SG-7 Hull

Open to public view.

SG-7 Hull

Postby admin » 01 Oct 2008 10:37

SG7 in Hull, East Yorkshire, on Monday evenings, under Neil Johnson, covers Fiore's dei Liberi's dagger and wrestling, some modern comparative material, Irish stick fighting, Bartitsu and other stick-based styles.
7.30pm - 9.00pm. Soccer Sensations, Poor House Lane, Preston Road, Hull, HU9 5DF.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby The Guardsman » 07 Oct 2008 12:13

I took my first class last night. A strange advertising quirk put me back a bit with the actual gym hall as they won't promote private events, so I had to rely on some last minute fly posting in the local pubs and chip shops.

I ended up dragging people out of the gym and into class and split my hour and a half lesson into two 45 min taster sessions with two different groups of people.

I left the doors of the hall open to let the casual observer have a nosey about and some people came asking questions and showed interest for next week, so thats good news.

The last set of people are coming back next weekwith another one or two and hopefully some mates I'm going to pressgang into it.

So the lessons went like this.

Fundamentals of Dagger, covering strikes and blocks.

flowing drills, attack,block/counter,attack

Then onto more showy locks and binds.

I threw in a little abrazare here and there to mix it up a little(thanks to some safety matts).

I enjoyed it and so did the students so thats a good start. More next week.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Listen, Observe, Be Silent

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Location: In Yorkshire, tending to my mill, eating fish and chips and playing with knives.

Postby The Guardsman » 10 Jan 2009 14:07

I'm currently looking to set up shop on new premises in a different area of the east riding, the place has more people with disposable cash and many of the museum staff are already interested. I'll be sticking to dagger and sword, Fiore style.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Location: In Yorkshire, tending to my mill, eating fish and chips and playing with knives.

Postby The Guardsman » 24 Mar 2009 15:04

Well not alot has been happening over the last few months in regards to a class as such, but I will be teaching soon.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council, who I work for now btw has agreed to let me run some unarmed vs dagger workshops.

I have taken some illustrations from Novati and made a nice little booklet with explanations in modern english as a keepsake for people who attend. Included in this booklet is a list of schola clubs and this website as well as some aknowlegements and a few tips of the hat to certain individuals here.

As soon as it has been vetted and copyrighted by the publication dept of the council I will bring a stack to fightcamp.

As well as this, I have been involved with organizing a Dark ages day with loads of fun viking types in East Yorkshire, mainly working with a chap called Neil Evans whose mug you can see on all the Jorvik promo stuff. They have a very very similar attitude to HEMAists in regards to fighting and those fencing lot would shit a small mammal if they saw the lack of safety equipment these guys use. As well as reenacting they have a good martial sense of what is a crock of poo and what isn't. If I find a vid I'll post it.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby admin » 24 Mar 2009 15:59

:lol: small mammal.
Great stuff Neil! Glad to hear you're staying busy.

admin
Emperor

SG7 invades SG6 with a dagger

Postby Paul B » 27 Apr 2009 13:04

Most of the still shots turned out a bit poo due to lighting in the hall, but we will see what comes of the video....

.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby The Guardsman » 28 Apr 2009 16:10

nice! good to see you got my bald patch in there :wink:

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 25 Jun 2009 15:43

A Knight for a Night July/August

Skidby Windmill

With Neil Johnson

England in the Middle Ages was a dangerous place to live, when knights and nobles had to contend both with foreign wars and more local conflicts such as the Wars of the Roses and revolting peasants. Six hundred years ago, the medieval fighting master ‘Fiore dei Liberi’ wrote a treatise on Knightly martial arts, full of helpful advice on when and where to use the techniques he describes against opponents. Neil Johnson will be running a series of four workshops at Skidby, in which he will:
• Give a presentation on Fiore, his fighting techniques and the principles behind medieval knightly combat
• Teach the basics of dagger defence
• Show some of the more intricate ways of disarming an attacker, using medieval techniques

The workshops are for adults aged 16+, and all levels of fitness are welcomed. There will be a short warm-up session before the dagger-defence class begins!

