SG-7 Hull

Open to public view.

Re: SG-7 Hull

Postby The Guardsman » 29 Apr 2010 16:46

Bugger!

Right, I've rung around and informed everyone that tonight is cancelled. We will be on next week!

I would like to discuss training and frequency of classes at next weeks session too.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Listen, Observe, Be Silent

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Location: In Yorkshire, tending to my mill, eating fish and chips and playing with knives.

Postby Matt T » 30 Apr 2010 11:04

Are you thinking of changing days or increasing the number?

Matt
Matt T
Private

Postby The Guardsman » 30 Apr 2010 12:38

Well, decreasing the days, but increasing the time of the lessons.

At the moment we average around 3 students per lesson, which just about covers the hall money wise. I was thinking that limiting training would encourage people to be able to plan specifically for that session and be able to stay longer for a small increase in fees. That would enable people to save and buy equipment, then after a few months we could go back to once a week and be fully loaded kit wise.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Location: In Yorkshire, tending to my mill, eating fish and chips and playing with knives.

Postby Matt T » 30 Apr 2010 13:27

Sounds like a good idea. Something like every other week but for 2-2.5 hours sort of thing?

Matt
Matt T
Private

Postby The Guardsman » 30 Apr 2010 16:58

Yes something like that!

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 09 May 2010 16:54

Ok no training this week, contact me if you want to do some informal work. Next training session will be the 20th of May start time is 7pm finish time will be around 9.15 - 9.30pm. The price will increase slightly to £5 to cover the extra hour in the hall.

I'll post a whole timetable of session dates on here over the weekend.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 13 May 2010 13:36

The Guardsman wrote:Ok no training this week, contact me if you want to do some informal work. Next training session will be the 20th of May start time is 7pm finish time will be around 9.15 - 9.30pm. The price will increase slightly to £5 to cover the extra hour in the hall.

I'll post a whole timetable of session dates on here over the weekend.

My classes will run from 7pm-9.30pm every first and third Thursday of the month. This will start from next week 20th May. Then the following dates.

3rd June, 17th June

1st July, 15th July, 29th July

5th August

I will post more dates nearer August.

Those of you wanting to do more training on an informal basis are welcome to contact me and I will be available(usually) for the Thursdays inbetween training.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby Matt T » 17 May 2010 09:32

Cool.
Just to let you know well in advance, I am on holiday over the 1st July and I am at a wedding on the 29th, so won't be about for those sessions. Will speak to you about doing some training on some of the off weeks to make up for missing those sessions.

Matt
Matt T
Private

Postby The Guardsman » 18 May 2010 16:02

Matt T wrote:Cool.
Just to let you know well in advance, I am on holiday over the 1st July and I am at a wedding on the 29th, so won't be about for those sessions. Will speak to you about doing some training on some of the off weeks to make up for missing those sessions.

Matt

No probs Matt.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 21 May 2010 10:14

2.5 hours of abrazare and dagger!

We covered fundamentals of abrazare and had a little sparring session afterwards, closely followed by applying the skills learned from abrazare to dagger fighting. Unarmed defenders were concentrating on taking the fight to the attacker and locking them up or throwing them as soon as they saw movment from the dagger arm.

Nice!

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 26 May 2010 11:50

Informal sparring and fitness training will take place every other thursday on an ad hoc basis from our set training dates within the church hall.

These sessions are free but will be restricted to weather conditions and my availability. I will always(if possible) let you know details a couple of days in advance.

This first session will be held at the playing fields in Preston, which is on my doorstep! I will try and rotate informal sessions based on your location, but I can't set things in stone. A majority of these sessions will be near where I live, for obvious reasons.

Informal sparring this week will be here:
7pm - 8pm

South holderness SC
Station road
Preston
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU12 8UW

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby Andy O » 26 May 2010 19:26

Hi Neil,
I'm working late tomorrow night. So I won't get there in time.

I will let Scott know.
Andy O
Recruit in training

Postby The Guardsman » 27 May 2010 11:53

Cool....use the sports centre car park(as its free and secure) then just look for a snicketway with a large hedge and metal railings to the rear of the car park, beyone that is a football pitch which is never used. I'll be on there around 7pm.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 29 May 2010 12:59

Well done to Scott who turned up for training and put in a great effort running up and down the football pitch while doing lots of circuit training exercises.

No pain, no gain!

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 06 Jun 2010 14:26

We had a really good long session of cutting drills and drilling in general, finished off with a good 45mins of sparring. Some really good technique from everyone, lots of fast and aggressive palm striking to the face when close up, some grappling, and loads of double tapping with snipes.

I decided to make this compulsary now, that sniping isn't a one hit wonder and must be followed up with another hit. Also I'm encouraging people to keep defending themselves even if they have been hit, instead of freezing and calling the shot.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 14 Jul 2010 09:38

Hi Chaps,

Tomorrows training is on, but it will be the last session for a while. The reason being, I have just bought a house and will be moving, packing etc. I will also be doing several Health and safety courses and working rights laws courses for the union at work. At present I have no idea how this will affect training dates in the future, but For at least the next two months I will be unable to make classes.

Regards,

Neil

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby Matt T » 14 Jul 2010 15:52

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

:( :( :cry: :cry:

After my hols I was looking forward to getting back into it and using the new nylon swords.

By moving you don't mean moving away from the area?

Will the odd informal pick up sessions be off the cards as well?

Matt
Matt T
Private

Postby The Guardsman » 14 Jul 2010 16:07

Matt T wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

:( :( :cry: :cry:

After my hols I was looking forward to getting back into it and using the new nylon swords.

By moving you don't mean moving away from the area?

Will the odd informal pick up sessions be off the cards as well?

Matt

I'm only moving a mile down the road Matt. I can still do the odd informal session now and then. As for the nylon swords I'd like to chat to everyone about those tomorrow evening. I thought it would be better if i let you know what was going on before buying the swords. So I still have the money, those that still want a sword can order one, if not you can have your cash back, but due to the number of swords ordered the price will be a little more than £25

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby Matt T » 14 Jul 2010 16:17

Right o.

A whole mile you say!

I definitely still want one of the swords.

Matt
Matt T
Private

Postby The Guardsman » 16 Jul 2010 14:24

Hi Chaps,

As we discussed in training last night, I am officially mothballing SGVII. This is down to a number of things, a large proportion of which is work related and time constraints dictating when I can teach etc.

I will still be doing informal sparring, and welcome you all to do some research into things you would like to do. The informal sparring will not be under the Schola umbrella purely for legal/insurance reasons, basically we will be a group of consenting adults that turn up at an arranged place and practice our hobby together. If you are happy with this then so am I. Email or pm me here for training.

Thanks for attending classes so far, you have all been great students and it has been a pleasure to teach you under the Schola name. Thanks go to Matt who trusted me enough to hold a chapter of Schola, at some point in the future I may be asking him again for the chapter to be reopened.

I will still be training, travelling around and available for workshop sessions. If any Scholerites are dropping by Hull(god knows why you would!) do feel free to look me up for training and drinks. I have loved having my own class and learned so much. I would urge any free scholar to have a bash at coaching/teaching, it does nothing but improve your knowledge and confidence with HEMA. We should all strive to introduce people to this underrated art. Schola is, has and always will be a decent and safe environment for people of any background to share in what I have found to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Regards,

Neil

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria