffayre ynogh!"
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Fab » 13 Jun 2007 22:06

Massimo Malipiero's critical edition of the manuscript argues that it was written by a weapons expert rather than a master of battle techniques.

Thoughts ?
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 13 Jun 2007 22:30

Well, to be frank, who gives a shit what he thinks? :) I'm buying it for the pictures. :lol:

admin
Emperor

Postby Brewerkel » 14 Jun 2007 16:07

admin wrote:Well, to be frank, who gives a shit what he thinks? :) I'm buying it for the pictures. :lol:

I've seen the book. The plates are small but colourful. I'd rather hold out for a hi-res colour scan, numerous people have them. Eventually the Getty will start selling them again.

As to the text, the chunks of Massimo's analysis that Aldo read to us are quite a bit out in left field. He has a statistical analysis of attacks that apparently concludes that thrusts are a minor part of the art. (if I recall the discussion correctly.) Maybe it was taken out of context but everyone found it pretty strange.

I have better uses for $45 USD +shipping. Like Cliff Rogers' new book...
Brewerkel
Brigadier

Postby Greg Mele » 25 Jul 2007 19:25

The interpretive section is pretty horrid, IMO, but is a small section, and a lot of the other analysis is pretty interesting (although the collect the Fiore faces chapter seems pretty weak to me). The lexicon concordance is interesting as well.

The images are nicely reproduced, although I don't understand why you go to the expense to publish in full color and then reduce the images to less than half the original size.
Greg Mele
Corporal

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 19 Jan 2008 22:57

He openly acknowledges his interpretation is based on John Waller's stage combat. Decent Bloke though, I hoisted a beer with him and the giant mustached bloke he always seems to have him in Denmark a few years back.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby David M. Cvet » 05 Aug 2008 17:51

I have purchased Max's book as well, and am fairly satisfied. Although his interpretations may not be compatible with mine or other interpretations in the Fiore community, I am impressed with the quality of the book overall and appreciate the extraordinary amount of resources, hours and energy it takes to produce such a publication, in particular, without the resources of the likes of "Paladin Press" behind the publication! As far as I'm concerned, it would be a useful addition to anyone's Liberi reference library.

I also found it interesting to note the documentary existence of Fiore found in some archives in Udine from 1383-1384, such as Fiore (if I read it correctly) placing an order in the armouries in Udine. My only disappointment with these little gems is that Massimo didn't transcribe the written text, as they are somewhat difficult to read in the images provided.

I had purchased my copy directly from Massimo's website at La Compagnia de'Malipiero.
David M. Cvet
Private

Postby Fab » 05 Aug 2008 20:09

I think the Udine reference was mentionned already by Zanutto or Novati (don't have my papers here).
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 06 Aug 2008 00:46

It's in Novati and Zanutto - the latter in footnotes though. I also mentioned it in my article for the Florence Arms and Armour Conference back in 2003/4 (or whenever that was).
Welcome to the forum Dave :D.

admin
Emperor

Postby Fab » 06 Aug 2008 01:41

admin wrote:It's in Novati and Zanutto - the latter in footnotes though. I also mentioned it in my article for the Florence Arms and Armour Conference back in 2003/4 (or whenever that was).
Welcome to the forum Dave :D.

2003. A most excellent article, I must say.

As always with these old publications (N & Z I mean), treasures lie in the end/footnotes.

And welcome Dave :)
Fab
Field Marshal

Return to Fiore dei Liberi