Wear:
• Loose, comfortable clothing, such as trainers and track suit

Cost: £6

Time: 6.30pm – 9pm
Dates: 2 July, 16 July, 6 August,
20August

To book a place on any of these workshops, call Skidby Windmill for booking using the booking reference(s) below:

2 July Knight 1
16 July Knight 2
6 August Knight 3
20 August Knight 4

01482 848 405

Booking link: http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/events/det ... x?id=28117

If the page looks blank just scroll down!

There is a search function on the website, choose location as skidby and month as july or august depending on which class you want to attend.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 02 Oct 2009 09:04

SG-7 Now holds regular classes on Thursday nights

6:30pm - 7:30pm

St. Peters Church Hall

Bilton

£3 per session

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby admin » 02 Oct 2009 12:31

Huzzah!

admin
Emperor

Postby Colin F. » 02 Oct 2009 16:04

Nice work!!! With half term coming up and me going to Hull, I 'll see if I can make it to the session that week.
SG6 - Bradford - Instructor

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby The Guardsman » 03 Oct 2009 12:15

The vicar who runs the place is a pretty cool guy. He won't let the white pyjama types train there for differences in belief on religious grounds, and he gave us the hall for a tenner instead of £17.50. Top bloke.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 16 Oct 2009 09:33

Ok so the class is slowly gathering momentum. Three students now.

Last night we:

Worked on cardio and core training.

Longsword cutting drills. Feet, posture, elbows, hands, etc

Paired drills, cut, cover, thrust, cross, counter cut.

Paired drills using blade grab techniques.

All went rather well.

Next week Abrazare + Longsword.

Home work run 1 Mile in 15mins and do 20 continuous press ups by next week. Choose 2 techniques each from the longsword part of the treatise.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby The Guardsman » 24 Oct 2009 13:38

Ok so all my students did their homework

We accidentally covered some sword in one hand plays. As my students unwittingly chose plays from this section of the treatise instead of the longsword part.

But it was quite interesting and for me personally I found it a really good transition/bridging tool from dagger to longsword. Really having never looked properly at this section, I wondered why, mainly because its nice and nippy and answers some dagger questions as well as longsword ones.

In fact I probably learnt more this week than my students did, so er, thanks guys!

Next week begins a true learning syllabus, its going to be timetabled and everything.

Starting with Gioco Largo, I've split it in to eight lessons to be taught in series. We will end the lesson with some practical coaching of attacks, my students will be hammering me while I say 'well done , but bend your knees next time' or 'remember your cover' etc.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby J Marwood » 24 Oct 2009 16:03

Sounds like you're going great guns Neil. Well done :)
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Matt T » 29 Oct 2009 13:24

Hi there,

My name is Matt Trindall and I have had an interest in european martial arts for sometime now. I moved to Beverley in East Yorkshire a couple of years ago and was looking for somewhere nearby to begin learning about it but couldn't find anywhere close by so nothing more came of it. But now, would you believe it! I was doing a search for the Reclaiming the Blade DVD and swordfighting and up popped the Schola Gladiatoria website which mentioned a club in Hull! And checking the forums it seems Neil has had it running on and off for the last year, but now it seems to have picked up. It seems my prayers have been answered.
I am going to try to pop along tonight and get my first taster as I have been longing to learn about EMA for a while.

Matt
Matt T
Private

Postby admin » 29 Oct 2009 13:28

Welcome to the forum Matt, happy you found us.

admin
Emperor

Postby The Guardsman » 29 Oct 2009 13:42

See you tonight Mr. Trindall!

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Postby Colin F. » 29 Oct 2009 15:11

You'll be seeing me too :-P
SG6 - Bradford - Instructor

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby The Guardsman » 29 Oct 2009 15:29

Good show! You can be my crash test dummy. Oh and if you have any spare wasters/shinai that would be a bonus.

AUDI VIDE TACE

Neil Johnson
The Guardsman
Brigadier

Next

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria