Page 1 of 1

Digital Images of the Morgan!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 01:28
by Michael Chidester
Greetings, Scholars! I bring good tidings of great joy. Full scans of the Morgan are currently available on the Princeton Index of Christian Art:

http://ica.princeton.edu/

Note that they are very much behind a paywall (to the tune of $1000), so your best bet is to find a university whose library subscribes to the Index and log in from there. Once you're in, just do a search for "M.383", and you'll start seeing the scans on the third page of results.

It consists of mediocre-quality full-page scans followed by higher-res detail scans of each image. These are the same scans that have been quietly circulating for the last year or so, so if you already have that you should probably save yourself the hours of tedious mousework it will take to download them all--each image is buried two or three links from the search page, and there's no easier way to navigate between them. Still, it's a beautiful book and worth every second it takes to collect.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 09:46
by Reinier
Using the "Copy image location" option, and then pasting the location in your browser and editing it to access the different images (should be clear how to do that) might save some back-and-forth clicking.

( http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan/m383.019ra.jpg )

R

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 09:59
by Paul B
it could be fusked...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 15:39
by Michael Chidester
Reinier wrote:Using the "Copy image location" option, and then pasting the location in your browser and editing it to access the different images (should be clear how to do that) might save some back-and-forth clicking.

( http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan/m383.019ra.jpg )

R

So the database is secure, but the images themselves are not. Interesting--and good news for everyone who doesn't attend or work at a university.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 16:17
by Petter Brodin
The folder contains almost 69 000 images. I wonder what the rest of those manuscripts are.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 16:30
by Reinier
I can't say if the images are secure; I am at a uni :twisted:

I gave the link mainly to assist in rapid retrieval, and I did hope that the images would not be secure, but I could not test that.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 16:41
by Reinier
For as long as it lasts, the above link will apparently work to download the images from anywhere! I had a friend of mine try and he could access it normally from home.

Hasten hasten all! :twisted:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 17:02
by Michael Chidester
Petter Brodin wrote:The folder contains almost 69 000 images. I wonder what the rest of those manuscripts are.

The Morgan's entire library of Medieval and Renaissance manuscripts. Possibly other elements of the PICA's library as well. I haven't found any other fighting manuals (yet), though.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 17:05
by Petter Brodin
So Princeton has a copy of the entire Morgan collection? If anyone's interested, the folder above /morgan is open as well, which means that all the images on ica.princeton.edu are available to everyone.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 21:16
by Gil-Galadh
Reinier wrote:For as long as it lasts, the above link will apparently work to download the images from anywhere! I had a friend of mine try and he could access it normally from home.

Hasten hasten all! :twisted:

I also accessed it from home. No problem.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 02:41
by JimC
Scratch all that

wget http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan_images.tgz

---

To save some work for any of you linux ppl.

Code: Select all
$ wget http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan
$ sed "s/<li><a href=\"//" index.html > 1.txt

open 1.txt up in a text editor and delete the first 6-7 html lines
Code: Select all
$ sed "s/\">.*$//" 1.txt > 2.txt
$ wget -N --read-timeout=15 -B http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan/ -i 2.txt

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 07:30
by Petter Brodin
Does that file really contain all the images? From what I've seen until now (after downloading a couple of thousands of images, the images are about 230 kB each, which comes down to around 15-16 GB. The tgz-file is only a bit over 8 GB. Can it really compress jpg files that much?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 14:55
by Joeli
JimC wrote:Scratch all that

wget http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan_images.tgz

---

To save some work for any of you linux ppl.

Code: Select all
$ wget http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan
$ sed "s/<li><a href="//" index.html > 1.txt

open 1.txt up in a text editor and delete the first 6-7 html lines
Code: Select all
$ sed "s/">.*$//" 1.txt > 2.txt
$ wget -N --read-timeout=15 -B http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan/ -i 2.txt



Sweet! Thanks, I'll be downloading all that to my computer at uni.
For those linux users that don't want the whole thing, I'd suggest changing the last sed commant to:
Code: Select all
 sed -e "s/">.*$//" -e '/^m383/!d' 1.txt > 2.txt


That way you only download the files beginning with m383, thus from the Fior di Battaglia. :) I wonder if the people at Princeton get a lead that the HEMA community is hoarding their images by the terabyte.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 15:03
by Michael Chidester
Is that tarball the whole Morgan archive, then? The 164 images from the manual itself are only about 50 MB (uncompressed).

I'm planning to build a direct link index of the Morgan files for non-linux users at some point in the next week or so. (Also one for the Florius images, since those are a hassle to get to as well.)

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 15:12
by Reinier
Don't you mean 159? Else I'm missing 5 images...

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009 15:17
by Michael Chidester
Oops, yeah, bad math. 35 page scans and 124 detail scans.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009 18:21
by Michael Chidester
I tried to access these images directly again (without going through the paywall) and they don't seem to be working now. Can anyone else confirm or deny? Sample link:

http://ica.princeton.edu/images/morgan/m383.013v.jpg

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009 18:32
by Motley
it is timing out for me at the moment

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009 22:26
by Petter Brodin
Works for me.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009 21:28
by Sean M
The link still works for me. Thanks to Michael for posting this.