ZOOM IN

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

ZOOM IN

Postby Brian Stokes » 25 Jan 2013 17:14

Hi All,

I visited Fiore dei Liberi yesterday at the Getty. Following that visit I was informed that there is now a ZOOM function on the website. Simply go to http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/art ... rtobj=1706 and click the "Zoom in" button found at the lower left corner of any of the pictures.

Should help in research!

Ciao,

Brian Stokes
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Re: ZOOM IN

Postby Michael Chidester » 26 Jan 2013 00:59

It's been there for several months at least. Were people not aware of this?
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Brian Stokes » 26 Jan 2013 06:32

Apparently not
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Postby Michael Chidester » 26 Jan 2013 17:37

They're the most awesomely high-resolution Fiore scans in existence is what they are. Twice the resolution of the scans on Google Art Project, Wikimedia Commons, or the ones that they used to sell several years back. I wish there was a way to download them.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby CPenney » 27 Jan 2013 01:37

Interesting - I clicked on the link and the first image was from the first remedy of dagger (Folio 12v, lower right). There is an anomaly on the parchment over the scholars hear and extending up towards the dagger. I wonder if it's a correction - as if the artist first drew the Scholars right arm extending up to the dagger as well as the left.

Brian, I believe you've seen the manuscript yourself, and spoken with people at the Getty - have they observed any evidence of corrections being made to the book?
Chris Penney
Ottawa Medieval Sword Guild
CPenney
Staff Sergeant

Postby CPenney » 27 Jan 2013 19:56

Just looking over the first part of the MS (wrestling and some dagger) there are definitely corrections made to the images - both seemingly to correct inaccuracies in terms of the information as well as making the images look good. The player of the remedy Master of wrestling appears to have had a crown rubbed off of his head, whereas the Master of the same play seems to have had the crown made a little smaller on his head, which would have been done purely for aesthetics.

I would be very interested if there appear to be any words corrected - in other medieval manuscripts a scribe might put a line through a word and insert the correction above, but this does not appear to have been done here. In the case of the Getty, there are at least three possibilities - there were no mistakes made, there were mistakes made that had been subsequently rubbed out and corrected, or there might be mistakes simply left in the text, so as not to mar the aesthetics.
Chris Penney
CPenney
Staff Sergeant

Postby Michael Chidester » 27 Jan 2013 20:03

Did you by chance transcribe the faded blackletter text on 50r? I can't quite make it out on the microfilm, and that leaf never appears in the digital scans.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Brian Stokes » 29 Jan 2013 19:30

Michael,

I will probably be viewing the manucript next Monday so I will look at 50V.

Chris,

As to corrections - they exist all through the manuscript. Many are simply not noticable on the hi-res. I have noted, however, many corrections when the page is turned such that the light (usually sunlight) hits the page in a particular way. Scraping and redrawing is very apparent, such as the hand on the 2nd Remedy Master of the dagger, the crown over the Master of abrazare, and others.

Cheers,

Brian
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Postby CPenney » 02 Feb 2013 14:54

Thanks for that, Brian! By any chance have you seen corrections in the text? Considering that the different Fiore manuscripts have some variations between them, I think it would be interesting to see where there might have been corrections/changes made to the text.

Michael:

What does this text look like? Does it appear to follow the shape of the text blocks that are delineated by the general layout of the manuscript? It could simply be a re-used leaf - that happened all the time back in the day.
Chris Penney
CPenney
Staff Sergeant

Postby Michael Chidester » 02 Feb 2013 16:53

CPenney wrote:Michael:

What does this text look like? Does it appear to follow the shape of the text blocks that are delineated by the general layout of the manuscript? It could simply be a re-used leaf - that happened all the time back in the day.

Rather like this: http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/File:MS_Ludwig_XV_13_50r.jpg

I doubt it's related to Fiore himself, but I wonder if it could help us further piece together the history of the ms.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby CPenney » 03 Feb 2013 00:13

Col thanks! I'd definitely like to see a transcription of this, even if it's to confirm that it has no relevance to the rest of the text.
Chris Penney
CPenney
Staff Sergeant

Return to Fiore dei Liberi