Florius again

Fiore dei Liberi and his treatises Fior di Battaglia/Flos Duellatorum c.1410.
Open to public view.

Florius again

Postby Motley » 03 Jun 2009 17:14

so I didn't realise that anybody had this

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=96031
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Brewerkel » 03 Jun 2009 20:50

Money is an effective tool to prise valuable information from the megalithic institutions that hold it. Lots of money. :roll:
Brewerkel
Brigadier

Postby Fab » 04 Jun 2009 03:04

Oh well. I, for one, touched this manuscript. With my bare hands. For what it's worth.

Now each and every one of you are bound to pay me a beer or five whenever we meet.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Motley » 04 Jun 2009 03:09

Fab wrote:Oh well. I, for one, touched this manuscript. With my bare hands. For what it's worth.

Now each and every one of you are bound to pay me a beer or five whenever we meet.

surley you should have been wearing gloves! :shock: the horror! ;-)

and you still havn't told us poor unfortunate souls who didn't make it to Dijon what it was like! If you do you can count on a beer from me should I ever have the good fortune to meet you!*

*My worry is that you will have got old and bored of running Dijon by the time I can afford to make it. The irony of moving to the other side of the world.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Fab » 04 Jun 2009 03:15

That's your problem matey.

But honesltyt hings lok good for the HEMA community at large - not the anal retentive part of us, though they may have friends.

Time...Time is what we need.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Brewerkel » 04 Jun 2009 15:12

Fab wrote:Oh well. I, for one, touched this manuscript. With my bare hands. For what it's worth.

I'd buy you a beer just because you are fun to talk to. I'd brew you a keg of beer if you get me a hi-res copy of that MS!!! 8)
Brewerkel
Brigadier

Postby Motley » 04 Jun 2009 15:58

Brewerkel wrote:

I'd buy you a beer just because you are fun to talk to. I'd brew you a keg of beer if you get me a hi-res copy of that MS!!! 8)

It is *very* good beer...
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Yes It Does

Postby Brian Stokes » 05 Jun 2009 22:00

Hi All,

Yup, I did pay for a high-res copy of Florius and have a high-res copy of the Getty, the latter of which I have been lucky enough to have paged through, with gloves. (Fab, I do envy you as the colours on the original Florius must have been amazing.) I am putting on this web presentation so that those who have never seen the Getty or Florius up close can do so. There are many other titles in my e-library gathering dust that over time I will do the same with. Just want to let those who have not seen them enjoy them and learn from them.

Heck, it's free to see. For those interested I can add a few more invitees to the list. Drop me a note at brian@scholasanmarco.org. Starts 5:00pm GMT.

Cheers to all,

Brian
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Postby Dai D » 07 Jun 2009 11:03

Kim, Barry and myself logged in yesterday evening. We really enjoyed it, looking at the MS is so much detail was a revelation. Brian really knows his stuff as well. Our interpretations didnt always follow the same path, but thats what its all about :-). Bloody shame our microphone didnt work .
Milk two sugars please

Venire a visitare se si pensa che sono abbastanza difficile
Dai D
Major

Postby Andreas Engström » 07 Jun 2009 19:19

Dai D wrote:Kim, Barry and myself logged in yesterday evening. We really enjoyed it, looking at the MS is so much detail was a revelation. Brian really knows his stuff as well. Our interpretations didnt always follow the same path, but thats what its all about :-). Bloody shame our microphone didnt work .

I hope the event was recorded and will be made available?

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Motley » 07 Jun 2009 20:19

Dai D wrote:Kim, Barry and myself logged in yesterday evening. We really enjoyed it, looking at the MS is so much detail was a revelation. Brian really knows his stuff as well. Our interpretations didnt always follow the same path, but thats what its all about :-). Bloody shame our microphone didnt work .

I was in there too. (Hello Dai et al.) I agree with everything that was said above, apart from it being lunch time for me ;-) It really is a nice looking manuscript, some of my current theories* are now under revision.

Unfortunately I don't think that there was a recording made, there was enough trouble getting the system working at the start. However, Brian seems very approachable so if there are enough people interested it may be worth contacting him. I was actually very surprised that there were so few people online.

* my theories = random thoughts I probably first heard from any number of other people or invented in my head ;-)
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Another Soon ..

Postby Brian Stokes » 09 Jun 2009 22:30

Hi All,

I very much enjoyed sharing Florius and Getty last weekend. Technical issues aside I thought it flowed fairly well. I also myself learned a great deal from it (sometimes you learn far more in sharing information than hording it. I find out as much from teaching as from being taught.) I note particularly that Dan noticed that in one play the Scholar was holding to the Player's crossguard, a movement which I had completely overlooked.

As to taping the event, I fear I cannot as I am using high-res copies of multiple manuscripts and I believe that would be in violation of multiple copy right laws.

That said, I will be offering another webinar very soon. I have been very busy combining all four manuscripts onto a powerpoint presentation which I can use on the web, divided into their specific art (abrazare, one-handed sword, dagger, two-handed sword, etc.). Would everyone prefer a review of Florius alone or by way of a powerpoint presentation comparing each manuscript to every other manuscript?

Cordiali Saluti,

Brian Stokes
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Another showing

Postby Brian Stokes » 23 Jun 2009 05:05

Hi all,

I am going to offer an online webinar on the abrazare of Fiore, comparing the actions in all of the manuscripts. I started the last one (not taking into account the tech problems that I had cleared up the night before - ahhh, yeah) at 9:00am PST time on a Saturday. Does that work for everyone?

Brian Stokes
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Postby Dai D » 23 Jun 2009 20:37

I'll be offshore, but I'll make sure Barry and Kim are aware
Milk two sugars please

Venire a visitare se si pensa che sono abbastanza difficile
Dai D
Major

Postby Neil Cardy » 24 Jun 2009 09:10

Which Saturday Brian?
Aberdeen Swordsmanship Group

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about. -- John von Neumann

Ony een
Ony faur
Ony time

Swordsmanship gifts
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/NeilatTLA*
Neil Cardy
Major General

Abrazare Webinar, July 18, 2009

Postby Brian Stokes » 08 Jul 2009 21:41

For those interested a webinar viewing three Fiore manuscripts* will be offered, starting at 9:00am Pacific Coast Time, July 18th, 2009. This webinar is being hosted by The Schola San Marco(tm) of San Diego and the WMAC. There will be 10 slots available as we have a limit of 20 and ten slots are spoken for. (I use DimDim for the webinar.)

Cordiali Saluti,

Brian Stokes
Headmaster, The Schola San Marco(tm)
brian@scholasanmarco.org

*Getty, Florius, and Novati. I specifially left out the Morgan copy as it has no abrazare.
Brian Stokes
Corporal

Return to Fiore dei Liberi