Fiore dagger disarm with a sharp edged dagger

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Fiore dagger disarm with a sharp edged dagger

Postby HuubB » 22 Sep 2009 17:01

Though I still prefer the German style of medieval weaponsfighting I am not too silly and my curious nature makes me try techniques and concepts of other styles.

I therefore practiced a number of dagger disarms from the Fiore manuscript, and one of these is a peculiar one.
The one where you basically grab the blade and with a circular twist lever it out of opponents hand.

Grabbing the blade of a dagger is normally not something one would think of, so I first tried with a blunt and it went well. But then I also wanted to try with a sharp blade, just to see how and if it works.

This was, by the way, inspired by the guys from Hammaborg demonstrating disarms with sharp sword and a buckler. (with blade grab--lovely demo by the way!).

Motivated by that and by the will to be sure if it works I tried the dagger disarm with a sharp blade and...it worked!
No blood, no cut, no wound in my hand. It simply worked, also when the opponent is holding the blade firmly in his hand, it still worked.

just lovely ! :D

Bert Bruijnen
Wars begin where you will, but do not end where you please
(Machiavelli)
HuubB
Staff Sergeant

Postby Brewerkel » 22 Sep 2009 17:29

Glad you approve! 8)
Brewerkel
Brigadier

Re: Fiore dagger disarm with a sharp edged dagger

Postby hafoc » 05 Nov 2009 01:09

HuubB wrote:Though I still prefer the German style of medieval weaponsfighting I am not too silly and my curious nature makes me try techniques and concepts of other styles.

I therefore practiced a number of dagger disarms from the Fiore manuscript, and one of these is a peculiar one.
The one where you basically grab the blade and with a circular twist lever it out of opponents hand.

Grabbing the blade of a dagger is normally not something one would think of, so I first tried with a blunt and it went well. But then I also wanted to try with a sharp blade, just to see how and if it works.

This was, by the way, inspired by the guys from Hammaborg demonstrating disarms with sharp sword and a buckler. (with blade grab--lovely demo by the way!).

Motivated by that and by the will to be sure if it works I tried the dagger disarm with a sharp blade and...it worked!
No blood, no cut, no wound in my hand. It simply worked, also when the opponent is holding the blade firmly in his hand, it still worked.

just lovely ! :D

Bert Bruijnen

We have done this also. It's so counter intuitive that many people refuse to believe it can be done. But it can.

Personally, I think the Fiore disarms are among the most important concepts in dagger/knife defense.
hafoc
Staff Sergeant

Postby J Marwood » 05 Nov 2009 08:24

I've done a similar demo when doing knife work. I show my Spydie is sharp enough to take hairs off my arm, and then grip the blade tightly. So long as there is no sliding of the blade, there's no cut.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Colin Richards » 31 Dec 2009 10:48

Hi James,

A friend and student of mine who is a very high level Balintawak instructor in Germany attended a seminar which was only done with sharp knives. He pointed out that the attention of the participants went up several notches and everyone went very slowly.

I intend to run a Fiore dagger seminar with sharps sometime in the next year or so, so I will keep you informed.

One of my senior students found a nice gripping trick to increase the disarm potential, I will have to show it you in Feb when I come over.

Col
Colin Richards
Founder, Head Instructor
Arts of Mars HEMA Academy,
HEMAC Member
Author: Fiore Dei Liberi 1409: Wrestling and Dagger (English and German)
Author: DVD Medieval Combat Italian Longsword from the Treatises of Fioire dei Liberi 1409
Colin Richards
Sergeant

Postby Phil C » 31 Dec 2009 11:26

A mate of mine was mugged decades ago and did this move by pure acccident- still has the knife on his desk as the fellow didn't hang around to ask for it back.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Return to Fiore dei Liberi