Colin Richard's book.

Open to public view.

Colin Richard's book.

Postby Matt.C. Rutledge » 12 Jan 2009 22:11

My copy of Fiore's wrestling and Dagger is arriving on Wednesday along with an Arming sword waster and rondel waster :D

I'm can't wait til it gets here! :)
All I can know is what exists.
Matt.C. Rutledge
Captain

Postby Fab » 12 Jan 2009 23:20

That's a good book.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Colin Richards » 14 Jan 2009 10:41

Hi Matt,

Thanks for purchasing the book. We hope that it helps you with your study.

I am sorry that no one has made any extensive review yet, though I know plenty of people have it.

Remember that this book is now nearly 2 years old so if you come to one of my seminars there are changes in my interpretations, though I can assure you that the majority of cases the differences are more refinements than anything else.

Certain pictures of foot position do not match exactly the Getty position if you use that as a reference, and you should, which is purely my mistake, though many foot positions are not clear in any case. Where there are glaring differences the actual precise execution of technique due to foot position my not be that great, try both positions and see what works. Everything is a work in progress anyway!

Also I show very much the same initial footwork (step of the line with the forward foot and slightly forward) throughout the book which is of course not the only foot work you can use. You can and should train all techniques with every variation of footwork you can reasonably think of. While training I have about 6 variations of footwork which can be used, though some work best in certain situation. This is of course another level of practice and should not be attempted until you are familiar with the standard responses, unless of course you want to!

By the way I always reference the actual treatise when I am teaching and showing the positions to students - I never use my book. You can use the book to help with the pathway through the technical maze but please be sure to endlessly reference the original.

All in all many knowledgeable people have told me that it is a useful work, and I hope you find it so too!

All the best

Col
Colin Richards
Founder, Head Instructor
Arts of Mars HEMA Academy,
HEMAC Member
Author: Fiore Dei Liberi 1409: Wrestling and Dagger (English and German)
Author: DVD Medieval Combat Italian Longsword from the Treatises of Fioire dei Liberi 1409
Colin Richards
Sergeant

Postby Matt.C. Rutledge » 15 Jan 2009 03:24

Colin Richards wrote:Hi Matt,

Thanks for purchasing the book. We hope that it helps you with your study.

I am sorry that no one has made any extensive review yet, though I know plenty of people have it.

Remember that this book is now nearly 2 years old so if you come to one of my seminars there are changes in my interpretations, though I can assure you that the majority of cases the differences are more refinements than anything else.

Certain pictures of foot position do not match exactly the Getty position if you use that as a reference, and you should, which is purely my mistake, though many foot positions are not clear in any case. Where there are glaring differences the actual precise execution of technique due to foot position my not be that great, try both positions and see what works. Everything is a work in progress anyway!

Also I show very much the same initial footwork (step of the line with the forward foot and slightly forward) throughout the book which is of course not the only foot work you can use. You can and should train all techniques with every variation of footwork you can reasonably think of. While training I have about 6 variations of footwork which can be used, though some work best in certain situation. This is of course another level of practice and should not be attempted until you are familiar with the standard responses, unless of course you want to!

By the way I always reference the actual treatise when I am teaching and showing the positions to students - I never use my book. You can use the book to help with the pathway through the technical maze but please be sure to endlessly reference the original.

All in all many knowledgeable people have told me that it is a useful work, and I hope you find it so too!

All the best

Col

Hey Colin, just got it in the mail not more then an hour ago

I was rather surprised to see it written in both English and German. The first section is a good overview of what Fiore and HEMA are. I also like the drill with the 4 abrazare guards. From what I can see my only complaint is the bilingual writing. It's somewhat distracting. Outside of that the book looks good.
All I can know is what exists.
Matt.C. Rutledge
Captain

Return to Fiore dei Liberi