Practicalities

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Practicalities

Postby Dan » 17 Oct 2012 15:48

Hey guys.

Probably a stupid question, but I'm working from the book without a teacher hopefully someone can answer my question here.

Some of the techniques from the book seem to stem from blade lock, which our sparring is seeming to show, doesnt happen very often.

I'm wondering if the techniques Fiore describes are commonly used fight moves, or just a way to break a lock advantageously on the odd occasion it does come to that?

A few of the plays, as well as the guards and basic strikes seem to work intuitively, but others are giving difficulty.
Dan
Cadet

Re: Practicalities

Postby Batfink » 17 Oct 2012 18:53

Hi Dan,

Can you just clarify what you mean by blade lock? Do you mean a situation where the two blades are in contact? Or a lock in the sense of grabbing and locking up the weapon in close?

Can you point specifically to a couple of techniques that are causing you problems and why?

That'll probably help people to answer usefully.
The Iron Door Collective

Your meticulously researched 15th century longsword techniques cannot harm me- my wings are like a SHIELD OF STEEL!
Batfink
Staff Sergeant

Re: Practicalities

Postby John H » 17 Oct 2012 21:20

It would be good to get some specifics, but some general ideas and my philosophy.

Plays/Drills are a specific action in response to specific stimuli. If you are not given that exact action you cannot do the exact play against it. Thus for the first side if they misinterpreted what attack to give you, you may not be practicing it right. If they try to ‘win’ the drill by compensating for your next action then you cannot get the action right.

Next it’s very hard to pull any of this stuff off against someone who is also drilled in it. They know the action you will most likely take and probably figured a counter to it. They will usually not get into that situation or are well prepared to counter. If your practice partner won’t let you get the drill in sparring it’s because you did it to him too many times already and he’s not interested in doing it again.

From the way I look at fighting, the first fight takes place at the longest distance and all subsequent actions take place as you get closer. You have out of distance, distance to hit with the last 6 inches of the blade, sword in contact and binding distance, grappling distance. Statistically most fights are over in cutting distance, those that do not end in cutting distance will generally end in binding distance, those that do not end in either cutting or binding can actually get into grappling distance. To me this means the chances that if will actually get into distance to use many of fiore’s close in plays is very rare. I do need to be prepared with them when it happens but I will still be trying to end the fightin in cutting distance.
John H
Lieutenant

Return to Fiore dei Liberi