Quote from the PD prologue.

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Quote from the PD prologue.

Postby Bulot » 20 Nov 2012 23:08

As some of you may know, I'm currently translating Fiore in French (there has been an obvious lack of translation in our beautiful language for far too long). In the process, I'm doing quite a bit of background research, mostly based on literature review from various Fiore researchers.

In the prologue of the PD :
Florius wrote:Quapropter ab hoc precioso archano censeo reppellendos et per opositum ad ipsum comitandos reges duces principes et barones, ceteros denique curiales et alios habiles in duello iuxta illud: " Imperatoriam mayestatem non sollum armis decoratam „ etc.

"Which is why I recommend to keep them (the rurales) away from these arcanes, and to the contrary, invite kings, dukes, princes and barons, courtiers and others skilled in duelling, as the saying goes " Imperatoriam mayestatem non sollum armis decoratam „ etc.

The complete quote comes from Justinian's Institutes and is :
"Imperatoriam majestatem non solum armis decoratam, sed etiam legibus oportet esse armatam." which means "The Imperial majesty is not only decorated by arms, but must also be defended by the Law".

This reminds me a lot of XIVth century "Chevaliers es lois", who were knighted for their knowledge of jurisprudence (the science of law), and especially roman law.

I don't think this information was mentioned online before, and thought it was worth sharing, sorry if it is already common knowledge. :)
Bulot
Captain

Re: Quote from the PD prologue.

Postby Sean M » 21 Nov 2012 02:00

I recognized it in Vadi because he cites his source. I need to ask an intellectual historian where that passage fit into late 14th century Italian culture. I had not heard of these chevaliers es lois!
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Ariella Elema » 21 Nov 2012 06:14

I caught the quote from Justinian when I translated that passage sometime in 2006, but I don't think I've mentioned it online.

Some other things to note when translating that prologue are Matt Galas' idea that Iohannes Suueno may have hailed from the town of Suveno near Bergamo, and not Swabia, and Fab's identification of the diocesis mexinensis as Messina.
Ariella
Ariella Elema
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Michael Chidester » 21 Nov 2012 15:43

On the other hand, it may be significant that the first page of the ONB Cod.5278 (1428), which contains thirty folia of "Fiore-esque" fencing plays, mentions a "magister nicholay de eiwenstock". Eibenstock is about 60 miles from Döbeln, Germany, and both are part of the ancient Diocese of Meißen. (Meißen is also closer to Premariacco than Messina is, despite the fact that they belong to different nations in modern Europe.)

Which goes to show that speculative geography can only take us so far.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Bulot » 21 Nov 2012 16:09

Some other things to note when translating that prologue are Matt Galas' idea that Iohannes Suueno may have hailed from the town of Suveno near Bergamo, and not Swabia, and Fab's identification of the diocesis mexinensis as Messina.

Yes, it's part of the background check.
Plus, a XIIIth century necrology manuscript says some Iohannes de Columna to be "archiepiscopus Mexinensis". Matt Gallas researched Iohannes de Columna, and he was archbishop of Messina.

Related
Bulot
Captain

Postby Michael Chidester » 21 Nov 2012 16:35

Is there a "Toblem" near Messina?
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Bulot » 21 Nov 2012 18:47

Not that I know of. (and I took a good look at XVIth century Sicily maps).
But neither have I found a mention of Döbeln written "Toblem" or anything closer (nor any other European city for that matter). Maybe Toblem was a surname, it has been suggested it may be a jewish one.
Bulot
Captain

Postby admin » 23 Jan 2013 12:12

Fascinating stuff! :D.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Return to Fiore dei Liberi