Scholar and Counter in the Getty

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Scholar and Counter in the Getty

Postby Mobius » 27 Jul 2015 15:58

Hello,
I would welcome insight into this aspect of the Getty MS.

The document shows a Master and a series of Scholars from that point. Occasionally we see Counters to those Scholars and Masters, but is there any specific reason we see some listed as Scholar and Counter together?

Semantically it would seem that the Scholar and Counter would be two separate items, such as the 12th Scholar of the Remedy Master of Abrazare on 8 Recto.

However, the plays of the 9th and 10th Scholar on 7 Verso adds the Counter in with the description. The 11th Scholar of the Abrazare reads as having a Scholar and Counter as one followed by a specific Counter.

My instinct suggests that all these would ideally all be explained separately but I also assume I am missing some further study. Can anyone recommend a direction for me to research or know some further insight?
By what measure canst thou know thyself if thou hast ne'er engaged in combat? - Tyler Durden
http://www.barebones-company.co.uk
Mobius
Private

Re: Scholar and Counter in the Getty

Postby Sean M » 31 Jul 2015 17:06

Are you familiar with Bob Charrette's book on how to use the technology of Fiore's manuscripts? His analysis of the organization of the Getty would be the place to start.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Scholar and Counter in the Getty

Postby Mobius » 01 Aug 2015 17:11

Thanks! I literally just found that on Amazon and found your reply by typing it in the search box :)

Good to get an immediate second opinion on of it fits the bill. It does sound like it. It's now on my Widh List.
Cheers.
By what measure canst thou know thyself if thou hast ne'er engaged in combat? - Tyler Durden
http://www.barebones-company.co.uk
Mobius
Private

Return to Fiore dei Liberi